Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 06-06-2011, 04:59 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

got the motor put back together, she runs! still breaking her in, but it'll happen soon enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biknut View Post
Traditional bicycle riders think we're cheaters. Non riders think our bikes are toys. Bicycle shops think we're a threat. Tree huggers think we're polluters. The police don't know what to think.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisme View Post
I put some gas in, and rode about 60 miles round trip. Then rode another 30 miles to a friend's house and back. That's about it. Runs great, no problems
They been redoing the roads here around where I live today.......these are dirt roads and the county is putting down some new base material and wetting it down and packing it, since I dont have fenders on my bikes I figured I better wait for the ground to dry a bit before I go out for an evening ride, dont need mud all over me and/or the bike........

but I will go for a ride this evening because I have the itch....even though it is over 100 degrees F. here today and zero breeze you can feel your skin burn out side right now..........very very hot!

Peace
Old 06-06-2011, 05:13 PM

WOW! That sounds hot! It was great riding conditions in Maine today. About 75. With the breeze of riding it was just right.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:16 PM

Quote:
WOW! That sounds hot! It was great riding conditions in Maine today. About 75. With the breeze of riding it was just right.
it was 109F yesterday, that's getting warm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by biknut View Post
Traditional bicycle riders think we're cheaters. Non riders think our bikes are toys. Bicycle shops think we're a threat. Tree huggers think we're polluters. The police don't know what to think.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:19 PM

I spent a good deal of my childhood growing up in Australia and the tropics. So I know all about HOT!!
When it doesn't go below 110 at night, it's wicked painful! Especially when you live without AC or refrigeration.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:28 PM

Quote:
I spent a good deal of my childhood growing up in Australia and the tropics. So I know all about HOT!!
When it doesn't go below 110 at night, it's wicked painful! Especially when you live without AC or refrigeration.
Yep, my outside thermometer is dead on 116 degrees in the sun and the humidity inside my home is 82% and I have refrigerated central air which actually dries the air out if that tells you anything about what the humidity is outside, that is what hurts us around here, the heat is bad but when we get the humidity along with it it really hurts then.

I know we have many others on here that live in more humid climates than I do so I'm sure they are hurting right now as well............

My oldest son just got out of the Airforce and was stationed out in AZ right outside Phoenix and he said the heat there was bad but because it was a dry heat it didn't seem to hurt as bad as the same heat does when the moister is added, I've never been to Phoenix so I dont know personally but to me when it gets 100+ I dont care if it wet or dru or what is is .............it is just blum freaking HOT.....! to me..... and I want a shade and something cold to drink...or better yet soem AC

Old 06-06-2011, 05:31 PM

Yea, it's soooo much worse when it's really humid. It's like each little air molecule burns.

I have to say, Maine is wonderful. Winters are fun, and summer is a good break. I should take a vid of riding down some back roads here.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Yea, it's soooo much worse when it's really humid. It's like each little air molecule burns.

I have to say, Maine is wonderful. Winters are fun, and summer is a good break. I should take a vid of riding down some back roads here.
The vids would be great.......but would just make me jealous of the beautiful green country side and the pleasant temps when what we have here right now is very hot, not so green conditions things are burning up around here from this heat and lack of rain.......getting pretty bad.

OK now back to that Video...........make that sucker so we can all enjoy it.....

I'm waiting on my new vid cam I ordered last week, not sure yet how I will like it but it is the same as the last one Scotto got, it's that ATC2K model and I won it on ebay for $21 and some change + shipping around $40 total, I'm hoping can make some better quality vids with it instead of the stuff I been doing with my cell phone camera.

YES get us a vid done please...

Peace
Old 06-06-2011, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapbike View Post
Hope that fixes your issue, Man I really wont a shifting bike.....and I'm gonna have one before long, I've got 2 Sturmey Archer 3sp Hubs and one SunTour 3sp hub.......and I'm thinking this bike in the pic below will make a nice shifter set up since I dont think I can mount a sprocket on that wheel since the 3 spd hub is so much larger than the standard coater hub.

Peace
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapbike View Post
Hope that fixes your issue, Man I really wont a shifting bike.....and I'm gonna have one before long, I've got 2 Sturmey Archer 3sp Hubs and one SunTour 3sp hub.......and I'm thinking this bike in the pic below will make a nice shifter set up since I dont think I can mount a sprocket on that wheel since the 3 spd hub is so much larger than the standard coater hub.

Peace
I guess the small vendors on this forum don't do custom clam-shell adaptors? Someone here used to offer that service.

Yep, shift kits work well in my situation. I have a LOT of impatient car drivers around me in traffic, especially rush hour. If you're slow, especially from a standing start, they're quick to blow their horns.

To put the cassette's overall gear ratios into perspective,
first gear is like a Happy Time 89-tooth single sprocket;
second gear = 68t sprocket;
third gear = 60t sprocket;
fourth gear = 53t sprocket;
fifth gear = 45t sprocket;
sixth gear =40t sprocket;
seventh gear = 34t sprocket;
eighth gear = 29t sprocket.

So using a 40t HT sprocket is like pedal-assisting in sixth gear on a bike with a shift kit.

Shift kits are easier on the clutch too.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-7HEAVEN View Post
I guess the small vendors on this forum don't do custom clam-shell adaptors? Someone here used to offer that service.

Yep, shift kits work well in my situation. I have a LOT of impatient car drivers around me in traffic, especially rush hour. If you're slow, especially from a standing start, they're quick to blow their horns.

To put the cassette's overall gear ratios into perspective,
first gear is like a Happy Time 89-tooth single sprocket;
second gear = 68t sprocket;
third gear = 60t sprocket;
fourth gear = 53t sprocket;
fifth gear = 45t sprocket;
sixth gear =40t sprocket;
seventh gear = 34t sprocket;
eighth gear = 29t sprocket.

So using a 40t HT sprocket is like pedal-assisting in sixth gear on a bike with a shift kit.

Shift kits are easier on the clutch too.
Sounds great thanks for the info. here, Ididnt know exactly how the gearing played out on one, I have 2 bikes that have 7 gears on the rear wheel instead of eight but I fih=gure if I dont like the 3 spd set up I'll just change over toone of them in its place and put a simple Derailleur on it off one of the other old bike I have sitting around or just get a new one from my Local Bike Shop.

Thanks again for the info.

Peace

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner