Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 08-13-2011, 06:38 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Thanks for the info and pic. It does look like something doable. I'll pick one up and give it a shot.
Old 08-14-2011, 01:07 PM

Not having any luck with the new bike. Turned out it was only an 18" frame, no biggie, have an offset intake coming from gasbike.net(cost more to ship than the part, lol), and low-profile front large tube mount. Can fit my normal head in there np.

Then trying to get sprocket on I would've had to lose the rear disc. Was thinking about a 'Tophat' from Kings, but the friggin frame curves in on the seat stays. So had to break down and get a jackshaft kit from SBP. Should be worth it, just to fly through gears, and keep the rear disc.

Got their head stud kit too, one less thing to worry about down the road.

Just pedaling the bike around feels smoother with the 29" tires, should be gravy with the motor on her.

Have a good one!
Old 08-14-2011, 03:06 PM

Today, I stared at my bike and wished it wasn't a Cranbrook.
Old 08-14-2011, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatblack View Post
Today, I stared at my bike and wished it wasn't a Cranbrook.
Why is that FB because I have had a lot of success with crannies....
Old 08-15-2011, 12:24 AM
Gutter Rider

Decided NOT to pull the carby again and drill the MJ to bigger than #71 drill size until I tried the new plug, first.

Had pulled the original Young Master that was leaking at the point between insulator and body and installed a new LD plug from the other motor.

Pulled the LD, and it was wet and black, so I put in the NGK B6HS.
Took it for a beer run, and to drop off a redbox... I was lucky to make it home!
NOW it is spitting back through the carb a bit, and four-stroking the rest of the time. Speed? I got none.

Thought maybe I'd try a WOT attempt and a throttle chop so I went to get a couple bullet connectors for connecting the kill switch at the hardware store which is on a level street. Planned to install the kill switch there, then make a speed run on the way back home.

Did not happen!
Seems the price of connectors went up!
NOT gonna get a couple for pocket change any more.

So I straggled home and might have gotten up to 25mph going downhill after I left the level road.

This cns remains inconsistent. Must be other probs to deal with first.
Bottom screw on mag cover is wet. ...seal time!
Then I can get back to the carby.

Fun little toy to work on!
rc
Old 08-15-2011, 03:13 AM

I figured out how to hook my throttle up to my carb. That part wasn't in the instruction manual, so I took the carb apart to see what it was like in there & it just sorta came to me. I feel like I got lucky.

Still waiting on wheel tools so I can take care of the hubs before my first ride. Hoping to mount the motor Tuesday. Thinking about writing a new instruction manual for BGF.

Old 08-15-2011, 04:35 PM

I agree, we are getting gouged majorly for electrical connectors! If you can, get a whole bunch from a friend who works in electrical/electronic work, or just buy a big kit from a harbor freight type store and share with friends, or keep for future projects.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:16 PM
Gutter Rider

Yah, when I was working I always did that, Happy...
Now I'm just scraping for pocket change! lol
a china ht is just abt my speed!

Well, that guy murphy has caught up with me again. (I really need a faster MAB!)

My tiny number drills are labeled incorrectly from the local source... figgers, they are china made, too! When I check em with my mitutoyo caliper they all come up precisely one number increment off... no biggie, I just gotta run the next one in line...

My basketcase came dismantled, for a taco'ed rear wheel and the carb off and partly dismantled.. Seller said he'd had mid-range probs...
It was a #71 main jet and four stroking... so, on the conventional wisdom advice, I took it to a #74 and it fell on it's face. no go. Opened to #73 and it motivated a little but mostly with the choke worked feverishly...
Back at #71, (which is REALLY #70 !!!) it's still lacking for any speed at WOT and four stroking most of the lower rpm throttle settings...
I opened to #69 today, headed towards #68 which another fellow advised who has a small flock of them... a little bit of power back, but will only gain speed when headed down a hill.

I checked the burn on the ngk plug and it's WHITE! lean lean lean!

Got a drip of oil at the lowest mag cover screw... so I popped the cover off and there IS oil in the bottom of the case forward of the front screw boss, mostly... the seal probably isn't the best and I SHOULD replace it, but I got bigger fish to fry... or maybe rescue from the coals???

