Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 08-30-2011, 05:57 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

I used an Everio family camera with the flip -open viewfinder and ready-for-youtube factory software. I uploaded my video to Microsoft Windows Movie Maker, and just "snipped" anywhere I wanted, and deleted parts less interesting until the video was under 10min. I have some friends who have never ridden a motor bicycle or motorcycle, some who have never ridden a bicycle or haven't since they were little kids, so they wanted a video to see what I was so excited about.

The Everio camera is NOT really good for bike videos. It gets distortion from vibration, and it is very fragile, esp at the point where the viewfinder attaches to the main camera. I just made a 20 minute video cruising around. I am not using it on any more bike videos.

The camera mount was easy though, just a Failblog type There_I_Fixed_it setup, made of steel stock, 2 x 3/8 bolts and hardware, a 1/4 screw, wingnut to mount the camera, some tape for padding, and a filed down deck screw for an anti-rotation pin. Gorrilla tape on the handlebars will prevent camera rotation. Rubber shims did not work the best.

I bent the bracket to place the camera a couple inches higher and right over the bars. When it is far out front, the view swings a lot.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:00 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

installed new tail light its now dark when i leave for work and more traffic now that school is in session i bought one of those turn indicator/brake lightdealys the signal work great but the tail light goes out as soon as i take off so installed a new light and seems to stay on
Old 08-31-2011, 12:08 AM

Finally got a rear wheel on. The new axle was a tiny bit too long, so I had to spread the frame to fit it in. While I was looking for a rim liner I pulled apart an old wheel & discovered this really awesome orange innertube with a fully-threaded nozzle that locks in with a nut. I just got new tubes so I feel obligated to use em.....kinda hope one gets a leak soon, though.

Getting the rear sprocket to true up is the new pain in my butt. After that, gonna re-mount the motor with a hockey puck & start connecting all the dangly parts.

Old 08-31-2011, 03:48 PM

Cool. What kind of innertube is orange? Is it a latex or vinyl tube maybe?
Old 08-31-2011, 04:36 PM
Gutter Rider

Tnx for the pic of your movie rig, Happy.

lol
I really like the FAILblog!
Very, very creative thinking over there! lol

Okay! I popped my clutch hub apart today and will post some pics and stuff over at Lord Vader's thread so he can sort it all out, one day, if he wishes...
Piece-a-cake!

...taking it apart... lol
EZr than I expected.

Going back together ???
:-)
rc
Old 08-31-2011, 06:11 PM
Gutter Rider

Well I played for ever with my 21mm del carb . Got some gains in power here at 6000 foot. Took just one .005 shim out of my Centrifugal clutch from the stock configuration of ( ) ( ) ( ) ( ) ( ) ( / / / dropping the stall about 800 rpm's . Runs flawless late at night around about mebbe 2 seconds slower for a start to finish to full speed on a straight away. ''Night temp about 70 F. its a champ''.

With the big carb tuned in for this temp I could never cruise the bike slow again with out some kind of four stroking gurgle off Idle. If I tuned for that I lost my WOT tuning. Realizing that a touch of load put on a four stroke makes that gurgle go away. I did two things.

First one was I took my centrifugal clutch apart to service it. Found sediment accumulation built up inside the bevel washer stack. Cleaned it all up got a drop in rpm engagement of about 200 rpm's?

Road around and saw it helped but was not totally happy.

Took out the .005 shims was impressed. So I started to richen the carb up till it would 4 stroke again and then fine tuned that. I had ordered a leaner W7 needle to use in place of the stock W9 needle on the 21mm del carb as the W9 needle was on the top notch. ''clip''

Carb has a 55 pilot jet, 94 main jet 258 AU atomizer W7 needle at 3rd notch and stock slide. Whew wipes the sweat back.. Took a lot of time to get to this point!!

I can cruise the bike at 8 miles an hour now Feathering the attack on the clutch.

Here in the day today read at 101 F. outside ambient temp from my on board temp gauge and red lined clear across town got 316 F max motor temp but power is diminished on the big carb with changes in air density. It very easy to say it ran richer. .

I fine tuned for fall season weather. July tuning per-say would be a tad different but not by much with my currant configuration.. It don't take but a second to change out the carb's jet size. That would adversely effect temp too tho.

Id like to say in short all this tuning I have been doing is for absolute power. Moderation changes everything. I even have a barometric weather/temp gauge on my back porch. Just need The Barometric gauge on the bike too. lol
-----------------

Except for the silencer thingy not sure what I was thinking there? I did make a air box from a 1990 GMC Serria pick up truck radiator return line. It so happen it was a spare old hose I had saved for ever. It also so happened it was the perfect diameter to clamp onto the back the the carb .

I use a short 7 inch or so section and simply stuffed the Foam racing air filter onto the back of that. Bike sounded really cool! Nice deep throughty sound. The tuning of the bike sourly agreed no bueno...

Observing this and the tuning properties it could offer? I then used a inch and a half ''total length'' elbow section from off the back of the carb and then the air filter.

After the carb fine tuning the clutch RPM engagement ditty etc I am happy to say the little cut in DB noise is very livable to me again. This concludes my carby saga finally!
Old 08-31-2011, 07:42 PM

Cool Goat Herder, you found your Granny gear! At the epitamy of tunage... is there no greater gift for all the finagling? You should write an e-book!

I got out for a speed run on the 29er w/J-shaft. hit 36Mph(60Kmh) on break in gas and china plug. Should be fun on normal 32:1 and BH6S,
Old 09-01-2011, 12:07 AM

cut out a mounting plate for the new bike, might try to pick up some angle iron to support it better since there won't be much under the actual motor to support the weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biknut View Post
Traditional bicycle riders think we're cheaters. Non riders think our bikes are toys. Bicycle shops think we're a threat. Tree huggers think we're polluters. The police don't know what to think.
Old 09-01-2011, 02:07 AM

Smile Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

I rode my bike to the park, manually. I dont have a motor installed yet but will in the next week. Plan on buying a better carb once I get the motor. Also want to get a better spark plug and CDI. Any suggestions? I want cheap and good performance from my parts.
Old 09-01-2011, 03:49 AM

trued my sprocket down to a 1.5 mm wobble....these rag joints do suck, don't they?

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner