Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 10-18-2011, 03:08 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

If I drive like I stole it to work, I get 94mpg. That's with a Tanaka 47R racing engine on my motorized bike, speeds up to 45mph.

If I drive like a sane person, I get 125mpg, and speeds up to 35mph. And less oil splatter.

Simply awesome!
Old 10-18-2011, 03:11 PM

If you are getting oil spray from the carb & filter, maybe you need a longer intake manifold or different filter box. My Tanaka 33 has a little foam donut for an air filter. Kind of hokey for a "$300" motor, but we'll see how it runs! (and if it drips lol)
Old 10-18-2011, 03:14 PM

My grubee didn't want to idle for anything, or idled really high, till I narrowed the plug gap a little. Now it can run the lights without lurching or killing it and starts easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpa View Post
I did this, and it pretty much runs the same just cuts out as the fuel gets used up are you thinking I'm flooding out? I use to have a dark black wet spark plug when i pulled it out however I raised the clip up one notch which tech. would be lowering the needle itself into the carb correct? and now my plug is dry and minimal carbon build up on plug . Still no idle. Thank you Wm Holden
Old 10-18-2011, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycheapskate View Post
If you are getting oil spray from the carb & filter, maybe you need a longer intake manifold or different filter box. My Tanaka 33 has a little foam donut for an air filter. Kind of hokey for a "$300" motor, but we'll see how it runs! (and if it drips lol)
Lol, I'm not changing any part of a perfectly engineered racing engine.

I'll just wipe it up. It might be coming from the slip-fit connections of the Tanaka three-piece pipe. I'll seal the pipes.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:54 PM

Today I had to adjust my brakes. The legislation for this region doesn't cover our bikes very well, it's geared mostly to electric and/or step-through frames. The only thing I did find that seemed consistent was a mandatory stopping distance of 9 m (29' 6") from 30 km/h (18 mp/h or so). I marked out a couple of stripes on the back lane and ran the bikes through it. The wife's stops in half the space. On mine, my brake cable had pulled itself under the edge of the tank and pinched between it and the crossbar, reducing my back braking power pretty badly. I loosened the tank and fished it out, and a couple of small cable ties now keep it pulled clear by going around the tank studs on that side. Now that it's freed up, I go over the end line by about a half a rim with no additional tweaking. That'll do for now.

After that we went out for a cruise over to check the PO Box, have a coffee and back. Around 20 km (12 mi), not bad. I did most of it barely above idle (30 kp/h/18 mp/h), since my wife's bike is a bit slower than mine, and that's where she's comfortable with it for now.

We stopped at the Canadian Tire for another bottle of 2-stroke oil and a few odds and ends on the way back. Answered questions everywhere we went, though not as many as we did on our trip towards downtown earlier in the week.

-=-

Any day that starts with a good ride is already a better day, and a bad day riding still beats a good day working.

My Builds: My Beast, Harley59's bike, my Cruiser
Old 10-18-2011, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpa View Post
I did this, and it pretty much runs the same just cuts out as the fuel gets used up are you thinking I'm flooding out? I use to have a dark black wet spark plug when i pulled it out however I raised the clip up one notch which tech. would be lowering the needle itself into the carb correct? and now my plug is dry and minimal carbon build up on plug . Still no idle. Thank you Wm Holden
I'd close the plug gap a little as suggested...so it does not appear to be flooding out..or "loading up" as I've heard it called.

Mine is acting peculiar...if I pin the throttle open..it gets up to about 24mph...then if I close the petcock it starts screaming up to 32mph...just before it would start to cut out..if I open the petcock...it will stay screaming at 32....I think it has to do with the hotter engine being able to handle the extra fuel a "relatively" cold engine can not. I'm guessing though..oh and i've lowered the float so far if I go any lower it won't run right at all.

Put on some medium height narrow "ape hangers" today....because i bought a custom hand made gas tank yesterday and refuse to let it get dented by the handle bars.
Old 10-19-2011, 01:56 AM

I assembled my Dax Friction Drive with the Tanaka 33 that was listed for $89, and made my own remote throttle control/tester and plastic u-bolt to frame pads made of milk jug cut-outs. :-) What a wonderful day. Now just waiting for daylight to fire it up so the neighbors don't hate.

I'm using the bare cable, a little rough. Tip: thinner gear-specific cable works best, and shrink wrapping the cable after running it through the smaller hole (housing side) would probably help a lot, for finger comfort. The control works with 2 fingers or thumb easily. (do not grease cable where it touches fingers!) I am trying it out tomorrow, waiting for worm-clamp throttle lever from friend via USPS.

Last edited by happycheapskate; 10-19-2011 at 01:58 AM.
Old 10-19-2011, 02:02 AM
Gutter Rider

Interesting temp throttle. Simple enough in a pinch
Old 10-19-2011, 02:03 AM

Jumpa, you've gotta adjust your float to allow the fuel bowl to stay filled. You can also remove the gastank/petcock inline filter and put in a higher quality inline filter to improve flow at high rpm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J96gcKODYJY
Old 10-19-2011, 02:05 AM

re: test throttle. Yeah, it was made to do until I get the plastic lever with hose clamp. I also plan to use one on my monster-tiller. This is a great test tool, as you can see where you want to install your lever, or run the motor while testing different handlebars or grips.

If you zip tie the cable to the stem or bar, or ziptie the tester to the bar or grip, it can function long term but it is a little wierd.

I got the idea from some custom brake levers on a high-end hand-built bicycle. There were two stalks per side of the handlebar, with a length of cable between them, and the brakes were actuated by pulling the cables with any fingers the rider chooses. Very cool! I could not duplicate them even in a rough fashion, so this was my there-I-fixed-it answer.

Last edited by happycheapskate; 10-19-2011 at 02:08 AM.

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner