Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Cruiser Bicycles

Motorized Cruiser Bicycles The beach cruiser has always been great bicycles to motorize. They just look good with a motor. Use this section to share and discuss about motorizing this classic.

Old 10-24-2010, 09:00 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie
Default Murray Cruiser

About a month ago I put together my first motorbicycle- an old Ross cruiser. It was really like a Mountain bike without any of the good parts of a mountain bike (suspension, etc) So, I decided to pick up a cruiser off of craigs and do it up right. The 48cc GT5 had proven itself in the ross for 235 miles so I just transferred it over to the Murray. This would be my first coaster brake bike since the 16" wheeled raleigh BMX I had 28 years ago.

Here she is as a virgin:

And Motorized:

One reason I went with the cruiser was to get the Shimano Coaster Hub which is compatible with an in stock! Manic adaptor. I hated the rag joint and really wanted a better setup. It's worth it and I have no regrets. Pirate shipped it out (w 40t sprocket) super fast and even sent some Halloween candy in the package.

I also reindexed the clutch arm so that the pull angle is mo' better. Made a huge difference in the clutch effort.

I went with a Northern Tool #41 chain for this build. I wanted to ditch the tensioner but after I cut the chain I found it was not going to work without the tensioner so reluctantly I put it back on (w some better bolts from the tool bin).

I might go with a springer fork, I definitely want to upgrade to V or disc brakes in front. I have some beefy alloy rims on order and will get those swapped over fairly soon.

Riding impression is that the bike rides smoother than the ross- might be frame flex who knows. Cruising rpms are much better with the 40t sprocket.

Last edited by azdriver; 10-24-2010 at 09:02 PM.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:30 PM
Super Moderator
Thumbs up Re: Murray Cruiser

Awesome Job AZdriver that is one sweet ride...two thumbs up
Old 10-25-2010, 08:42 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: Murray Cruiser

agreed,,,nice job !!!

Intelligence is learning from your own mistakes,
Wisdom is learning from the mistakes of others

EZ Motorbike Dealer - Fountain Hills, AZ
EZ Motorbike of Fountain Hills
Old 10-25-2010, 10:12 AM
The Boy Who Never Grew Up

Me, too...
Someday when I grow up I will probably lose interest in toys with wheels, but until then...
Old 10-25-2010, 04:36 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

nice build