Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 09-07-2011, 09:51 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

I think I'm on to something that I know several others have surely known for a while but it just hasn't been said lately....

Took the old black Mountain Bike that I worked on yesterday pulled the 26" rear wheel off with the 41T sprocket and put a 32T sprocket on a 24" wheel I had and after completely taking all the internals out of the wheel and cleaning & repacking the bearings and oiling the freewheel bearing I put this 24" wheel on the old 26" mountain bike, all I can say is WOW................!!!!!!!!!!!

By dropping down to the 24" wheel the overall weight and rotating mass has dropped to the point that this little engine will pull hills like crazy and run a hole in the wind WOT..... It is unbelievable how much of a difference changing to the 24" wheel with the 32T sprocket has made, the negine on this bike is one of the older straight plug engines with the Aluminium intake and it has the 6mm head/jug studs.....I plan to put 24" wheels on the Huffy Karaoke now as well and go with the 32T sprocket I may go down to a 30T.

This thing runs awesome now............I'm really stunned at how much of a difference this made........

Peace, map
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 09072011.jpg (184.6 KB, 35 views)
Old 09-07-2011, 11:30 PM

That is interesting to know, Mapbike. If someone is running a coaster brake rear, that is an easier modification to do (otherwise someone will probably have to weld new brake bosses or a brake bridge to the frame) . It will slacken the steering angle a tad, and lower the pedal clearance a couple inches. Did it seem to make much difference to you when steering? Did you run a tire wider than the 26" one you had previously?

I've seen a few people put 20" wheels on bikes originally with 26" mtn bike wheels. They were used like mini-velos for riding in the city. I don't know if I'd want to go 30mph on 20" tires though! Rough!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3010/...ba80a9471f.jpg
20" wheeled fixie city bike
Old 09-08-2011, 12:06 AM

20" would just be too small for me too, they are to squirrely and even a 32T sprocket would still be to big for my liking, I'm thinking now 24" is just perfect with a smaller sprocket, I'm loving this old bike now......

I temporarily fixed my brake issue by making up some extentions out of Alum. angle, they're working great for now.

I had thought about welding a piece of angle for a bridge to relocate the side pull caliper but didn't have time today so I just rigged up another way until I can get a bridge made from angle iron and put in place, unless I decide to go with a V brake set up and that is also a good possibility.

Main thing is this bike has never performed like it does now with the 24" wheel and 32T sprocket, I'm just amazed at the difference it made in this bike....... I just cant say enough about this, I just can't believe I didn't try this sooner, the benefit in performance is huge.....!

Peace, map
Old 09-08-2011, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildAlaskan View Post
Ordered a motor from Duane goin on my next build

Someone stole my only motor bike so I really just need to get on the road again
I know the feeling, totally sucks! Keep your eye's open, and try not to kill anyone if you do see it(I know, hard not to)
Old 09-08-2011, 11:31 AM

I am sorry to hear that you bike was stolen, WildAlaskan!
Hopefully you can recover it and have 2 MB's.
I second the notion of if you see it, don't attack the perp. No idiot is worth jail time and a criminal record. Just knock the idiot out cold with one swift punch and ride away with your bike like nothing happened.......

Does not come with a fortune cookie."
Old 09-08-2011, 02:54 PM

The worst thing about when someone steals something, is sometimes they sell it, and then the buyer gets attacked and loses the purchase. So two people get screwed. Bike thieves are dirt!
Old 09-08-2011, 04:24 PM

Had the bike on the porch tuning the front brakes, I turn the wheel and wham the bicycle falls on me. The side of the gas tank hit the side back of my head, some blood. Err
Old 09-08-2011, 04:47 PM

had the trailer out to tote some beers in light rain.

Met a nice dood on an ebike goin the other way over the foot bridge. Chatted for a good hour by the bridge. No probs, lots of honey's walking by to talk to, this is around quitting time. Then this one old timer(80 plus) comes by,"how the heck did you build that", so there goes another 1/2 hour... and a card in his hand to have his grand kids help him out, to check out this site. all good.

I finally said "I can't drink here, so if you want to chat more I live around the corner." Sounds creepy, but hey, my beer's getting warm and I can't drink it. Plus this is Canada! \,,/

So it turned out this dude I've been chatting with for a good hour an a 1/2(while honey's are going by) is a pro fisherman in the area, and hooked me up with the best spots to fish, and what bait Pickerel/Perch/Pike like. All for a couple of beers and some chatting about MABs. whoo!

Chalk one up for the good days.
Old 09-08-2011, 04:50 PM

dang Acraze, careful of those tank edges, I've sliced my knee open a couple times on that edge. haven't nailed my head yet though. *knocks wood*
Old 09-08-2011, 05:28 PM

Made a new high flow air filter.

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner