Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle Tavern > Laws and Legislation for Motorized Bicycles

Laws and Legislation for Motorized Bicycles Share you knowledge of the laws in your state in this forum. Remember to always verify everything yourself with your dmv

Old 10-09-2010, 03:29 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Georgia to allow right to travel without a license.

GEORGIA TO ALLOW RIGHT TO DRIVE WITHOUT A LICENSE This
Act shall be known and may be cited as the "Right to Travel Act."
hb875.html
Old 10-09-2010, 04:12 PM

Default Re: Georgia to allow right to travel without a license.

It will never pass.

Without any form of control over people driving cars, trucks and buses etc. there would be a nightmare on the highways and byways of GA. If you want to have an idea of what I mean just look at the country of India. They average 180,000 highway deaths per year. People drive on the wrong side of the road, pass on sharp bends and nobody bothers to stop at intersections. That is just some of it.

This sounds like an idea from the people that claim you don't have to pay income tax. That is a good idea isn't it? Go straight to jail and do not pass go.

Terry
Old 10-09-2010, 04:38 PM

Quote:
(6) The right to travel upon the public highways is not a mere privilege which may be permitted or prohibited at will but the common right which every citizen has under his or her right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Under this constitutional guarantee one may, therefore, under normal conditions, travel at his or her inclination along the public highways or in public places while conducting himself or herself in an orderly and decent manner; and
(7) Thus, the legislature does not have the power to abrogate the citizens' right to travel upon the public roads by passing legislation forcing the citizen to waive the right and convert that right into a privilege.
I don't see anything in this bill that would take away rules of the road. It would simply recognize the right to travel. This means that one need not ask permission. Therefore, no more 'licensing'.

As for India: they have licenses just like the states here.
Quote:
This sounds like an idea from the people that claim you don't have to pay income tax.
Guilt by association, eh? I smell a red herring.

Last edited by HT2005; 10-09-2010 at 04:49 PM.
Old 10-09-2010, 06:21 PM

You would people that are not mentally capable of driving a grocery cart out on the highways. Yes, India has a drivers license but the roads are a complete disaster because they do not know how to drive a car correctly.

Like I said it will never pass. If it does I will give you 1 month of my income! Put up or shut up as the saying goes. Nobody with any level of intelligence would ever think any differently.

I can see where this is headed I'm I am not going there. You go a head a take your shots. I'm finished on this thread.

Have a good day.

Terry
Old 10-09-2010, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulltimer View Post
You would people that are not mentally capable of driving a grocery cart out on the highways. Yes, India has a drivers license but the roads are a complete disaster because they do not know how to drive a car correctly.
Oh, so this whole 'India' reference was about the fact that people who don't know how to drive, yet attempt to, will be bad drivers? If that's what you're getting at, we're in the same boat. India also has a different culture than ours, bad infrastructure, very crowded cities, and lax law enforcement.

Quote:
Like I said it will never pass. If it does I will give you 1 month of my income! Put up or shut up as the saying goes. Nobody with any level of intelligence would ever think any differently.
Yeah, it probably won't pass. Not with the direction *cough* misdirection this country is headed in. Especially since most people don't know what 'freedom' really means. 'Freedom' has degenerated into a slogan used to make people feel good. A very small minority actually understand the term.

Quote:
I can see where this is headed I'm I am not going there. You go a head a take your shots. I'm finished on this thread.

Have a good day.

Terry

Have it your way. I'll have it my way.
Old 10-09-2010, 07:43 PM

Interesting for sure. I would never have thunk it. Is there a vote date set on this ?

Ron

NEVER BEAT ON IT, GET A BIGGER HAMMER

"A MAN WHO SAY`S IT CANNOT BE DONE SHOULD NOT INTERRUPT A MAN DOING IT"
Old 10-09-2010, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEAT TIMES View Post
Interesting for sure. I would never have thunk it. Is there a vote date set on this ?

Ron
Well, unfortunately, it's currently stuck in committee.

Georgia General Assembly - HB 875

Last edited by HT2005; 10-09-2010 at 08:32 PM.
Old 10-09-2010, 09:25 PM

Thing of it is requiring a drivers license to OPERATE a motor vehicle in no way restricts a person of their right to travel. You can travel anywhere you want to in the entire United States without any sort of license or permission. You can walk, ride a bike, take a bus, plane, train, ride in a car, truck or on a motorcycle without a license. Saying that requiring a person have a license to operate a vehicle is restricting their right to travel is just plain stupid. That right there is a fine example of your tax dollars at work.

:edit: And BTW if this does somehow miraculously pass be prepared for Georgia to have the highest auto insurance rates in the country and also the highest amount of automobile liability litigation, the trial lawyers are gonna get stinking rich(er).

Last edited by Kevlarr; 10-09-2010 at 09:29 PM.
Old 10-09-2010, 09:35 PM

Talking Re: Georgia to allow right to travel without a license.

I have actually watched the movie mad max more than 12 times , not only because it reminds me of interstate 85 in Atlanta Georgia , but I have already seen die hard more than 20 times ; and there is nothing else on television.,,. and it has an story , machines stop running because of no gas , if yall have any ideas on how to attach an crows nest to an build ,, please paste them on the build pictures thread ,, we will need them with this law ,, and without an pictured license identification , I will go by the nic name max or toecutter while on the highway they will never know the difference
Old 10-09-2010, 09:38 PM

I want to be known as "Flapjack McGee"!