realistic VS unrealistic goals

GoldenMotor.com

Jim C

Jul 11, 2010
Long Beach Calif
As I continue this journey through the world of motorized bicycles the questions kep coming up. Will these things freewheel? I can barly roll the bike. With the clutch lever pulled to full stop there is much drag with the clutch in the pinned position there is almost no coast at all. I almost can't pedal the bike. The bike needs a litle pedal to get rolling and hits over 25 mph pretty easy. I would really like this thing to freewheel. I think the rolling resistance is way too high. The result is it is hard to start reduces top speed increases fule use. On the center stand with the clutch pulled in I can barly rotate the rear wheel. This bike always had a history of rolling free. I do understand the chain and sprockes will increase drag but I really think this is excessive. How free do yours roll? Any help? is it my clutch (I have never felt it was working right)

Jim C:-||

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
First, remove all the slack from your clutch cable man! The action in these clutches is very very small. Go for a ride with your needle-nose pliers, tighten your adjuster until it just starts slipping when engaged then back it off a half a turn or so, or until it bites good.

gl.

edit- don't try to adjust while riding(of course), stop to adjust anything :pP

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2010
Michigan
had the same issue at first but as stated the clutch cable was not tight enough and had to tighten it by pinning the clutch lever back to get the slack out. that was the reason for the drag..

if thats not your reason i would say you got your engine chain way to tight..

hope you figure it out

UCWT

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Yes- sounds like some kinda problem- But we still need a "locking freewheel" that disengages the chain with a lever, for an easier more natural pedal- there's one marketed in Australia, but last time I checked, you still have to dismount to engage and disengage-

As mostly having a cycling background, pedalling the big 415 chains is a drag- literally!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
As has been suggested, you need to tighten the clutch cable. Some will tell you to allow as much as 1/8" free play in the clutch actuator arm but I disagree with that. You don't need the cable bow string tight but there should be NO lost movement at the actuator when you squeeze the handle bar lever. Adjust for no slack then use the final adjustment at the handlebar to fine tune, or increase the tension until your rear wheel spins easily with the clutch disengaged.
Some clutch levers are poorly designed and some will not allow enough tension in the locked position. If that's the case then adjust as described above but go just a tad bit tighter. If there is any sign of clutch slippage then a new handlebar lever might be in your future; preferably one with a longer lever that will decrease clutch pull pressure. Good luck. Let us know how you do.
Tom

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
They should roll nice and free.
It could also just be dried grease in the motor on the shaft that goes from the drive sprocket to the clutch plate. Did you have to break your clutch free to get it working?

Also, are you sure it's the clutch?
That Moon Dog I just built didn't want to roll free but I knew it wasn't the clutch and it turned out to be a V-brake.

On another bike it was the front hub of all things.

And easy way to tell is get your drive chain sides master link to the rear sprocket and pop it out. Tie the chain up out of the way (without adjust anything like the wheel position or anything) and see how it free wheels.

If it does, time to grease that motor clutch shaft and the clutch pads.
If not, well, it is just troubleshooting the bike ;-}

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Once set up right, a motorized bike will roll as freely as a non-motorized ike, just keep making small adjustments until it is right.

Jim C

Jul 11, 2010
Long Beach Calif
Bikeguyjoe just said what I wanted to hear "roll as freely as a non-motorized bike. But it don't I thank all you guys for the clutch advise but I have done all that in the past. more than once. It seems as though it is getting better with time. The motor is running good I can pull away from a stop with out helping it. I still do help it. I can feather the clutch to make low speed corners easier (strong pull no lugging) And I can slip the clutch when needed. I just feel this thing should roll eaiser. I do not have access to other bikes to compare. Just to frustrate me a little more I have had two rear tires flats in three days.

Jim C

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
Jim, yeah, it should roll like a regular bike with an extra 20lbs. strapped to it. with the motor off and the clutch lever pulled, the only drag would be from the motor chain, and that shouldn't be much. with the added weight, it'll always be heavier than a regular bike, so that'll add a little more effort, but it should be totally ride-able.

the offer's still open if you want to drop it off with me for a day or so and i'll go through it and figure it out. you shouldn't be having this much trouble with it. just give me a call or send me a message...

Jim C

Jul 11, 2010
Long Beach Calif
I have made considerable progress on this thing. I want to express my thanks to this forum and to all the people so willing to help. If it was not for the help I got here I would have sent the whole motor back by now. I also want to thank Baird for his hands on help in the initial start up. I will call and talk with you again. I have messed around more and more and it gets better each time. I would like to see a time when we all see these bikes everywhere we go. The only way to make that happen is to help each other and share our information. Thanks to this forum.

Jim C

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
You "grease" your clutch pads? Hmmmmm. I don't think that's a good idea.
Tom
Indeed I do put a little smear of grease on top of all those little clutch pads when I do the bearings.

Between the dimples on the pressure plate and shear release force I have no slippage issues, I just have no 'engage and jerk' issues as it tends to make it smooth and easier to feather if I need it.

(shrug) I am always looking for the 'best way', that is why I am here, but tend to do what works for me ;-}

I am out of ideas for you though Jim, just share what was wrong when you find it as I am sure many other will find it useful.

noco

Sep 9, 2009
fort collins colorado
well i built one bike with 410 chain....there was much less rolling resistance....wouldnt recomend 410 chain though as i almost lost my mind aligning it....

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
well i built one bike with 410 chain....there was much less rolling resistance....wouldnt recomend 410 chain though as i almost lost my mind aligning it....
I love 410 HD Z chain.

Sure, you have to get it aligned like any chain, but it is more forgiving if you are off a bit, hence adjust the wheel a tad to not rub on the chain.

Jim C

Jul 11, 2010
Long Beach Calif
Listen guys I may be old but not stupid. The chain is not hitting the tire in fact I reversed the sporcket to prevent that. The tube was punctured on the rim side not the road side or side side (whatever) I did not find a sharpie in the rim but did use a new rim liner. In all my years of motorcycling I have never greased a dry clutch and greasing a wet one would be stupid and I have already said I wasn't stupid.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Grease on the clutch pucks...WHAT............! I just got a little too much on the gear of my first build and some of it slung and got a very small amount on my pucks and I could hardly even get the thing started because it slipped so much, I had too tear it all down and degrease that thing and now after over 750 miles its not needed anything since.

DO NOT PUT GREASE ON CLUTCH PUCKS ANYONE.......TROUBLE TROUBLE TROUBLE...LOL