Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 06-10-2011, 01:04 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Before I left work, I removed the Jump Stop from my bike's bottom bracket. I'd been feeling a slight clunk at low speed while motoring along. The Jump Stop had a gouge in it, and it might've been the cause of the problem. After riding down the block, I still noticed the clunk, so the Jump Plate wasn't the cause of it.

At the traffic light stop, I was the lead vehicle to proceed forward in the correct lane. The lane to my right was merging in front of me 200 yards ahead. When I checked my mirror, no one was behind me. All of the cars had lined up in the merging lane to my right. I guess all ten cars figured they were going to pull ahead of me and merge into the correct lane (mine).

The light changed, I pulled out at full speed, and NO ONE was able to merge into my lane ahead of me. It was a 35 mph speed zone, and I guess we were all traveling at the limit. With the shift kit and 8-speed cassette, 35 mph arrived VERY quickly. At the next light, I pulled away from the stop...

and my bicycle chain broke!

I coasted off the highway and parked behind a huge concrete freeway support. The last thing I need is a soda can OR a car plowing into me while I'm fixing my bike. Praise the Lord, the broken chain was still connected to the rear derailleur. It was a simple fix and I was on my way.

Upon reaching home, I cleaned the bike and inspected the chain. Some of the links were slightly worn from dragging on the road. The chain is now a little shorter from losing two links, but still serviceable. A spare chain is in my backpack, so I'll keep running the old chain.

Why did my bicycle chain break? Probably because I removed the Jump Plate. This allowed the bicycle chain to jump off inward, towards the bottom bracket. The sprockets' mounting nuts snagged the chain, causing it to snap. I'm pretty sure the problem should disappear when I reinstall the Jump Plate today.

Last edited by 5-7HEAVEN; 06-10-2011 at 01:12 PM.
Old 06-12-2011, 04:03 AM

Super stoked with the bike.

Got the xchamber installed yesterday, started tuning the carb last night.

Today I got a great thing done - I took two sprockets and made a top hat adapter!

One was a 44T and had the 9 bolt and the 6 bolt disc pattern. The other was off a freewheeling driven sprocket so it had a large flange. Uncut rag joint material between, bolted the 9 patterns together and bolted it to the disc mount.

Fits like a glove!

Looking at this now, I realize I could run a rack mount in the rear off the 44T!

So, took it for a test ride, and it's just awesome. Going for a trial run tomorrow to see how it runs across a mile.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J96gcKODYJY
Old 06-12-2011, 07:57 AM
Staff

That sounds cool DTGoat. Can ya post pics?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6Sxv-sUYtM
Old 06-12-2011, 02:23 PM

Today I just rode the bike, being alert for any quirks. There's a slight clunking coming from the bottom bracket area. I can feel it more than hear it. Methinks it's a stiff chain link, so I'll inspect them all.

The chain is now VERY short, due to having lost two links. At times, the shift from first gear to second has a hesitation and almost sounds like it's skipping a sprocket. I will add two more links to the bicycle chain. Maybe that will cure the problem.

I met my friend at a park outside of Waikiki. We decided to have lunch at a restaurant a mile away. Traffic was so congested, it took me 10 minutes to get there. It took him much longer to get there.

Afterwards, I rode my bike home, nine miles of moderate traffic, past the police station(ghost pedalling past them, of course). It took 36 minutes to get home, which is great timing when riding through the middle of town.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:31 PM

My town doesn't even have a town center. It only has one business, a very small time boat shop. That's right... only one tiny business in my town... I live in zee boonies.

It's about 10 miles just to get to the closest town. Puts a lot of miles on cars/bikes.
Old 06-12-2011, 05:50 PM

Here ya go Dan - fresh off the grill.

Took it for a speed test today, and got to 34.7 after a mile. With more carb tuning, I'm hoping to surpass 35/36.

Old 06-12-2011, 05:52 PM

That's cool! How does it work?
Old 06-12-2011, 06:10 PM

I rode one of the motorbikes out to the hardware store to get parts to work on one of my other motorbikes -
Old 06-12-2011, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuctTapedGoat View Post
Here ya go Dan - fresh off the grill.

Took it for a speed test today, and got to 34.7 after a mile. With more carb tuning, I'm hoping to surpass 35/36.

Aww, I wanted to see the pipe, glad you like it. Lots different than the banana pipe, huh?

I downloaded the drivers for my new camera in preperation of photoing all the different builds I have going annnndddd the USB camera cord was a different size than what I need to DL photos to the computer A new cable is already ordered.

I found a real cool brass cap with a 1/4" compression fitting from Lowe's for a baffeled gas cap on the copper tank I'll be building but I so want to have photos. I'm stalled until I can do that.

Last edited by DaveC; 06-12-2011 at 06:42 PM.
Old 06-12-2011, 06:39 PM

WAY different in a much better way. Literally JUST picked up some Opti-2 at a local TrueValue, so I need to ride as much as I can to burn through the gallon I have now and start trying it.

And here's a pic of the bike with the SBP xchamber. Still gotta get the pipes sealed at the header pipe, but I'm still getting the angle worked out.

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner