Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 10-03-2011, 04:56 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Aleman View Post
I'm beginning to wonder if the 3000 mile mark is unlucky for me and MaBs. The last motorized bicycle I had that made it to 3K broke the frame around that mark. Thankfully, it didn't happen to me this time, but my bike "OCD" hit the 3K mark and promptly munched a chain and got a flat tire. I was expecting the (very beat-up) chain to munch, but not the flat tire. Argh.

So, I decided it was time to give the girl some well-deserved TLC. Off went the 4G, then the engine, then the gas tank. Turned the bike upside down and pulled the wheels. Pulled out the Simple Green and some rags and scrubbed off all that road dirt she'd been accumulating.

To-do list for the next day or two:
replace tires with a pair of Kenda Kiniptions that I got a great deal on
change oil, install Drainzit #1010 remote oil drain hose
drill out and tap all 4 engine base holes for conversion to SAE 1/4" stud
upgrade cable holders from zipties to rubberized clamps
replace all 3 chains, replace 4G belt

Things I need to do, but can't do quite yet:
get wheelstand rewelded (need welder, but he's busy)
replace jackshaft and jackshaft mount (jackshaft is slightly bent, mount is chewed up)
replace crank sprocket assembly with regeared HD version (have in toolbox, need 1 more sprocket)

Good times, good times.
I've been told that the average bike gets ridden only 75 miles.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:21 AM

lol 5-7, I've heard that too. Of course, that's the average department store bike! Back in the 80's I received a yellow Diamond Back MTB for my birthday, my first non-BMX at the time. I put over 50K miles on that bike and sold it to a guy who really needed it when I got my first car in '93. After the novelty of being a cager wore off, I bought a '96 Schwinn Cruiser Six and put over 32k on that one before it got stolen. Owned a couple department store bikes since, but they were all heavily modified and ridden a lot!

None of my bikes have been ordinary, and neither are the bikes many of us MaBers ride!
Heck, some of you take trips longer than 75 miles in one day!
Old 10-03-2011, 12:01 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member

last year i was peddeling 10miles everyday to go to work but this year i go with my chinagirl and its alot faster. i should be getting my new motor for my second build today so i might be busy for a couple days. i should take my motor apart to clean it and grease the bearings in it.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:58 PM

How did the hubs hold up on that 50,000 mile bike? Wow, that's an awful lot of riding!

50,000 / 30 (miles a day every day) = 1666 or 1667 days

1667 days = a little over 4 1/2 years!
Old 10-03-2011, 08:43 PM

They held up pretty good, Happy, I cleaned them out every other year in the 6 years I had the bike and used nothing but Phil Wood grease. The bearings never needed replacement! I rode that bike everywhere, rain or shine, sometimes with my girlfriend on the rear pegs!

She sure was happy when I got a car lol
Old 10-04-2011, 04:26 PM

I tell my wife that "cyclists make better lovers." She agrees with me happily...until I put her bike on the car. lol.

I'm hoping maybe an e-bike hub kit or little friction drive kit might make her more willing to bike. She complains "It's too hot" all summer, then when it is cool, she says it is "too cold." I want to pawn her tv.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:02 AM

Avery wise person told me the answer So I did what he said to do and drilled a very small hole in the black stock air filter "Make sure you take out the spongy filter or it will all come out the little hole whether you want it to or not!" Trust me on that one! !! Now every morning before my ride to work I squirt a shot of starting fluid, & the second,I let out the clutch she is running like a Kenyan in the Boston Marathon!
Old 10-05-2011, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Aleman View Post
I'm beginning to wonder if the 3000 mile mark is unlucky for me and MaBs. The last motorized bicycle I had that made it to 3K broke the frame around that mark. Thankfully, it didn't happen to me this time, but my bike "OCD" hit the 3K mark and promptly munched a chain and got a flat tire. I was expecting the (very beat-up) chain to munch, but not the flat tire. Argh.

So, I decided it was time to give the girl some well-deserved TLC. Off went the 4G, then the engine, then the gas tank. Turned the bike upside down and pulled the wheels. Pulled out the Simple Green and some rags and scrubbed off all that road dirt she'd been accumulating.

To-do list for the next day or two:
replace tires with a pair of Kenda Kiniptions that I got a great deal on
change oil, install Drainzit #1010 remote oil drain hose
drill out and tap all 4 engine base holes for conversion to SAE 1/4" stud
upgrade cable holders from zipties to rubberized clamps
replace all 3 chains, replace 4G belt

Things I need to do, but can't do quite yet:
get wheelstand rewelded (need welder, but he's busy)
replace jackshaft and jackshaft mount (jackshaft is slightly bent, mount is chewed up)
replace crank sprocket assembly with regeared HD version (have in toolbox, need 1 more sprocket)

Good times, good times.
WTH is a remote oil drain hose All I can picture is you holding a radio control for a T-MAXX hitting the switch and the oil dumps out ..James Bond style.. Shaken not stirred?!! or do you mean remote as in "hidden well?"?
Old 10-05-2011, 07:26 PM

It's a hose that relocates the drainplug for easier access and less mess. There's very little room for drainplug access with a 4-stroke and SBP shift kit.
I was sick of removing my engine everytime I had to change the oil.

Linky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpa View Post
WTH is a remote oil drain hose All I can picture is you holding a radio control for a T-MAXX hitting the switch and the oil dumps out ..James Bond style.. Shaken not stirred?!! or do you mean remote as in "hidden well?"?
Old 10-05-2011, 08:11 PM

Went out for a ride..to CIBC bank ..to get bank account for PAY PAL only. After account was finalized, I deposited $250.oo The bank refused one of my $50.oo bills and said it was not real!!! Man did I get angry and told them that bill came from the TD bank and that it was real. So before taking it back to other bank, I rode my bike and took the bill to the RCMP station(federal cops) There, the security gaurd told me that it is only administration building and to go about 20 blocks away to get to the RCMP.
So, back on my bike and when I get there, its not the RCMP, but the Edmonton City Police!!!!! They told me that the bill is real!!!! Before I exchange it, I am going to find out how common this misprint is because if it is a one of a kind misprint, then collectors will pay good money for it. Any way my motorized bicycle took me on this run around and back home again. I was in the house, and the motor was iddleing outside, to cool down before turning it off. Just as I was going out the door to shut it off, it turned off all by itself.

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner