Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 09-27-2011, 09:14 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

I hope your back is better soon! I hurt mine picking up my baby! AG! At least it went down in 2 days. I didn't get to ride my bike though. I found an old door and started using it for a ramp to put the bike in the truck.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:00 AM

Thanks for concerns, guys. It's an injury i incurred over 20 years ago. It reoccurs every so often. The last time was four years ago.

My bike is secure at work, as well as all my riding gear. I'll have someone drop me off at work tomorrow. Then I'll ride it home.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:26 AM

today I learned that "final" mounting of the motor takes a few more steps than you'd think.
I think I've had the motor on the bike 7 times now, with a handful of mounting variations. The final setup is pretty cool. Just gotta make a shim or 2 for the mounts, & it'll be time to start aligning the chain. Got a deadline of Sunday night to get it on the road.

I've had to do quite a bit of fabricating on this bike, but it's finally coming together. My buddy has been a great help with making parts & teaching me stuff, so I told him to consider the garage his whenever he needs it. That was a good move....the garage now contains a drill press, a brand new band saw, torque wrenches, tap & die tools, more light, & (my favorite) a full set of ratcheting box wrenches. I'll probably start a build thread...I've still got notes & pics from the process, & maybe somebody use some of the solutions I've got.

Old 09-28-2011, 11:50 AM
Motorized Bicycle Member

I was on my way to school at 730AM, made it almost there, just less than 7/8 of the distance. My pant leg got caught in the motor chain and I skid and stopped from 35-40MPH down to 0MPH in a matter of seconds. Got off my bike to tear out the piece of tiny clothe, nothing was wrong with the motor/gear. So I was just getting ready to hop back on.. I noticed the chain was loose, and guess what... the damn tensioner bent like a mother ****er. So I had to walk it the remaining distance, and got to school at about 815AM. Now I'm waiting to get done with my classes here in 2 hours, (at 1250AM), and see if one of the janitors would be kind enough to help me bend it back in place so I can ride home. I had a nice morning, wouldn't you say? haha

Last edited by Rmerac; 09-28-2011 at 11:59 AM.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:36 PM

Glad you are not hurt rmerac. That is cool you ride an motorized bicycle to school. I rode pedal-bikes a lot, and some kids were real d-bags about it. I had to buy an old road bike and convert it to fixie to keep them from wrecking my racing bike or messing with the gears. Luckily they didn't poke the tires or steal it.

Try getting some long bootlaces to use for leg binders. I like to ride in slacks and usually don't have a problem, but on a windy day once, I burned a pair on the engine fins. Use the shoelaces to wrap the pants (not too tight) so they don't flap. Also, getting some pedal extenders might help, or a longer BB or wider crank. (I don't know what kind of bike you have)
Old 09-28-2011, 01:37 PM

Re final mounting of motor. I mounted mine up as high as I could on the seat tube, and shimmed the mounting plate on the front to get the rear clamp to line up. This makes the chain pass over the left chain stay well enough I don't need the can-opener tensioner.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:43 PM

Nothing wrong with riding to school, or work.
I ride seven miles through the woods every day to work. It's 20 miles on the road, or seven through the forest. I usually take my mountain bike though, it's more fun. But on the occasion, I do take the MB.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:34 PM

Thanks for the tip HC. The motor's riding pretty high now, it's mounted on 2 pucks with U bolts & plates. Looks like there's about a 2mm gap up front I'm making a shim for. Maybe I'm being too anal, but I've seen some of the pics of sheered mounting studs & I don't wanna take the chance.

Got some sweet new black metal fenders with ducktails today at the LBS. They look a little wide for the frame, so the shop told me take em home, see if they fit, & if not I can return em. (Honestly, I'll probably just make em fit). They didn't have the bullet headlight or old school analog speedometer in stock, so the owner said he'll check his house this week to see if he's got some old ones he can sell me. Gotta love the local shops.

Old 09-29-2011, 01:56 AM

installed a longer intake manifold, while test riding it, i accidentally popped a wheelie from idle.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:51 AM

I brought my bike home from work.

I hurt my back at work on Monday, so I had left my motorized bicycle locked and secured at work. Yesterday was spent visiting the doctor and the accountant.Doc gave me muscle relaxants. IRS claimed I owed them $9K, but I got it whittled down to $1600. That was painful too.

This morning I woke up at 60% normal, good enough to drag myself to work. At day's end, I wasn't any better, but put on my protective gear and hobbled into the parking structure. There she rested, my faithful steed, none the worse for spending the night away from home, waiting patiently for her master. My son had suggested that we strap her on the bike rack and carry my motorized bicycle home. However, she had a full tank of gas. It would've been messy if the tank wasn't drained before racking the bike. It seemed like a better idea to hop on the bike, hold on and ride away. My son has never ridden my MB's, so it'd be safer if I brought the beast home. After a thorough inspection,my bike roared to life, I hopped on, slowly rode down three floors of the parking structure and onto the road. This time, it was a joyride instead of a race home. All shifts were made smoothly at a much lower rpm. Traffic was left at a respectable distance behind. Six miles flew by before I realized that I was home. Road bumps went unnoticed by simply lifting my butt off the seat. When I reached home, my son was there to carry the bike upstairs to our apartment.

Home at last! Riding my motorized bicycle six miles was less painful than walking 30 steps to my home.

Time, rest and muscle relaxants do wonders for an aching back. I should be ready to ride to work tomorrow.

I can't wait for daylight!

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner