Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 08-24-2011, 04:14 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Would drilling and safety wire help?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
That is gonna be cool Skarrd! Could put a good sized diesel in that mug.

Yesterday I lost the retention bolt holding my clutch on the engine drive shaft. So my shoed clutch guts, shot out. I put it back together but might be toast.

I have tried loc-tyte and muffler sealer. They just loosen up eventually. Just one of those things ya gotta watch. Not exactly my long suit. Ya know, paying attention to stuff.
Old 08-24-2011, 04:41 PM
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acraze View Post
Would drilling and safety wire help?
That is a thought Acraze. I been trying to come up with a mechanical rather then chemical fix for this. Seems to happen on all. I really am at a loss as to how to go about it. The shaft does not extend all the way to the end of the clutch. So I use washers as a spacer. Pic below;

Oh man! There are 2 set screw holes. Could thread a wire threw. Thanks Acraze!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6Sxv-sUYtM

Last edited by Dan; 08-24-2011 at 04:43 PM.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:45 PM

Quote:
That is a thought Acraze. I been trying to come up with a mechanical rather then chemical fix for this. Seems to happen on all. I really am at a loss as to how to go about it. The shaft does not extend all the way to the end of the clutch. So I use washers as a spacer. Pic below;

Oh man! There are 2 set screw holes. Could thread a wire threw. Thanks Acraze!
Hey Dan if you can secure a light gauge washer to the sprocket some how you could always bend up one corner of it to hold against the flat on a hex head to keep it from loosening.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:31 PM

Quote:
That is gonna be cool Skarrd! Could put a good sized diesel in that mug.

Yesterday I lost the retention bolt holding my clutch on the engine drive shaft. So my shoed clutch guts, shot out. I put it back together but might be toast.

I have tried loc-tyte and muffler sealer. They just loosen up eventually. Just one of those things ya gotta watch. Not exactly my long suit. Ya know, paying attention to stuff.
=========================================
Dan I would like a clarification of what happened. I have no doubt that you say there were parts (shoes) shot out of the bell of the clutch.

What I have are a couple of centrifugal clutches both toothed and pulley types. None of the engines I have are with a threaded hole in the end of the crankshaft, which I understand helps keep the clutch on the shaft even though I have a keyway for use with key and a set screw.

I have seen other posts that talk about drilling the shaft and tapping threads so you have this additional feature.

Also there is another set screw that is 90 degrees opposed to the keyway set screw that also is tightened.

As I were in the past be tempting fate now by not having the threaded hole in the end if the shaft.

I think a bolt and something like a fender washer to hold the clutch in, in the case that the other two set screws and keyway fail is what it is for?

The thing about the clutches I have, there is a cir-clip that is used to hold the clutch together and the shoes and the springs, ect parts inside would not be coming apart unless it failed. The clutch coming off the end of the shaft could happen if the chain also broke and both set crews loosened.

So I am not sure about a bolt you speak of that let the shoes shoot out?

Measure Twice
Old 08-24-2011, 06:53 PM

Whicked score Skarrd! Frig Dan hope you have a backup bike, for your courier thing. Dang.

I've had some fun with this today, new 29er:

Pic post of the build

Friggin still smiling from the first run. Dang tornado warnings around here, don't want to push my luck...
Old 08-24-2011, 10:06 PM

You could try a short piece of threaded rod and a nut to lock it, to make a stud, then use a flatwasher and locknut to hold the clutch hub on.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:10 PM
Gutter Rider

Looks like fun to motorize, Skaard! wonder how it will handle?
..be like taking off in a tail dragger!

Dan, no better than what I can see in the sole pic, and description, I can pick out a few options.
The crank is soft, or the screw you selected is.. really poor choice of a screw! lol and at least one of those washers is not concentric... that may throw a force in the soup to work that screw out.
If the crank and/or the screw are soft, ot there is a sloppy match of the threads, it's an uphill battle and you'll probably get a vacation for littering the hi-ways and by-ways of the public...

BTW, Fine idea to take a pic of your cherished bike with a row of Harvey's Honey Huts as a backdrop! LOL do they have a downstream pipe that dumps into the river that bridge goes over??? Whew!

Fire up that there shiny mill and make a bored slug to extend that crank so the grade 8 allen head bolt you buy for it next time can actually be tightened up against something besides a couple flimsy washers.
You could maybe machine a flange on it that would retain the clutch.

Make a friend at the airport...
Them guys got A #1 quality stainless steel lock-wire and can even describe to you the lost art of actually using the stuff so it works!
Drill your allen head bolt on that there mill/drill so you can use the spiffy lock wire!

OR, you could use a hex headed bolt and drill and tap the clutch center part to insert a holding screw like used on an HT flower nut for the clutch.

The slug for the crank extension is probably still needed.

I'd agree, a mechanical solution might be better than a chemical option because all that stuff is heating up with use and heat is the method we commonly use to break epoxied screws loose... but they got some really good stuff now that could additionally be applied to the thread for assembly once you know it's working well.

Good luck
rc
Old 08-25-2011, 10:36 AM
Staff

Thanks Guys! I really do appreciate every ones time and effort.

I just typed a wall of text and it got lost. Dang interweb

Old 08-25-2011, 12:10 PM

took the new bike out for a ride (no motor yet, just pumped the tires)

it's shakey at first (but also not used to how chopper bikes handle, been a while) but once it's moving, man... it's awesome!

also will be able to use the sbp jack shaft bracket on this one, just need to drill a mounting hole to keep it from twisting, but it'll run the pocket bike motor, or someday a 4 stroke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biknut View Post
Traditional bicycle riders think we're cheaters. Non riders think our bikes are toys. Bicycle shops think we're a threat. Tree huggers think we're polluters. The police don't know what to think.
Old 08-27-2011, 11:11 AM
Staff

Was pay day Friday and I just landed a pretty cool contract for my courier gig. (A courier is a person or a company who delivers messages, packages, and mail) Could be a really good thing cash wise.

So went for a ride and found this odd little bar, The "sports page" just down the road in Hartford. If there were 12 people in it, 2 would have to stand and you would have trouble getting to the rest room as it is so small. The owner, George, is from Peru and a great and friendly host.

Made a couple of new friends. The little one kept waiting for me to come out side for a smoke so she could curl up in my lap and go to sleep. The taller one and I proceeded to drink way to much until her date arrived and Carol came pic me up many hrs later.

Last edited by Dan; 08-27-2011 at 11:33 AM.

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner