clutch and brake lever set up

GoldenMotor.com

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Yes, all motor kits come with a locking clutch lever.

It works like a normal lever, but when you have it pulled in you can push that button down with your thumb to lock it.

Note: It locks about 2/3rds of the way pulled in. This is where you want to fine tune you clutch adjustment to roll completely free, but engage the motor when you pull the lever a bit so the spring pops the button up and lets the lever go back all the way.
In short, you lock it in Neutral with that button.

As far as lever angle goes, everyones hands are different sizes and sit at different heights.
For me on that bike about 65° works best to put the lever on that first joint from the fingernail.

If you just snug up both levers and then sit how you ride you can use one hand to rotate the other hands lever to be in the perfect location for you on that bike, then tweak them down.

To me the handlebars are the most important part of an MB.
At least in my experience nothing fatigues me more than crappy grips and levers in the wrong place so I NEVER use those crappy hard kit handgrips and use at least BMX foam grips, they will fit over the throttle barrel.

In my pic examples I was able to use the foam and leather Giant Bike original grips, but you won't find that many bike grips as they won't go over the throttle barrel.

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
I used my front derailer which is a three speed shimano rapid fire shifting lever/ brake combo. It works slick. I am thinking about switching to a thumb throttle instead of a twist.

Tim_B_172

Aug 26, 2009
Saint Joseph, MO
I use this dual pull handle and throttle combination in one unit on both of my bikes. On the old bike I always found it hard to adjust the brakes and on the new one I simply CANNOT get it adjusted so that I have enough stopping power without constant brake pad rubbing. So I came to the conclusion that maybe this brake handle wasn't meant for V-brakes. I will put a normal single pull V-brake handle on my new bike tomorrow and see what happens. Unfortunately it means I wall have no front brake while testing.

In follow up: Yeah the single pull handle worked like a dream. The brake handle/throttle in my link is no good if you have V brakes.

I can stop just fine on my rear brake alone, but I would prefer to have both brakes. Maybe I will have to invent my own dual pull handle. I've already got ideas rolling around my brain for that. ;)
Or I could try one of those other dual pullers that people keep posting pics of.

Last edited: