Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:28 AM
Gutter Rider

Default Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

WOW!
Interesting tales of a day in MABland!
Here's mine, for the day... and I'll try for a pic, today.

A good day. It makes smoke!
After battling with the rag joint alignment I was eventually able to run the bike up and down the small hills in the hood.
Down is a real thrill! Just not sufficient brakes on this motorized bicycle . And it's a pp little 48cc stock skyhawk !
No exp pipes for me! LoL
Screaming at top rpm through residential areas would be terrifying for me! lol

I was holding it back going down the hills because I did need to re-do the brakes to fit the raised handlebars. The cable housing was not long enough for lock to lock and I didn't want to deal with a problem out on the road, somewhere away from my tools.
...and I'll need to come up with a handy-dandy toolset to carry with me!

Was not able to install the front brake because the old riser had a cable stay in the gooseneck and the new set of bars does not... must look through the pile and see if there is one of those little brackets that works as a spacer in the headset, and also a brake cable stay.

Gosh I hate rag joints! LOL
I watched that video using tape to center the sprocket, then saw where someone mentioned using zip ties as shims... so I stripped some insulation off some 14g thhn and used that at three points around the bearing shell when I set the sprocket on. it worked well enough. Had a major battle getting the warble out of the sprocket and the chain kept binding. ...even filed the sprocket teeth a bit to encourage the chain to follow the proper track.
It did not want to.
Took two links out of the chain, re-positioned the tensioner, and got it adjusted to the proper level of looseness and it's doing well enough now.
I'll definitely be doing business with one of the aftermarket hub adapter builders soon as I get the extra cash. They have got to be a major improvement in reliability and reduction of vibration!

Dumping fuel all over the place so I popped the cns off and had a look inside.
Everything looked well enough, but I went ahead a lowered the float so it shuts off quicker when filling the bowl. I'd rather run shy at top speed than over-fill all the time, I guess. Not sure if that was the problem.

It's four-stroking a lot, except when under very heavy load on a hill.
I had bought #65 through #69 in expectation of re-drilling the main jet, but all of them are too large for the main jet. I tried lowering the mid range needle to the top groove, but that doesn't help either.

This cns has the brass plunger richening circuit operated by a cable...
Are these known junk that can be suspected of dumping extra fuel all the time?

Does the air/fuel idle mixture adjustment affect mid to top end quite a bit on these engines? Idle speed was a little fast, but that was OK by me for the first time out the gate. It did not seem fat, when cold or hot, at idle...

Only needed to pedal a couple times when I had slowed for a turn, then went up another hill that was even steeper... 50ft or so of pedalling was about it til I got some speed back.

I lugged it down pretty heavily, just to see what it would do, and was not disappointed in the power it maintained. This is a well run in motor, so I wasn't concerned with stressing it as I might be with a fresh engine.

It cooled down to be touchable within minutes of shutoff.
No clue where my infrared temp sensor is... kids!

NEED both brakes fully functional !
a bigger seat !
just not enough trail in this Mtn bike frame/fork for speed...
and a rigid front fork is NOT the way to go ! lol
the 195 on the rear is too small, but I'll live with that for a while. The front needs more cush.
battery operated lights for when a break-down keeps me on the road after dark.

Baskets... anyone got advice on baskets to carry the goods?

Came around a turn and found a trash bag of loomies near the park that had fell out of someone's truck... or something...
Gathered em all up, crushed most so they would fit in the torn bag and had a devil of a time working the clutch and throttle, with only one brake operational with any degree of safety to get my dollars worth of cans home. LOL
Now that I think abt it, They'll probably get me a tank of gas!

I'm gonna need a serious basket, maybe a rack, and some way to carry my fishing rods and the metal detector. NOT all at once...
Soon as I get this motorized bicycle dialed in I'm gonna do my best to wear it out!
THIS summer.
rc

......I'm gonna read some threads on that SBP pipe... if it can be dialed in well, with power increase all around, AND run well with a muffler, I'll do it!
Old 07-27-2011, 09:47 AM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

what did i do today??? well i did it a week ago but im letting you allno today.. here is a link to my chopper bike on youtube.. helmet cam coming shortly ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAAR5...eature=related
Old 07-27-2011, 09:59 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustycase
This cns has the brass plunger richening circuit operated by a cable...
Are these known junk that can be suspected of dumping extra fuel all the time?
I think that is your choke, only use at first start. Turn off when running and your mixture should be better, or at least give you a better baseline.

For baskets, I use a cheapy rear rack with a milk crate bolted to it. Can carry a 24 box of beer, and a couple of frozen pizza's no problem. Oh, or a propane tank to filling station. I've had a 50lb bag of salt in it too. Even lumber too(cut to 4' though). Pretty sturdy for what it is.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:33 AM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

Default need help.

Hey everyone, I am brand new to the site and this is my first build. I bought the skyhawk 66cc kit and put it on a beach cruiser. With all the little stuff worked out we took the bike out and it started right away. we stoped it then ran it again and it came back with the chain tensioner all the way down and the chain broke in half from hitting the gear. Is this a tensioner problem? IF so whats the fix. I have tried tightening it but it seems to just spin and will not stay in position. Please help for this newbeeee.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustycase View Post
Gosh I hate rag joints! LOL
I watched that video using tape to center the sprocket, then saw where someone mentioned using zip ties as shims...
Had a major battle getting the warble out of the sprocket and the chain kept binding. ...even filed the sprocket teeth a bit to encourage the chain to follow the proper track.
It did not want to.
Took two links out of the chain, re-positioned the tensioner, and got it adjusted to the proper level of looseness and it's doing well enough now.

I'll definitely be doing business with one of the aftermarket hub adapter builders soon as I get the extra cash.
I haven't tried one of the aftermarket hub sprocket mounts yet but they sure look faster and easier to install as well as more stable provided you have a good hub.
It is just tough to justify half the cost of the whole motor kit just for a rear sprocket.

For a rag sprocket install an electric and hand held nut driver along with a deep and regular 10mm socket are your friends.

I find that initially aligning the sprocket is just a waste of time, it is all in how you install the bolts and tighten them if the sprocket doesn't just fit perfect on the hub (yes, some bikes do!).

Just in brief...
1. Lay your sprocket on a flat surface with the shinny side up and push on opposite sides all the way around to check for warp.
You can't adjust a warp out of a sprocket.

2. For the Grubee rag, use the two piece 4/5 hole plates, not the three 3 hole plates for the inside.

3. You can use a thin Philleps screw driver to align the holes, and then put in the the 1st four bolts into the ends of the two back plate pieces.
I use a 10mm socket on the end of my drill to run the bolts through.
Once I get a bolt through enough to fit the inside washers and nut on I finger hold the nut on while I drive the bolt until my fingers give.

4. Move around the circle in a star pattern like you would use when tightening lug nuts on a car after a tire change.

5. Once all the bolts are in and finger snug you can align the sprocket.
If you can visually see it is not centered I find just standing the wheel up with the high side of the sprocket up and putting a little chunk of bike chain like 5 links in the teeth and just tapping it down with a tack hammer makes nice little adjustments.
NOTE.. look at the bolts! are they straight? Move things around so the bolts come through true and not trying to angle around spokes of something.

6. The tricky part is tightening it up without loosing alignment.
I still use the drill on the outside but use a 10mm hand held nut driver on the inside and run around the wheel in a star pattern a couple of times making tiny alignment with the hammer and chain until it is very snug with the drill and nut driver.

7. The sprocket should be true vertical so now you check horizontal wobble.
Just tighten the bolt(s) on the sprocket where the part of sprocket on the outside is not in as far as the rest.
Again, you can not adjust a warped sprocket straight, check it first!

Hope that helps.
Old 07-27-2011, 01:21 PM
Gutter Rider

Tnx KC !

I'll copy and read that over again in detail...

This was my basketcase motorized bicycle I bought from a college kid...

I replaced some of the rag joint bolts, but bought a size that is too long. So there's a bunch of washers on there to take up the unthreaded length.

The rubber for the sprocket is shaved incorrectly. It runs from thin to thick and will never be right. ...just another prob to deal with eventually...

I was able to fix the warble in the sprocket by loosening it and putting some washers in between the sprocket and the rubber, and torquing the bolts so it ran true enough to keep the chain on.

I went back to the end of yesterday's jaunt to get a pic...

Question is, "How far can you get on a beer can full of mix gas?"
Answer: About an hour or so...

SO... here I am, with an empty tank, kinda pedaling down a grade when the local traffic enforcement passes by the opposite direction.

I smiled and gave him a wave as he went by on his beemer. :-)

Note to self: Grease bucking bar and bearing. Carry A tool to pop master link for long distance pedaling when stoopid catches up with you. :-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 883b.jpg (62.2 KB, 28 views)
Old 07-27-2011, 01:29 PM
Staff

LOL Rusty, ayup.

Not for nutton but Almost always have a cheapo leatherman on the bike some where or on me. Really, really comes in handy! Has screw drivers, needle nose pliers, knife etc.

" Carry A tool to pop master link for long distance pedaling when stoopid catches up with you. :-)"

I gotta print that and hang it next to where my motorized bicycle sleeps so as not to forget it (again, snork)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6Sxv-sUYtM

Last edited by Dan; 07-27-2011 at 01:32 PM.
Old 07-27-2011, 01:31 PM

just finished bolting together a new yellow 2011 "Da-Bomb" frame with a new staton trans with a new subaru 35 cc engine, going to add some mobil 1 and have it on the road by this weekend to put some test miles on her and get ready for jays ralley in pa on aug 7 th
Old 07-27-2011, 01:39 PM

hey y'all its been awhile since i been here. was back riding for a few weeks after putting in a top end. saturday morning i was riding along and heard a rattle. the crank bearing was going out next. i tried to take it apart with the tools i have but none wanted to work right...so i made a very hard decision to sell it all off. kinda personal/family reasons for 1 but working those out. sold her yesterday...hope that old guy will enjoy it as i did..had the kit for about year been on 4 different bikes lol. imma git anuther kit when i got the $s. i had thought about quitting here since i aint gotta motorized bicycle for now. but then i thought...once a MBer always a MBer!!! imma try to be on when i git a chance to give advice N all
Old 07-27-2011, 03:08 PM
Staff

Glad your still around Rebel!

There is one member here who has never had a motorized bicycle and is a great guy. Really, the goal of our host is to offer us a place to hang out and talk about a mutual interest. No where is it said any one actually has to have one.

Always try to tell that to folks who want to go to a rally or social motorized bicycle thing. Don't need one to enjoy em. That and motorized bicycle folks are just a blast to hang out with. In person or on-line.

This time of year, lots of folks are doing another build and need to sell their old motorized bicycle for the room or what ever. Just saying can find some great deals this time of year and Fall, they get crazy cheap. used kits and whole MBs.

But any way, glad your still with us.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6Sxv-sUYtM

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner