Riding in hilly area

GoldenMotor.com

Zack01GC

Sep 14, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
So.. there is basically no flat areas to ride in my area, primarily hills, ranging in length and grade.

My question is... is my 66cc ZB motor going to carry my Cranbrook, my 160 lb. frame, and a backpack up hills? Now I'm worried I spent all of this money, and the bike is going to be nearly useless for about a half mile of decently steep hill on my commute.

I'm sure it will pull me around with ease on flat riding surfaces... but since those are rare, will it take me up hills? Hopefully faster than a crawl?

virginian

Dec 19, 2009
McLean VA
Hills should be no problem as long as your gearing is appropriate.

My Tanaka 32cc on a GEBE system makes it seem like hills are not even there. On the flat it goes 30 - 32 mph. It climbs long moderate grades (about 5%) almost as fast - about 25 mph. When I pedal those hills, I have to go all out to go 6 to 8 mph.

It will take very steep 10% grades at 10 to 12 mph even after all the initial momentum is gone. Without a motor I would probably have to walk those hills.

Zack01GC

Sep 14, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
This is good to hear. I will be using the standard 44 tooth rear drive sprocket included with the kit until I get used to the bike, then modify from there.

I don't think I'll have to rejet the carb here in PA, we aren't near the altitude of some places in CO.

I was just hoping that I would have to do little to no pedaling up these hills as the bike is just a single speed, probably make it near impossible to pedal up some of them. I'm out of shape too, so that doesn't help.

Mac

Dec 3, 2009
Maine
Zach01GC,
I'm running a PK80, I was using a 44 on the rear, I am over 200lbs, and I have some steep hills here in Maine, I eventually went to a 41 rear, better cruising rpm and just as good up the hills. A SBP(Sick Bike Parts) tuned pipe and the right jetting will make a world of difference, also go with a B5HS(with the pipe) and a good performance wire, there worth there weight in Gold!

Mac

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
My cranny does better on hills with my 36T over the standard 44. One big hill I hit I'd get down to 15 or so but with the 36 I only drop to about 20 at the top and I'm just a tad bit more than 160lbs. lol

Zack01GC

Sep 14, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Thanks for the reassurance, guys.

I will modify the bike when the time comes and I have some extra cash. Right now I just need it running and usable for a class project (as well as my main transportation to and from campus).

Can you buy different jets for the carb? Or is there modification required? I'm a fuel injected kind of guy (though primitive... 1984 BMW), and my previous 2-strokes I never played with the carbs on them, just as long as they worked (weedwhackers, chainsaws, the "old unstoppable" 1971 Lawn-Boy I use to cut grass at home), and never really worried about performance. Only other carburetors I've messed with were an old 2-barrel from a Ford 302, dual side-drafts for a 1953 Triumph, and an old Rochester Quadra-Jet.

This is mostly a new realm for me, I appreciate the info.

Mac

Dec 3, 2009
Maine
Depends on the carb you have, the stock china one will be ok as long as the jet is properly sized, a good starting point is .o26" or a #72 drill bit, put s drop of electrical solder over the mouth of the jet, don't fill the whole thing, flux it and try to fill just the tip, a quick shake while hot should remove exxes, then take the drill in a micro hand fixture, twist the drill into where the old hole was, slowly, keep the drill even, roll the drill until it goes thru, make sure ya get the shavings out before yer done. The stock carb does NOT have a mixture(air) adjustment. Hope that helped.

Mac

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
I am around 300 and the stock kit pulled my around fine except for one steep long hill, I upgraded my rear sprocket to a 50t and it pulls me up fine now, no fancy pipes or carbs, straight stock except for the sprocket, and my top end has not been significantly effected, 50t are easy to come by as they use to be stock in one of the kits.

JG88cc

Sep 22, 2010
San Diego
Zach01GC,
I'm running a PK80, I was using a 44 on the rear, I am over 200lbs, and I have some steep hills here in Maine, I eventually went to a 41 rear, better cruising rpm and just as good up the hills. A SBP(Sick Bike Parts) tuned pipe and the right jetting will make a world of difference, also go with a B5HS(with the pipe) and a good performance wire, there worth there weight in Gold!

Mac[/QUOTE

What is a B5HS, and how for I mess with my jetting?

thanks

r00t4rd3d

Aug 2, 2010
Internet
I got a cranbrook and a no name 66cc off ebay. I have a CNS carb , MM intake , Poo Poo pipe , iridium plug for mods. I can fly up any hill. 44tooth sprocket , 150lbs.

klb6154

Jun 20, 2010
pittsburgh pa
im 265 lbs and i live in the pittsburgh are w lots of hills pulls me almost anywhere w the baffel out w it in got to help on the realy steep ones but it keeps the local boys in blue off of my back and now i get thumbs up not dirty looks 36t on a cranny converted to a 7 speed w a wheel and shifter from a next power climber from a trash pick not too had to build but you have to strech the rear section of the frame i did it by carefully bending it w my bare hands im pretty strong but it was not that hard to do get rid of the fenders they just rattle anyway and fall off use the bolt from the fender to mount the shifter youll have to drill the shifter slightly larger klb6154's photos .shft..shft.at photobucket.com got another link in the rat rod section of this site under new old junk chopper check it out 2nd from top clip position on the needle unless you seriously mod the motor or live in the mountains no rejet necisary