...rocking the engine at tdc with the plug removed, to get an idicator mark on the mag rotor, in advance of any tear down, as Alf has said, I'm getting more rattle from the top end than I would like to hear... Bad wristpin bearing or a rocking piston, I guess... Compression is still 'thumb OK' so I've put it all back together. It starts easily and does motivate...

Guess I better start comparing the price of parts against a replacement motor!

Does anyone know?
Did Murphy ever travel to asia?

:-)
rc

Gonna open up that main jet again this afternoon... pretty soon I'll be pouring the mix in from a bucket! lol
Old 08-15-2011, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycheapskate View Post
I agree, we are getting gouged majorly for electrical connectors! If you can, get a whole bunch from a friend who works in electrical/electronic work, or just buy a big kit from a harbor freight type store and share with friends, or keep for future projects.
This is ALL you need for ALL your "WAR" connections from BGMicro.com whose quick disconnects are merely soldered in line with where you wanna use your WARS

I bought 10 of them for me and my fren who builds bikes. 18 ga is fine for us

Quick Disconnect18 Gauge
[jpg]http://www.bgmicro.com/images/cab2153.jpg[/jpg]
Your Price: $1.55
BGmicro.com Part Number: CAB2170

Cut it wherever and hook one end to your project and the other end to your power source. This one comes in 16 gauge wire. Also comes in 18 gauge, 10 gauge, 14 gauge, and 12 gauge.

http://www.bgmicro.com/images/cab2153.jpg
Old 08-16-2011, 12:49 AM

Hey rustycase,

Below is a link to motion Industries web site and these links are for better wrist pin bearings that will fix a top end rattle caused by the soft wrist pin bearing getting flat spots on the needles.

( Bearing Link ) Motion Industries - Product Search --

These bearings are very good quality and will stop the wrist pin bearing issue for good.

( Seal Link ) Motion Industries - Product Search --

Dont pay any attention to the pic on this seal link, the seal is correct but they have the wrong pic on here, I have several of these seals for my engines and they are a gray Nitrile Material just like it says in the description, the pic on the web site is wrong, but the link is correct so you can order better seals here and they are very reasonably priced too.

Best wishes...

Peace, map

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustycase View Post
Yah, when I was working I always did that, Happy...
Now I'm just scraping for pocket change! lol
a china ht is just abt my speed!

Well, that guy murphy has caught up with me again. (I really need a faster MAB!)

My tiny number drills are labeled incorrectly from the local source... figgers, they are china made, too! When I check em with my mitutoyo caliper they all come up precisely one number increment off... no biggie, I just gotta run the next one in line...

My basketcase came dismantled, for a taco'ed rear wheel and the carb off and partly dismantled.. Seller said he'd had mid-range probs...
It was a #71 main jet and four stroking... so, on the conventional wisdom advice, I took it to a #74 and it fell on it's face. no go. Opened to #73 and it motivated a little but mostly with the choke worked feverishly...
Back at #71, (which is REALLY #70 !!!) it's still lacking for any speed at WOT and four stroking most of the lower rpm throttle settings...
I opened to #69 today, headed towards #68 which another fellow advised who has a small flock of them... a little bit of power back, but will only gain speed when headed down a hill.

I checked the burn on the ngk plug and it's WHITE! lean lean lean!

Got a drip of oil at the lowest mag cover screw... so I popped the cover off and there IS oil in the bottom of the case forward of the front screw boss, mostly... the seal probably isn't the best and I SHOULD replace it, but I got bigger fish to fry... or maybe rescue from the coals???

...rocking the engine at tdc with the plug removed, to get an idicator mark on the mag rotor, in advance of any tear down, as Alf has said, I'm getting more rattle from the top end than I would like to hear... Bad wristpin bearing or a rocking piston, I guess... Compression is still 'thumb OK' so I've put it all back together. It starts easily and does motivate...

Guess I better start comparing the price of parts against a replacement motor!

Does anyone know?
Did Murphy ever travel to asia?

:-)
rc

Gonna open up that main jet again this afternoon... pretty soon I'll be pouring the mix in from a bucket! lol

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner