Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 06-05-2011, 12:04 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

On one of my bikes, my manual clutch was slipping. I adjusted the flower nut but didn't work for me. I removed the centrifugal clutch to get to the manual clutch. I removed all 15 pucks and used fresh cyanocralate glue to glue sand paper to each puck. CA glue is super glue but don't use the garbage fromr retail stores. Get the good stuff from a local radio control model airplane hobby shop. Use either thin or medium CA. Caution-thin CA glue cures very fast and its cure is exothermic meaning it emits a lot of heat capable of causing a 2nd or 3rd degree burn which sucks if it accidentally glues your fingers together...great for sealing and cauterizing a wound that may require a couple of stitches though.

Works great and should last a long time since I VERY RARELY disengage my manual clutch when I'm riding...my centrifugal clutch does all the work automatically for me when I STOP.
Old 06-05-2011, 12:56 PM
Gutter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewd View Post
On one of my bikes, my manual clutch was slipping. I adjusted the flower nut but didn't work for me. I removed the centrifugal clutch to get to the manual clutch. I removed all 15 pucks and used fresh cyanocralate glue to glue sand paper to each puck. CA glue is super glue but don't use the garbage fromr retail stores. Get the good stuff from a local radio control model airplane hobby shop. Use either thin or medium CA. Caution-thin CA glue cures very fast and its cure is exothermic meaning it emits a lot of heat capable of causing a 2nd or 3rd degree burn which sucks if it accidentally glues your fingers together...great for sealing and cauterizing a wound that may require a couple of stitches though.

Works great and should last a long time since I VERY RARELY disengage my manual clutch when I'm riding...my centrifugal clutch does all the work automatically for me when I STOP.
Might read up on these clutch pucks. They have been getting rave reviews.
http://motorbicycling.com/f3/clutch-...e-27817-6.html
Old 06-05-2011, 12:58 PM
Gutter Rider

My BoXer has been running like a champ! All I do is get on it and ride
Old 06-05-2011, 02:12 PM

replaced the none functioning brake pads with a fresh set of Kool Stop MTB pads. They really seem to work well. I really wish I had just used them to start with. I really saved a lot going with the cheaper set. I have spent much more than the price of the pads on painkillers and bandages and It looks like I am going to need a new helmet too.

the next step on my motor bicycle is to get a new tachometer, my old EMI didn't seem to want to get wet (in may?). Since I had a tach it makes it a lot easier to rev the motor up higher. If I don't know what it is I keep it lower just to be safe.

with the set up I have now there is a sweat spot in the rpm range where things seem to go smoothly, but then it gets rough for a bit and then smoothes out again. I sometimes think that it would be easer to ride on a paint shaker than on a motorbicycle

mike

mike

Last edited by retromike3; 06-05-2011 at 02:17 PM.
Old 06-05-2011, 02:49 PM

I said goodbye to my bike today. Someone is doing me a favor, so I gave him the bike, but before I did that I gave it ride a few miles to a car show. On the way there, I passed a Harley on the side of the road. He was picking up parts that had fallen off. He gave me a look like WTH is that thing, but I was in motion and he wasnt.

Later, the gentleman who now owns my bike got a rundown on all the things I did to it and things that should be done and potential pitfalls. He was a moto mechanic back in the day and nothing fell on deaf ears. We secured it in his pickup and it now has a good home.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:11 PM
Staff

Wow FreeWheeler, sounds like a ruff day. Are ya hanging up the 10mm wrench for good?

Know what ya mean about a good home. I once sold a motorized bicycle to a not so great home and have regretted ever since.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6Sxv-sUYtM
Old 06-05-2011, 05:31 PM

Took the 4 stroke friction drive out for a couple of miles and a couple of smiles. The throttle wasn't opening all the way. Didn't do anything but take the cable out of the lever and put it back in. I guess it was twisted or sumptin' and binding.

Works good now - Full throttle available. But it is also nice to putt around at less than 10. Unlike the 2 stroke this is just as smooth at 10 as 20.

Ordered up the 50 oz gas tank too. Going remote. 24 ounces is just too small, and the 96 oz tank is too big.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:27 PM

found some handlebars laying around. took the no bend mtb bars off and put a small rise bmx handlebars on. looks pretty cool and ride is comfortable now
Old 06-05-2011, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Wow FreeWheeler, sounds like a ruff day. Are ya hanging up the 10mm wrench for good?

Know what ya mean about a good home. I once sold a motorized bicycle to a not so great home and have regretted ever since.
I dont plan on never wrenching again, but my garage mechanic future isnt too bright at the moment. I have to move to an apartment and cant even find a 10mm wrench right now. I did find an allen wrench and tightened up the kick stand before I handed over the "keys".
Old 06-05-2011, 08:25 PM
Staff

Ahh FWer.

(if you have a half torn down engine on the coffee table and a bicycle in the corner, ya might be a MBer)

Best of luck with the new diggs.

==================

Finally got around to fixing my engine slipping down and causing my chain to fall off. Kinda jury rigged but is just for now. Which of course means it is permanent, lol. I really like my engine mount and did not want to change it even though it slides just enough to cause this. So took a threaded hook and a turn-buckle to hoist it. Works well but kinda ruins my goal of the engine looking like it is part of the frame. Pic makes it appear more pronounced looking then it does in person.

Also!, and am asking here. I had to swap the plug cap from the extended HF one to a regular/short one. Had to take off the terminal. (small nipple on the plug's head) The engine loved it! Started easier, ran smoother and although I did not have a tach on this bike, seemed faster then just minutes before using the same plug with the terminal still on the plug. Was not a placebo effect as I was not expecting a change. Any ideas? Was a big difference.

Also needed less choke.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg engine hoist.jpg (110.1 KB, 43 views)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6Sxv-sUYtM

Last edited by Dan; 06-05-2011 at 08:48 PM.

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner