Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 09-04-2011, 01:11 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

I had a similar problem when I jumped a chain on the way to Portland. I loaded my motor bicycle on the light rail back home. when I got off the train there were two uniform TriMet officers waiting for me. They gave me a ticket for two hundred and fifty bucks and sent me on my way.

I went to court and told the judge what happened and he let me off with a warning with a note that if I got another ticket for anything else for two years I would have to pay that two fifty.

the reason for the fine was not the motor but for the gasoline. If my bike was electric there would be no problem.

mike
Old 09-05-2011, 07:59 PM

I made a new clutch plunger for my China girl today (the plunger is between the clutch cam and the marble, inside the drive sprocket). I used a bolt and drilled the end a bit to help it stay on the marble.
I had been unable to adjust my clutch properly for quite a while. I finally figured out that my plunger was a bit too short, from wear or whatever. I found a bolt of similar diameter and cut it a bit longer than my existing plunger. So far, so good.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:48 PM
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member

As a noob here, I'll jump right in if you dont mind.
My 13 year old son and I worked on a motorized bicycle build this weekend. Started out with a mountain bike we got for free but had to change to his mountain bike as the old one had issues. Got the china girl in but couldnt get the spark plug to bend so it would fit in the frame so off to Wally World to pick up a cranbrook. Got the engine in and the gear on the rear tire. what a chore working around the coaster brake. He was very involved in this build and we had a lot of fun. He was putting the shutoff valve into the tank and broke the threads off in the tank. He was in tears as it had been a long day.
I gave him a hug and pulled out the easy outs and got the threads out. Went to the hardware store this morning and picked up a lawn mower shutoff valve and some formula 55 pipe thread sealant for fuel systems.
Got the bike together and the smile on his face was worth all the effort and he rode this thing.
About a half hour later the front engine mount bolts came out and the engine spun locked up the back wheel and skidded the tire. He didnt dump it but pushed it home and wore a hole in the back tire. No problem, we just took a tire off my wifes mountain bike!!!

Tomorrow we will drill and tap the front mounts to 5/16 24 and put some grade 5 bolts in.

No matter what it was a fun project and I have a second engine to mess with and just found a friend with an Schwinn Stingray chopper he'll give me for $40. I think I'll save the engine for that. I believe I'll need an extra long chain but am unsure what to do for a motor mount for the stingray.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:09 PM
Resident Mad Scientist

Still working away, whenever I find a few minutes, on my wife's old cruiser. Polished up the rims until they gleamed. Got some big balloon tires with wide whitewalls to put on them. Loaded the frame into the back of the van, so if I catch myself near the auto part store while I still have money I'm going on in to do some paint-matching. I'm nearly done with this bike, except for painting the fenders.

"There is nothing wrong with wanting a motorbike that is an extension of your personal taste and fashion sense; if you must ride somewhere, I say do it with style!"
Old 09-05-2011, 10:25 PM

I put some sound dampeners in and made a comparison video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUZcD5Cpe2I

Final grade: 7 out of 10 on sound dampeners
They work some, but no great miracles
Old 09-06-2011, 11:01 PM

I put some old Wald mini apes on this old gal today, and I put the original front end back on her, I had front suspension forks on it but just never liked the way it handled and rode with them so we went back to the old school stock forks, put the mini apes on and replaced a broken throttle cable that gave it up today, took her for a 12 mile road trip this afternoon and really enjoyed it, this little engine just pulls so good, it's not the smoothest one I have or the fastest with a comfortable cruise speed of 25-27MPH and a top out at 36mph, but it is my oldest BGF engine with about 1,300 miles on it now and as you can see in the pics below, I beat-em up and get-em very dirty, nothing fancy about it but it is rock solid reliable to this point and I haven't put a wrench on this bike because of a failure in over a year now, hard to complain about that one even though I dont ride it everyday like some do.

Anyway, here is the pics of old reliable and the new/old front end back on her and the mini apes which I wish I would have done a long time ago, darn these bars are comfortable.....! also I built a different exhaust and had a local muffler shop make me a tip I slash cut and brazed on the muffler I made up from a modified lawnmower muffler and brazed on a stock header pipe that is port matched to the head.

Last pic is the way it was until the changes I made today...handles much better now.

Peace, map
Attached Images
File Type: jpg USA Black Bike1.jpg (166.7 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg USA Black Bike2.jpg (157.9 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg USA Black Bike3.jpg (148.8 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg 1st MB_10-06-2010.jpg (173.4 KB, 38 views)

Last edited by mapbike; 09-06-2011 at 11:10 PM.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:59 PM

I'm building my sixth bike black and white Schwinn riverside, I painted the motor black and white the gas tank is white with black flames, and duel pocket bike exhaust sitting on the rear rack. I can't wait to fire this bike up. I have one problem I'm waiting to get a new rubber spacer for the rear gear because one of them was cut like a wedge and the rear gear wobbled. I will post pictures when I'm done.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:15 PM
Staff

Got to do nutton with her today but say good bye on my way to work. Been raining for days here. Sadly, running out of summer too.

Hot Wheels, looking forward to your pics. I built my first Riverside a while back and man, she is a pretty MB. Cracks me up and love it when folks ask "what year is it?' Just has that classic motorized bicycle look. I was real worried about the welds between the dropouts and the seat stays. (was slightly misaligned and really chintzy) but has held up fine. For what I paid for her, could/would gladly make some supports.

Sorry for the ramble. Just a big Riverside fan now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6Sxv-sUYtM
Old 09-07-2011, 09:16 PM

Ordered a motor from Duane goin on my next build

Someone stole my only motor bike so I really just need to get on the road again
Old 09-07-2011, 09:47 PM
Gutter Rider

Man W.A. that is a bummer. Sorry to hear that.

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner