Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 11-11-2011, 01:21 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasX View Post
5-7HEAVEN, do you have a picture of your tensioner?
I'm picture-illiterate. When my son comes home, I'll have him post one.
Old 11-11-2011, 02:55 PM

I had the same problem tight /loose/ tight/ loose come to find out my rear sprocket wasn't centered perfectly it was pushed forward ever so slightly perhaps an eighth of an inch and that was all it took to do that. So as much as I didn't want to, I took the wheel off again loosened the bolts with a drill and ratchet w/ extension . This time I took a ruler went to the edge of the stud then made a mark on the ruler with a pen and just kept going around the circle with the ruler until the mark fell on the exact same spot... kinda like a protractor. Ended my tight /loose/ tight/ loose chain issue.. I want to see a photo of that tensioner as well perty please!!!!!!
Old 11-11-2011, 04:49 PM

Thanks for the tip, Jumpa!
It MIGHT have been fabbed off-center. Sadly, I don't think I can re-center it, because the sprocket centers(registers) on a freewheel.

I can live with it.

Pics when son returns home tonight.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:40 PM

Listed one of my motorbikes on craigslist today. Need to get a bike or 2 together.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:46 PM

Yesterday I lost spark out on a run. When I got it back to the garage I went over it pretty thoroughly. The CDI tests out on the other bike, so it's okay as far as I know.

Today I changed the magneto out along with the plug. The kill switch is disconnected. I went blue/blue and black/black and got nothing. I went white/black instead and with the choke open and throttle half to wide open I had it running once, but as soon as the throttle closed it died. It doesn't want to repeat the start right now. I pulled the carb, dropped the float bowl. Float's good, lever is good, pin and stem both fine, the barrel lifts when the throttle's twisted, fuel flow is good (when I unscrew the drain with valves open it dribbles freely). I even washed out the crud in the 'air cleaner'/foam as it was looking a bit wet and gritty. Nothing has changed on the whole set-up, except the loss of spark... I'm running out of ideas and things to check. There must be something I've missed or overlooked.

-=-

Any day that starts with a good ride is already a better day, and a bad day riding still beats a good day working.

My Builds: My Beast, Harley59's bike, my Cruiser
Old 11-11-2011, 07:31 PM

CT- have you tried a different plug wire at all? Sometimes those just crap out...

Jumpa(and all)- For those of us not lucky enough to have the sprocket seat nicely on the hub(*shakes fist at the lucky ones* ). When the sprocket's still loose, stuff short pieces of fuel line, or cigarette butts, or whatever fits evenly around the hub. That'll get the sprocket closer to "true" for final tightening. Plus it's easier to keep an eye on it with something there to gauge by than just the gap.

I've just been working around the house(*shakes fist at roofing tar*) and prepping the winter beater for when the salt starts flying. No way I'm taking the 29er out in that, with the J-shaft and all the chrome it'd look like crap inside a week.

Old 11-11-2011, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTripps View Post
Yesterday I lost spark out on a run. When I got it back to the garage I went over it pretty thoroughly. The CDI tests out on the other bike, so it's okay as far as I know.

Today I changed the magneto out along with the plug. The kill switch is disconnected. I went blue/blue and black/black and got nothing. I went white/black instead and with the choke open and throttle half to wide open I had it running once, but as soon as the throttle closed it died. It doesn't want to repeat the start right now. I pulled the carb, dropped the float bowl. Float's good, lever is good, pin and stem both fine, the barrel lifts when the throttle's twisted, fuel flow is good (when I unscrew the drain with valves open it dribbles freely). I even washed out the crud in the 'air cleaner'/foam as it was looking a bit wet and gritty. Nothing has changed on the whole set-up, except the loss of spark... I'm running out of ideas and things to check. There must be something I've missed or overlooked.
Yes ...I agree...you must have over looked something.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:13 PM
Gutter Rider

57, jumpa is correct, both in diagnosis and the fix.

Nice as your spiffy tensioner must be, it should not be dancing!
Your sprocket is out of concentric with the wheel... It's running in an oval.
Basically, it's robbing power.
NOT gud!

So I did re-jet my cns today, but no test run because of rain.
It was at .0305 and I took it down to .029... That's just abt in the ballpark for #68 to #69.
I dropped the circlip on the slide needle down to groovy #5 making it all the way fat and will make adjustments leaning it out as I see how it performs.

lol
My kid was working on an adjacent project and could not see the importance of changing a jet so little, when he saw the fine wire bits I was using... He said it was nothing like what he did on his dirtbikes. I explained to him his bikes were much larger and putting out 40+ hp which gave him at least some leeway in jetting. My tiny little engine is only 48cc and 1 1/2, maybe 2hp on the very best of days! I need every little bit of power I can get to haul my carcass up he would NOT consider to be a hill! lol

Gosh I hope this makes the improvement I need.
If it doesn't, I'll need to set the cns on the shelf and run with the nt for a while.

Fenders... I'm gonna need fenders for the rainy winter WX.
As I was abt to toss some abs inner fender buckets left over from the other kids mustang, it dawned on me that I might be able to cut strips out of them to make fenders for my mab... so I cut them down to only portions I can use, and need to get started on that project quickly... and tires... I got some pretty slick tires on it now. Better mount some with a more aggressive tread so I don't go sliding the wheels out in puddles while turning.
rc
Old 11-11-2011, 11:40 PM

Lol, rusty, I'm cheap. I'm not gonna spend time and $$ nitpicking for a 1/20 of a hp loss. My bike is very fast with beaucoup power, just like I need it. I could spend $90 for a custom sprocket from King's. However, the guy never returns my pm's or emails, so no loss. If I DID buy the sprocket, install it and the problem STILL exists, I'm out $90. I COULD buy another $20 Chinese sprocket, but that one could be out of round too. It COULD be a slightly bent bottom cartridge, or it COULD be a defective $10 freewheel. I have a $70 freewheel for my next build. If the 'wheel fails, I MIGHT install the expensive freewheel.

Nah, I'll just screw on another cheap, used freewheel and keep riding it to work daily, like I've been doing for the past 6 months. :

Hey! If the failed 'wheel IS the culprit, then I will have fixed the problem and regained the hp loss...for free!

Last edited by 5-7HEAVEN; 11-11-2011 at 11:48 PM.
Old 11-12-2011, 12:45 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member

First of all A huge thanks to everyone on this forum who've answered my questions, posted how-to's and have given insight.

This has been a few weeks in the making. Not a whole lot of tweaking or mods, just some basics and some cosmetic enhancements. I replaced the spark plug, wire and cover as recommended (All NGK) and it DOES make a difference. Put on an oversized fuel filter, put zip ties on fuel line connections (not too tight, just snug) and siliconed the intake. My tensioner mod is holding up. Here are some ,model numbers of the parts:
  • Spark plug - NGKB5HS
  • Spark plug cover - NGKTB05EM-R
  • Fuel filter - WIX 33001

...and some pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0526.JPG (343.1 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0527.JPG (326.7 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0528.JPG (251.2 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0529.JPG (177.8 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0530.JPG (253.7 KB, 55 views)

"Time doesn't exist, clocks exist"

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner