Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle Welcome Forum > Introduce Yourself

Introduce Yourself Meet & greet your fellow motorized bicyclists, make introductions and even find others in your area.

Old 10-16-2010, 06:37 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie
Default New in AZ

Hi this is my first post. I recently acquired a 1976 Tomos moped and started the process of troubleshooting the reason why it doesn't start.

Its been setting for a while so I began by removing and disassembling the fuel system. The fuel tank is integral to the frame but the carb wasn't really all that bad so I hope all will be well with the tank after a good flushing.

The ignition system is all original. The plug doesn't fire so I started by removing the flywheel, cleaning and inspecting. This model has 2 pick up coils under the flywheel with one contact set and condenser. Three wire route from the ignition system; one to the coil and that other two to the wiring loom, assuming to the kill switch. The odometer reads 300 miles and all looks pretty clean. The points were mildly corroded but AZ weather has been kind to. It's also been in storage for the past 10+ years so everything was easily removable. One of the wires between the pickup coils showed open so I repaired it. Also, the magnets on the inside of the flywheel were mildly rubbing on the pick up coils so I cleaned and adjusted the gap to about .010", points gap set to around .020". Still no luck. I pulled the ignition coil. It shows some continuity between spark plug cable in and that single connector form the pick coils or magneto.

I really don't want to just guess and buy a new ignition coil, points & condenser...especially if they're problematic. Does anyone have any ideas? Has anyone used an electronic ignition conversion kit to replace their old conventional ignition. Thanks........RH
Old 10-17-2010, 01:02 PM
Super Moderator
Smile Re: New in AZ

Welcome to the forum

Old 10-17-2010, 02:26 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: New in AZ

welcome from FH
sorry, I can't help with any of your questions

Intelligence is learning from your own mistakes,
Wisdom is learning from the mistakes of others

EZ Motorbike Dealer - Fountain Hills, AZ
EZ Motorbike of Fountain Hills
Old 10-17-2010, 03:12 PM

Welcome. You might try Myron's Mopeds in Fullerton, Ca. He has a good website.
Old 10-17-2010, 03:16 PM

Hi rhagler, welcome from Phoenix as well, actually I just moved to the Sunnyslope area just south of North Mountain.

Are you checking spark with a meter or the plug?
You might have a bad plug or coil wire/plug cap.

I haven't messed with mopeds but you are welcome to bring it by and we can meet and greet, have a brew, and dink around with it if you are near enough to 15th Ave and Hatcher.

I am still settling into the new digs and my motorized bicycle shop isn't fully setup yet, but everything is in it.

Drop me an E, and say hi on my local motorized bicycle biz forum, the link is in my sig.
KC's Krusiers Builds