Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 10-12-2011, 09:59 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycheapskate View Post
Hi, CTripps, if there is a spoke ever poking the tube, there is a serious problem with the wheel. If it is a single wall rim, where the nipples are un-guarded, you can use a couple wraps of Gorilla Tape, my favorite rim strip ever.

If it is a double wall rim, the spokes should not be able to impact the tube at all. Gorilla tape is still good for these rims. Just stretch a length out 4" more than the circumference, and nick with a blade and tear a strip in size needed. 2 wraps should hold even the highest PSI tire combos.
I've only had a spoke related problem once, and I don't do business with that bike shop any more. I was working, so I had my wife go in with the wheel for me, with the list of what I wanted done. They ignored truing the wheel and fitted it with a new new tube and tire, leaving a rim full of spaghetti spokes. If you even mention motorizing to them they put on the "We're TRUE CYCLISTS" attitude and then treat you worse than a Hummer driver. In Vancouver there's only about 20 more bike shops, so I have other options. Anyway, still not sure what caused the puncture this time, but I washed the rim and tire out thoroughly by hand and didn't find anything. My rim is lined with some sort of blue band, can't recall the name on it right now. It looked to be in great condition, smooth all around etc. It's strange that even with a new tire this puncture was in the same place as my last two tubes, a couple of spokes from the valve stem, on the outside/treadside of the wheel.

So today I changed the fuel line to a bit of 3/16" ID line I bought from NAPA, and went for a test burn up and down the lane, seems to be good. I'll change the line on the other bike tomorrow, probably. Got all my carriers and gear back on as well. It felt weird not having that weight on the bike for the test run. I discovered the right side carrier had worn through the sheathing on my rear shift cable. No strands were broken, so I greased it, sheathed it with a bit of pvc tubing, and double wound it with "magic wrap" tape. Hopefully I have it positioned now so that it doesn't wear too quickly.

The weather's supposed to clear for a few days, so we should get some good rides in.

-=-

Any day that starts with a good ride is already a better day, and a bad day riding still beats a good day working.

My Builds: My Beast, Harley59's bike, my Cruiser
Old 10-12-2011, 11:33 PM

put on saddlebags

Old 10-13-2011, 10:23 PM

Wow, those bike stands are pricey! After using some stacked 2x4 cutoff a couple of times I put this together. If there was any real weight on it, I'd put straps or something between the legs. But it works good with deck screws holding it together.

edit- Looking awesome Holden!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stand.JPG (247.0 KB, 38 views)
Old 10-14-2011, 12:13 AM
Staff

Balancing from above Killer?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6Sxv-sUYtM
Old 10-14-2011, 01:37 AM

Today I installed new fenders and a sprung Kore chain tensioner for the main chain.

This should eliminate all chain slap I get between crank chains when the chains get a little loose!
Old 10-14-2011, 02:07 AM

Today I swapped out the stock fuel line on the secod bike to the NAPA 3/16" line, and then we went for a ride. We were out for around 5 hours or so. Went a fair distance, over 25 km round trip but it was with a fair bit of traffic so we weren't going very fast. Plus the outbound trip was mostly uphill, great for the 48T sprocket, a bit of work for me on the 36T.

The final destination today was a shop called The Bike Doctor. I was out for dual brake levers, and got a couple, but while I was there I was busier answering questions for people and so on. Customers and the store's owner and staff were all over our two bikes, and unlike the shop with attitude problems, they were all grinning and loved them. (No one wanted to ride, nor would I let them, busy street). I know where my money's going now when I need more professional bike help.
However, while there I asked about stands. They can order in a few different types, but they had a small one there that I picked up. They will take internet orders, I asked. There's a couple of pics below, click here for a gallery of the thing.
Looking at it, it would be pretty easy to make something like this, the base could be made from a pair of old handlebars, and someone clever with a welder shouldn't have any problem making the upright.

-=-

Any day that starts with a good ride is already a better day, and a bad day riding still beats a good day working.

My Builds: My Beast, Harley59's bike, my Cruiser
Old 10-14-2011, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killercanuck View Post
Wow, those bike stands are pricey! After using some stacked 2x4 cutoff a couple of times I put this together. If there was any real weight on it, I'd put straps or something between the legs. But it works good with deck screws holding it together.

edit- Looking awesome Holden!
Thanks!
I'm doing a complete redesign of the seat..back...it's just not stout enough for what I need...dropped $50 on steel and a spring seat (original just rides too rough)
and I've decided the new looks better anyhow...
Old 10-14-2011, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Balancing from above Killer?
Nah, I just rests on the chain stays. Can't drink around it, heh heh. If I had a couple of tire quick-releases, a clamp could be made easy enough. It'd need to be a couple inches wider to get at the nuts. Or just screw a flat bar into the wood over the stays, hmm, next time a bikes on there I'll try that. The pyramid shape is very stable.

/coffee-fueled-thought-process
Old 10-14-2011, 12:56 PM

re: pricey stands. Well, you probably only have to buy one for a lifetime, and they are made to fold up in cars and allow you to tune your complete bike on race day. If you mash your top tube (or some seat posts!) or mar up your bike it could cost you more than $80 easily.
Old 10-14-2011, 08:43 PM

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner