Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 05-19-2011, 05:48 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Just got my new gas tank bracket and plug wire from Duane for my super titan...under warranty....Duane is great. For some strange reason the original snapped and cut the plug boot. I was able to "fix it" with electrical tape and two ss zip ties to keep it running till I got the new parts. On my other motorized bicycle the rear hub failed. Called Huffy and got a free rim for my Karaoke comming in the mail. I am so happy I registered the bike with them. Just last week I put a new tube, tires and front pads on it. Go figure now I need a new rim...ha. Thats what happens when you buy a Huffy. All an all everything worked out...no money out of my pocket...for once.
Old 05-20-2011, 01:17 AM

here is a pic of it. the top bolts are drilled thru the mount and secured with nuts/washers on bottome side. The metal square tubing is just a spacer I needed to get things to fit properly.

do not drill too close to the engine case for two reasons, you don't want to compromise the case and cause an airleak and if you drill to close, you may not be able to rotate the nuts to tighten the bolt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg resized ht front mount repair.jpg (81.3 KB, 48 views)

Last edited by Drewd; 05-20-2011 at 01:31 AM.
Old 05-20-2011, 01:30 AM

That mount looks good.
Old 05-20-2011, 02:02 AM

Put some grease on my internal gears and broke my ground wire that was hooked to the other side of the housing. so I had to rewire it. Then I took it for a test ride and found out that my NT carb had a problem with the float valve and it dumped gas all over the next doors neighbors driveway. Lucy for me it was hot out and it evaporated. Then I took the bike for a ride around the block and forgot that I left my cheep 10mm wrench on my rear rack. I heard a "clink" but by the time I got home it was long gone. Walked around the block looking for it but no luck.

On the good side a old buddy of mine gave me a Columbus stainless steel tube set and about a half ounce of 40/60 nickel silver to put t together with. I fond out that today its worth over six hundred bucks.

Ya lose some, Ya win some!

mike
Old 05-20-2011, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retromike3 View Post
On the good side a old buddy of mine gave me a Columbus stainless steel tube set and about a half ounce of 40/60 nickel silver to put t together with.

mike
At that value I would say you won!
What exactly is a "tube set"?

My mind went to an old T.V. set with tube circuitry, but that wouldn't be made of stainless steel....

Does not come with a fortune cookie."
Old 05-20-2011, 08:00 AM

I received some goodies from AGK, so I installed them on my HF 2.5 (cover just resting on there) and took a picture:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HF+AGK.jpg (531.7 KB, 72 views)
Old 05-20-2011, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retromike3 View Post
Put some grease on my internal gears and broke my ground wire that was hooked to the other side of the housing. so I had to rewire it. Then I took it for a test ride and found out that my NT carb had a problem with the float valve and it dumped gas all over the next doors neighbors driveway. Lucy for me it was hot out and it evaporated. Then I took the bike for a ride around the block and forgot that I left my cheep 10mm wrench on my rear rack. I heard a "clink" but by the time I got home it was long gone. Walked around the block looking for it but no luck.

On the good side a old buddy of mine gave me a Columbus stainless steel tube set and about a half ounce of 40/60 nickel silver to put t together with. I fond out that today its worth over six hundred bucks.

Ya lose some, Ya win some!

mike
My NT did that. There's the obvious, there's crap in there holding it open. Or, the issue I had.
Take the needle out, and the tube that the needle seats into.
When you look at the needle it will probably have a groove worn into it from the seat, that's why it's leaking.
Put the needle in a drill and spin it on sandpaper to smooth the needle out again, I went up to 2000, because that's what I had. Got it all shiny again.

Then to address the seat. The needle is (apparently) softer than the seat because the seat wears grooves into the needle. Looking into the seat you see a sharp edge, I took a small dremel bit with taper on the end to the seat to make it tapered rather than a sharp edge.

This mod worked great for me! I still had other issues with the NT afterwards, but sporadically leaking all over the place was off the list.

After you do this, you've essentially raised the float level, so you may have to drop the float afterwards.
Old 05-20-2011, 01:40 PM
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Aleman View Post
I received some goodies from AGK, so I installed them on my HF 2.5 (cover just resting on there) and took a picture:
Man that looks awesome!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6Sxv-sUYtM
Old 05-20-2011, 02:07 PM

inlet neadle seat I alway use a Q tip with valve grinding compound.I put the Q tip in a drill and put the compound on the tip them polish away untill its like new.Saved a lot of carbs this way ,the Q tip will mold like the seat and the compound polishes it nice ,just make sure to flush good.

I didnt do anything to my bike but a kid in town liked mine so much he talked his dad into getting him one.His dad had asked me to help with the build so we stayed up untill 9 pm last night getting the bugs worked out,today he is ridding and happy as can be.I donated one of my exra hub addapters and we threw the rag joint in the garbage save a lot of time.His dad is going to try one next,cant wait to see that
Old 05-20-2011, 05:13 PM

While riding home from work, my engine drive chain grabbed my pants cuff for a second, shredded it a bit, then released. It was like a shark's warning nip; the next bite would grab hold, then throw me off the bike and kill me.

Death is my co-pilot.

When riding an motorized bicycle with a shift kit, I try to remember to downshift before coming to a complete stop. If not, the cassette would stay in whichever gear I was in last. When my engine was idling low enough to disengage the centrifugal clutch, I'd manually downshift and pedal before coming to a complete stop. Now that my engine idle is high, the clutch is slightly engaged at idle. Thus, while coasting to a stop, both chains are moving. I just downshift and the chain smoothly shifts into gear.

Previously, I would always powershift after releasing the throttle a bit. I imagine that takes a toll on the chain and gears, but makes for a smoother power transition. Now I completely release the throttle, then shift gears. I guess it's easier on the chain & derailleur mesh, especially since the fast idle helps. Power transfer is more brutal now, so I have to be sure I'm hanging on tightly to the handlebar.

The two front mounting bolts and fittings on my new Avenir rear rack unloosened and fell off during my ride. The only thing keeping my rack from pivoting rearward and contacting my tire was the engine's rubber fuel hose(I have my 4-liter HT fuel tank mounted on the rear rack). The rack pivoted back six inches and the fuel line kept it from moving any more. Luckily, the front support rods did not fall into the spokes, or there would've been a horrific accident. I used a 1/4" nylon tiewrap to secure the front of the rack until I could ride to the bike shop. They didn't have any spare parts, so I was forced to buy another rack to replace tghe missing mounting pieces. If the owner can order the pieces I need, then he said he's allow me to return that second rack. In the meantime, I'm trying to figure out how to fab those pieces. If they can't order those missing pieces, I'm stuck with buying that second rack for those missing rack mount pieces.

Last edited by 5-7HEAVEN; 05-20-2011 at 05:17 PM.

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner