Machined Aluminum Spring-Loaded Chain-Tensioner

GoldenMotor.com

kipharley

Jul 9, 2009
Sanford,Maine
Hi,gang.This is my version of what a spring loaded chain-tensioner should look like.Sorry about the quality of the pics!This one is my proto-type it's made out of 1/8" steel.If I get a good enough responce I'll offer a machined aluminum bolt on kit in either black or clear anodize.What do ya think?
Kip.
[email protected]

Attachments

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
that is nice. i've been thinking of a design, not exactly similar to yours, but the way it mounts to the engine, near the exiting chain. y'know, where it's supposed to be...

problem is, i never used a chain tensioner, so it wasn't a priority.

good idea, good design, now keep us informed as to how it works. finally, a better mousetrap.:)

kipharley

Jul 9, 2009
Sanford,Maine
Thanks for the compliments!Believe it or not that spring is pretty stout!It looks like a carb spring but it's much heavier.
I also had to work within the paramiters that I have.I couldn't use a larger diameter spring as it might get slapped by the chain as it was moving up and down.
I don't want to off-set the spring.
The length of the spring works perfect for my set-up.
There's tension on the chain in a resting state when moving there's good tension enough to keep the chain from slapping but not exessive enough to damage the chain or sprockets.
There's also spring left if the tensioner is pivoted down and away from the chain without streching the spring.
I think I lucked out.
Those additional holes are for motors that are mounted at different angles than mine or bikes that have a different wheel base.
I think it's a pretty universal fit and it's away from the WHEEL and SPOKES.Thanks again for the interest.Kip
[email protected]

Last edited:

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
The more I think about it, the more I think you have a winner. I'm trying to think through how it will work in situations where the old stock tensioner sometimes acted more as a guide to nudge the chain to one side or the other for clearance issues with either the tire or the chain stay. Certainly for maintaining proper tension it will be real good, especially for those bikes where adjusting the wheel backwards is not an option. I'm trying to remember, but it seems to me on one build, the tensioner just raising the chain up a bit kept it from rubbing against the chain stay. Just ruminating. Its a good design, Kip.
SB

kipharley

Jul 9, 2009
Sanford,Maine
The more I think about it, the more I think you have a winner. I'm trying to think through how it will work in situations where the old stock tensioner sometimes acted more as a guide to nudge the chain to one side or the other for clearance issues with either the tire or the chain stay. Certainly for maintaining proper tension it will be real good, especially for those bikes where adjusting the wheel backwards is not an option. I'm trying to remember, but it seems to me on one build, the tensioner just raising the chain up a bit kept it from rubbing against the chain stay. Just ruminating. Its a good design, Kip.
SB[/QUOTE
If that was the issue one could slightly shim the tension wheel one way or the other.I wouldn't recommend too much.You could leave the tensioner there if you needed clearance and use my tensioner for the chain tension that would take some presure off the clearance tensioner.
I don't think it's a cure all but I think it's a good option!
I like that word ruminating,so were you chewing your cud or meditating.He He.Thanks for the compliment!! Kip.
[email protected]

aero07

Oct 12, 2009
Alabama
Hi,gang.This is my version of what a spring loaded chain-tensioner should look like.Sorry about the quality of the pics!This one is my proto-type it's made out of 1/8" steel.If I get a good enough responce I'll offer a machined aluminum bolt on kit in either black or clear anodize.What do ya think?
Kip.
[email protected]
Well thought out. I think you have a winner too.
All you need to do is set a price and start cranking them out..bld.

Three-Wire

Aug 12, 2010
Goddard, KS
Wow, that's a really nicely executed idea. Better that anything I'd come up with yet... I've been fighting putting a tensioner on my Nel Lusso, but I can't quite match the chain lengths well enough and the lower drive chain bounces too much. Your idea would be a great solution!

I'm in for at least 2...

kipharley

Jul 9, 2009
Sanford,Maine
Hi,Gang.I met with my machinist buddy yesterday and he is working up a price for me.
He's going to call me Mon.
I called Justin at Pirate Cycles and he is on board with me to retail them.
Nothings set in stone yet so any input would be appreatiated.
Study my design if you see where I could make an improvement post it.
If I use it I'll make sure you get a discount if you buy one!
Thanks again for the comments and compliments! Kip.
[email protected]

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I hope production costs will make it a viable product and a real source of income for you. Justin is a good choice in vendors. I have nothing but praise for that man. He's a class act with a whole lot of personal integrity and a dedication to serving his clients well. I am sure you guys will form a great partnership. Couldn't be happier for you. Good going, bud!
SB

kipharley

Jul 9, 2009
Sanford,Maine
Hey Kip,
if you decide to make these and sell them, please add an optional toothed gear instead of just the stock plastic roller. It would add more beauty to your item and seam more professional looking.

Over all Im excited to see you make this product ,and if you decide to sell these , figure in your cost of shipping then add it to the price and then advertise it as "free" shipping. Makes for an easier sell.

good luck
Hi,Hurricane.If you go to the General Discusion Thread and Look at the Chain Tensioner I posted there you can see the first one I built this one is The second generation and I will offer a sprocket instead of the wheel.The sprocket will add about $20.
Thanks for the comments.Kip.
[email protected]

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I'd suggest selling the tensioner and chain carrier separately, so that someone could opt for the sprocket or the small wheel or if they already have something appropriate purchase just the tensioner. Different people have different budgets and different skills. This makes it more affordable for some of us who live below the poverty level, but still want nice quality things and a safe ride.
SB