Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 08-05-2011, 12:51 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Today I heard the sound of a happy time in the distance, I got up in my truck bed and to my surprise there was a Chinese fella coming down the sidewalk with two extra children on the bike with him. The one on the back was holding on sitting on the fender and had one foot on the axle bolt and the other flailing in the wind looking for the spokes (no shoes). the one on the front was on the bars holding on for dear life, the old man navigating this contraption had a big smile as he went by. In my life I would never have thought I would see a real seen from the Orient, but there it was in So. Cal. who would have thought. I can now die having experienced everything. LOL have fun, Dave
Old 08-05-2011, 12:59 AM

Here's an idea but involves a LOT of grinding!
http://www.instructables.com/image/F...one-wrench.jpg

PricePoint BMX has a 7 piece set for $20. Sette Torx Cone Wrench 7pc Set at Price Point

I bought a set of double ended Park pieces years ago (2 of my favorites, 1 of the others) and still using them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anim8r View Post
shopped for cone wrenches. 4th day in a row. I just want to lube my hub bearings, but the only place I found flat wrenches was at Harbor Freight in a $49 set.

On a better note, since my local bike shop owner didn't have the wrenches in stock he said I could probably bring it in & talk the guys into doing it for free. Gotta love local independent businesses. I should have checked there first.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:49 AM

thanks for the tip happycheapskate
Old 08-05-2011, 02:06 AM

9 people on one motorcycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egor View Post
Today I heard the sound of a happy time in the distance, I got up in my truck bed and to my surprise there was a Chinese fella coming down the sidewalk with two extra children on the bike with him. The one on the back was holding on sitting on the fender and had one foot on the axle bolt and the other flailing in the wind looking for the spokes (no shoes). the one on the front was on the bars holding on for dear life, the old man navigating this contraption had a big smile as he went by. In my life I would never have thought I would see a real seen from the Orient, but there it was in So. Cal. who would have thought. I can now die having experienced everything. LOL have fun, Dave
Old 08-05-2011, 02:12 AM
Gutter Rider

LOL

That is GREAT! with the littlest tyke in the bucket !!!!

LOL

Tnx happy!
rc
Old 08-05-2011, 02:17 AM
Gutter Rider

Does that go in a car pool lane? Mebbe
Old 08-05-2011, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustycase View Post
...Took off the cns when I got back home and put on the nt from the other kit that's never been assembled. Night and day!
For one thing, the float valve works, and I like the lever choke far better than the cable connected plunger-thingy-do-dad. AND, it got one cable off my handlebars! Bonus!!!
I don't think the plunger was seating properly. Now that I've taken it apart, again, I can see where it has a bit of rubber on the bottom of it. I don't think it was sealing well, even with the spring pressure pushing down on it.

I wish the nt had a idle speed mixture control, but doesn't seem it needs one...

Brakes functioning on rear AND front is like night and day! Whew!
I will learn my lesson and never, ever, go out under power with only one brake again!
MOF, you couldn't sell me a coaster brake on a motorized bicycle on a bet!
I'm gonna look for disks, next!
Wise choice about brakes bud, at least one each wheel, like the late Carl Maulden would say in an American Express commercial, 'Don't leave home without it' hehehe ;-}

I take it you have a new 48cc Skyhawk kit that came with a CNS66 carb?
From Kings/Gasbikes?
They know those carbs won't run on a 48cc but send them anyway.
If you bought a 2010+ Skyhawk 48cc through PayPal from Kings/Gasbike just 'officially' dispute the charge and offer to settle for a kit with the wrong carb for $70.

The CNS66 however does run great on a 66, especially when you put an expansion chamber on it, you just need to seal it up good.

What did I do to my bike today?

It was actually last weekend but I finished up the Cadillac I was building for a new direct drive demo/back-up ride bike.

Funny long story about that bikes history but in short I bought a couple of those Cadillac Fleetwood NuVinci shifter beach cruisers at the same time.
One I made into a jackshafted shifter for a customer, but I took the wheels off of this one and put them on my personal ride to replace the Nuvinci Dev Kit automatic hub I tried out (thumbs down on that as they are today).

That left me with a strong and nice looking bike but with no wheels or brakes as the Caddy only comes with a back disc, which went to my bike with the NuVinci tranny back wheel.

I had a nice set of wheels on a mountain bike that couldn't be motorized and put them on it along with a 2010 Skyhawk 66cc motor and other unused parts I had around and made this.

Sure it has a 7-speed rear wheel but no derailleur and set in 3rd, but that was the best gear for this direct drive build and it didn't need a chain tensioner on either chain after a little chain work.
I love horizontal drop-out bikes, and ya, it sports dual-pull brakes ;-}

So much for keeping it around for a sharp looking great running demo/backup bike though...
I had barley got in 5 miles of little test/adjust runs in when a guy called Sunday that absolutely NEEDED an motorized bicycle that day!

That Caddy was all I had built for sale under $2,000.
I told him to call me back in a 3 hours and I may have something finished.
It was like 113 thousand degrees outside last Sunday afternoon but I put another 10 miles on it, made the final adjustments and out the door she went.

SaLaVee I guess, but that was a bike I really did want to keep.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:08 AM
Gutter Rider

Tnx KC, but this one does have the CNS48. It's the basketcase I bought from the college kid. Among other probs with it, the carby was off, and apart. He had said something about there being no power... lol

Basically all I could do, since it was a discount offering, was check for compression, which was good, and look in through the exhaust port for scoring on the piston, which also looked reasonable.

He had taco'ed the rear wheel and bought another, and had two new cruiser cheng shins to go with it AND a new back wheel. I was able to fix the bent up one, so I'm parts ahead, in the game.

Gonna pull it down today and inspect/grease the clutch hub bearings.

I need to figger out why the needle valve is prone to leaking. Guess I'll need to buy some Clover compound...

Gosh that Cadillac bike is a nice rig!
rc
Old 08-05-2011, 10:39 PM
Gutter Rider

Beginning to wander if I will here from this guy about the grab box of carbys?

On the other hand got a used 21 mm Dellorto carb in the mail today from one of the fellow forum members for a fair price. I basically swapped all my custom jetting parts over from the Phb6 19 mm Del I was using. That carby was jetted just a tad too rich over all. Which was fine for our summer heat spell we had in the desert I think and getting to know this 9.4 Morini

The back veiw of this 21mm is much larger the rest of the carb the rest of it is basically a carbon copy of the original. So its kinda like a guy doing a little porting.

I never really had a complaint what so ever how the bike was previously running it had plenty of power. Curiosity was bound to get the best of me. Just had to see if the grass might be a little greener. lol.

I fired up the bike ''BoXer'' and loved it I say I got around a whole 7% mebbe in more power. I can creep around a little slower and the response is a little better. All in all a pretty cool day.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:44 PM
Gutter Rider

Well that's great GH !
Substantial power increase AND better response? Win Win!
I'm a bit surprised you are getting a better creepy out of it, but I'm in a constant state of being amazed... I guess! lol
Congrats!
rc

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner