Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 06-04-2011, 11:15 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by retromike3 View Post
I was having my clutch lever juggle out at inappropriate times causing me to kill the motor at stops and not be able to start, So I mounted a plate on the clutch cover that had a right angle on it with a spring that held the clutch lever down.I put a ten mm bolt from a brake pad so it had a top that the spring would rest on and not jump off. I had to pound a slight bow in the plate so that the arm moved freely.

I had to drill and tap a couple of fine threaded screws to the clutch plate. I then pit blue lock tight on the inside of the threads.

The more I do the more its looking like a rat rod.

mike
This is how I fixed mine when I was having the same issue with the my clutch arm/sprocket cover.

I got some Alumi Weld rods from Harbor Freight Tools and then with some carb cleaner I cleaned the cover very good, then took my 4 1/2" hand grinder and groound a flat spot where that little retainer pin is and then sprayed again with carb. cleaner, scrubbed the area to be fixed real good with a STAINLESS STEEL wire brush (this is a must) cant use steel wire brush it has to be stainless steel or the alumi weld wont stick.... I then heated the area to be repaired and used the rods as nstructed, have not had one come loose and cause me another problem since this fix on 3 or 4 of the covers so far.

Hope this helps some one here if you are having this issue.

By the way the retainer set up you made there is just fine it wil do the trick if that is all you have to work with, nothing wrong with a good fix......

Peace
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 03132011(002).jpg (22.9 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg 03132011(003).jpg (35.9 KB, 30 views)
Old 06-05-2011, 12:14 AM

started work on re-building the motor, also re-building the chopper bike as well. :3

Quote:
Originally Posted by biknut View Post
Traditional bicycle riders think we're cheaters. Non riders think our bikes are toys. Bicycle shops think we're a threat. Tree huggers think we're polluters. The police don't know what to think.
Old 06-05-2011, 12:51 AM

tuning expansion camber not done yet-I suspect my head pipe is going to get much shorter- head pipe is fat-9in. long start fast no boost yet 1/2in. at a time tell it comes on I figure many more cuts to go
Old 06-05-2011, 01:26 AM

I had a problem with my brakes squealing, so I replaced my rear brake pads. I had some Kool Stop V-brake pads and replace them with Tecktero's, BIG MISTAKE. My usual route on this particular road requires me to make a left-hand turn. Normally I kill the motor and go on the sidewalk up to the intersection. This time I hit the clutch and grabbed the rear brake. Nothing happened!! The next thing I know I'm lying on the ground with my bike beside me and I know it's going to hurt.

I had a good Samaritan who asked me if I was okay, at this point I look over at my arm and notice that it's not broken. That's good, I do however have about a foot of road rash all the way around my arm at my elbow. That's bad. I look at my leg it does hurt but it seems to be pointing in the correct direction. The good Samaritan notes that there is gas leaking from my tank and picks up the bike for me. He says that the frame looks bent so I get up and look. Man that hurt, Turns out that my old school stem and fork (1 1/8th) just got out of alignment.I spin the front wheel looks straight. The rear wheel looks good too and after I peddle it for a couple of blocks I popped the clutch and it takes right off. This is a good thing because pedaling really hurts.

My helmet went through the ordeal without too many scratches but for some reason the little clasp has come undone.Unfortunately I had my gloves in my pocket so my hands are kind of beat up so I'm having a really hard time getting my chinstrap to work correctly.( I finally did get the thing to work for my ride home but that was a little later.)

looks like my motor bicycle is a heck of a lot better shape than I am. The next thing I'm going to do if I'm able is to replace the brake pads with another pair of Kool Stops and I was thinking about lengthening my exhaust pipe even farther so that I will get less oil on my rear wheel and my rim.

Two good things !: my glasses didn't break( Harley-Davidson titanium) 2: my G shock watch is still going. The two bad things are that my ribs hurt every time I inhale and my leg still hurts a little even with too Vicodin's down my throat.

I hope you guys had a better day than me.

mike
Old 06-05-2011, 02:08 AM

What a thread.

I added the turn signal/horn/brake light unit I bought for the bike today.

The recently added seat-post mounted "book rack" has a licence plate end and since the turn signal unit expects to be seat-post mounted I picked up some Velcro and attached the light unit with Velcro. ( Industrial size is wide ) to the end of the book rack. Not exactly the best looking mount and I'm not sure what the final configuration will be right now. I'll be giving it some thought.

I can post pictures and take suggestions if there is interest.

So far the Main flaw is that switching to left or right turn signal and back to off can be awkward because the switch doesn't have a solid "click" for center.
The horn is reasonable but not the road rage device I have heard about. Some sort of compressed air horn. ( I want to reward those pass only to make a slow and careful right turn in front of me as I approach @26mph after they hurriedly pass me to do so ) Got to ask what the **** people are thinking when they speed around only to cut a bicycle off in traffic.

I'd like a different style on the turn signal. Maybe a larger Arrow display but it's good to have some sort of an indicator and the brake light is especially nice in principle. Could be larger IMO.
There is a spring switch that can be placed in several locations according to the supplied instructions.
Simply put the switch where the brake cable is pulled to brake, feed the cable through the switch and a set screw locks one end to the cable so when the brake cable is pulled it squeezes the switch and turns on all three LED's on the brake light. There will be a single LED lit if I switch on the tail light.

In short, any sort of safety device is welcomed.

Positives. It's not too expensive. If it can handle the wet okay then it offers 8 horns including one that sounds like a truck backing up beep-beep. It uses two AA's and Installation is reasonable for average people. It offers a signalling to those behind us at night.

Negatives. Mounting options are limited and device body style could be improved for other mounting options. The left turn right turn switch could be much more ergonomically designed. The display unit itself could sport large Right/Left pointing arrows since many will not expect brake and turn signals on a bicycle and they could use the visual aid to aid in informing drivers.

What I am now considering is the front light(s). I do want something nice yet not so easy to remove.
The story of how I paid $50 or so a piece for two of the then new Cat-Eye front lights for a previous bike some years ago and how the Cat-eyes obviously became someone's flash-lights makes me wonder just how smart some petty thieves are.
I mean take the time to steal nice bike lights I can understand but leaving the mounting clamps on the handle bar is dumb.
I worry that to take the stop light they will cut wires and leave the controller mounted to the handle bars.

Time to research front lights. I do enjoy a brightly lit road at night.

I'll more than likely add some wire to the length of the brake/turn unit so I can route the wires more to the path of the frame.
Old 06-05-2011, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retromike3 View Post
I had a problem with my brakes squealing, so I replaced my rear brake pads. I had some Kool Stop V-brake pads and replace them with Tecktero's, BIG MISTAKE. My usual route on this particular road requires me to make a left-hand turn. Normally I kill the motor and go on the sidewalk up to the intersection. This time I hit the clutch and grabbed the rear brake. Nothing happened!! The next thing I know I'm lying on the ground with my bike beside me and I know it's going to hurt.

I had a good Samaritan who asked me if I was okay, at this point I look over at my arm and notice that it's not broken. That's good, I do however have about a foot of road rash all the way around my arm at my elbow. That's bad. I look at my leg it does hurt but it seems to be pointing in the correct direction. The good Samaritan notes that there is gas leaking from my tank and picks up the bike for me. He says that the frame looks bent so I get up and look. Man that hurt, Turns out that my old school stem and fork (1 1/8th) just got out of alignment.I spin the front wheel looks straight. The rear wheel looks good too and after I peddle it for a couple of blocks I popped the clutch and it takes right off. This is a good thing because pedaling really hurts.

My helmet went through the ordeal without too many scratches but for some reason the little clasp has come undone.Unfortunately I had my gloves in my pocket so my hands are kind of beat up so I'm having a really hard time getting my chinstrap to work correctly.( I finally did get the thing to work for my ride home but that was a little later.)

looks like my motor bicycle is a heck of a lot better shape than I am. The next thing I'm going to do if I'm able is to replace the brake pads with another pair of Kool Stops and I was thinking about lengthening my exhaust pipe even farther so that I will get less oil on my rear wheel and my rim.

Two good things !: my glasses didn't break( Harley-Davidson titanium) 2: my G shock watch is still going. The two bad things are that my ribs hurt every time I inhale and my leg still hurts a little even with too Vicodin's down my throat.

I hope you guys had a better day than me.

mike

Glad you made it,

Disc Brake failed too?
Old 06-05-2011, 02:36 AM
Motorized Bicycle Member

I'm at work now, on my ipud.

But in our meeting room is my felt 1903 with nice new gas cap on top tube and sediment bowl under the tank. Looks good. No pics now though.
Old 06-05-2011, 03:55 AM

To Ernist: no disk in front but I do have a really good V-brake there I just don't remember. I might have used it and flipped my bike myself. in fact upon further thought thats probably what happened. I hit the wheelchair ramp turning my bike to the right and hitting the brake, launching myself off the bike. My bike probably did a similar pirouette as I did. which is why it was right next to me. Since I was going about three times as fast as I usually go into that turn, it just tossed me.

It would have been neat to see that on U-tube. I would get a million hits with that vid. Good thing I didn't because there are enough bad examples without adding mine to the list.

Sheepishly mike
Old 06-05-2011, 05:26 AM
Motorized Bicycle Member

Lol.....

I just read this entire thread, and as of yet no one has said that they rode their motor bike today.
Old 06-05-2011, 06:40 AM

I swapped my 63t engine chainring to a 72t sprocket.

That lowers my first gear ratio from 32.46:1 to 37.09:1...

That should give me a better hole shot and less stress on my automatic clutch.
All 8 speeds' gear ratios will lower, which is not a bad thing.

I can't wait for the sun to rise, then go for a test ride.

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner