Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 11-12-2011, 12:50 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member

Default Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by East82 View Post
First of all A huge thanks to everyone on this forum who've answered my questions, posted how-to's and have given insight.

This has been a few weeks in the making. Not a whole lot of tweaking or mods, just some basics and some cosmetic enhancements. I replaced the spark plug, wire and cover as recommended (All NGK) and it DOES make a difference. Put on an oversized fuel filter, put zip ties on fuel line connections (not too tight, just snug) and siliconed the intake. My tensioner mod is holding up. Here are some ,model numbers of the parts:
  • Spark plug - NGKB5HS
  • Spark plug cover - NGKTB05EM-R
  • Fuel filter - WIX 33001

...and some pics.
Oh, forgot to mention that the spark plug cover is made for jet skis and waterproof. Last pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0525.JPG (215.6 KB, 47 views)

"Time doesn't exist, clocks exist"
Old 11-12-2011, 01:12 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-7HEAVEN View Post
Lol, rusty, I'm cheap. I'm not gonna spend time and $$ nitpicking for a 1/20 of a hp loss. My bike is very fast with beaucoup power, just like I need it. I could spend $90 for a custom sprocket from King's. However, the guy never returns my pm's or emails, so no loss. If I DID buy the sprocket, install it and the problem STILL exists, I'm out $90. I COULD buy another $20 Chinese sprocket, but that one could be out of round too. It COULD be a slightly bent bottom cartridge, or it COULD be a defective $10 freewheel. I have a $70 freewheel for my next build. If the 'wheel fails, I MIGHT install the expensive freewheel.

Nah, I'll just screw on another cheap, used freewheel and keep riding it to work daily, like I've been doing for the past 6 months. :

Hey! If the failed 'wheel IS the culprit, then I will have fixed the problem and regained the hp loss...for free!
I always think in my sleep, and this is what I figured out:

Another reason why the chain goes loose/tight/loose/tight is because of the gearbox sprocket position interrelationship with the chainring sprocket AND each other.

It is very similar to adjusting the alternator/generator pulley on an old car.

This was established when the Scooterguy mount was first bolted on. Both adjustments are slightly above and about 5" from the gearbox sprocket. Each adjustment has a radial/circumference relationship towards each other, which then rotates the gearbox sprocket along its own tiny orbital path. Every shift along the circumference on one adjustment alters the path of the other adjusting point. That is why the "pulling" side of the chain (gearbox sprocket pulling clockwise from the chainring sprocket) is ALWAYS tighter than the "following" side/trailing side of the engine chain.

So basically I MIGHT be able to readjust the mounting position, until the chain is the same tension on the "pulling" side and the "trailing" side.

This might eliminate the tight/loose/tight/loose predicament.....for free!

Last edited by 5-7HEAVEN; 11-12-2011 at 01:21 PM.
Old 11-12-2011, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by East82 View Post
First of all A huge thanks to everyone on this forum who've answered my questions, posted how-to's and have given insight.

This has been a few weeks in the making. Not a whole lot of tweaking or mods, just some basics and some cosmetic enhancements. I replaced the spark plug, wire and cover as recommended (All NGK) and it DOES make a difference. Put on an oversized fuel filter, put zip ties on fuel line connections (not too tight, just snug) and siliconed the intake. My tensioner mod is holding up. Here are some ,model numbers of the parts:
  • Spark plug - NGKB5HS
  • Spark plug cover - NGKTB05EM-R
  • Fuel filter - WIX 33001

...and some pics.
That's a nice looking ride, congrats on a cool build.

-=-

Any day that starts with a good ride is already a better day, and a bad day riding still beats a good day working.

My Builds: My Beast, Harley59's bike, my Cruiser
Old 11-12-2011, 02:18 PM

Definitely cool East82.

5-7 interesting theory, you should pop the chain - turn the rear a half turn - and see if that helps, if the engine chain and sprocket are out just a little in the opposite direction that might fix it. gl ^^)

Have you tried a different plug wire CT?

Ahh, the joys of Chinese production processes Still beats pedaling, when things work right.

*shakes fist at things that don't work right*

Old 11-12-2011, 02:22 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member

I also replaced the tires with Cheng Shin.

Cheng Shin Link

"Time doesn't exist, clocks exist"

Last edited by East82; 11-12-2011 at 02:26 PM.
Old 11-12-2011, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killercanuck View Post
Definitely cool East82.

5-7 interesting theory, you should pop the chain - turn the rear a half turn - and see if that helps, if the engine chain and sprocket are out just a little in the opposite direction that might fix it. gl ^^)

Ahh, the joys of Chinese production processes Still beats pedaling, when things work right.

killer, that's easy enough to try!
Old 11-12-2011, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killercanuck View Post

When I swapped CDIs I'm pretty sure I tried the working bike's one on mine, however I will put that at the top of the list for this afternoon, just to be sure. I replaced the wires and boots on the CDIs a couple of months ago with NAPA parts. On that note, I have to make a run over to the NAPA first to pick up some stuff that they had to order in for me. There's a fistful of new plug boots in the box, so I'll make a new plug lead and try it.

-=-

Any day that starts with a good ride is already a better day, and a bad day riding still beats a good day working.

My Builds: My Beast, Harley59's bike, my Cruiser
Old 11-12-2011, 02:38 PM

Killer I love the furious fist shaking at things that piss us all off!!!!....good call
Old 11-12-2011, 04:29 PM

I almost had it started today, but...

I have been trying to get it to fire using a drill on the magneto side of the crankshaft.

WARNING! DO NOT DO THIS!

I had replaced the stock, cheapo nut with a grade 5. I was turning it over fine, getting spark and it was making the chugging-thugging sound of a 2 stroke. I sprayed a little starting fluid in the plug hole, and occasionally into the carb intake.
Then I started getting the occasional bang. The bangs began to come more frequently, until it sounded like it was wanting to start running.

Then......ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ - The sound of the drill spinning without any resistance. The grade 5 nut ate the threads right off the end of the crankshaft!

Back to trying to get it to start manually.
Old 11-12-2011, 06:42 PM

That sucks DRC, do you have a help thread going you can link us to?

Best of luck at taking a Die to the crankshaft end to make it fit a smaller nut... But yea, hey, if it hasn't started by the time you get to the end of the block, something's wrong.

lol Jowens, I'm starting to feel old. New music sucks. New movies suck(except zombies, if they make a Twilighty zombie movie someone in Hollywood will Die)... now I know why my Dad and Granddad shook their fists at me

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner