Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Electric Bicycle Forum > Electric Bicycles, Trikes and Recumbent Bicycles

Electric Bicycles, Trikes and Recumbent Bicycles Electric bicycles are quiet and efficient form of transportation for general commuting.

Old 08-29-2010, 01:33 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default FireBelly Flyer!

Ok, so I want an e bike that does reasonable speeds i.e. 35-40 (45-50?).

I figure I want at least a 1000W. If I go w/ a 48V 30Ah system I should have a reasonable range. I want to have 2 BatPacks each 48V 15Ah. This way I can ride light (15-20lb bat) for short distances and load up (30-40lb bat) for longer.

I've found a source for the bats (LiFeP04) and I've inquired about price. They want to know all the specifics (max discharge, peak etc) in order to design a proper bms.

So the ?'s begin.

Who to get the Motor from? Magura sells throttles are they what I want (I do want a throttle)?

I get the specs they're asking for but I've not found the perfect motor and controller and I'm trying to get an idea of how much $ I'm into it to do what I want.

Cheers! any input is appreciated!

Email Support@FireBellyCycles.com

www.FireBellyCycles.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kNGVCnjJVs

Last edited by tyrslider; 08-29-2010 at 01:51 AM.
Old 08-29-2010, 02:25 AM
The Boy Who Never Grew Up

Default Re: FireBelly Flyer!

Don't know anything about it, but there are people here who do... Thud for one. This is a new direction for you. I know that when I saw Thud's bikes at the Ohio race last June I had my eyes opened up to what electrics can do in terms of speed. Pretty awesome. They have come a long way in a short stretch of time. I'd PM Thud as he knows an awful lot about this and has designed a two speed transmission, a Lexon (don't know how to spell that... the clear plastic like stuff that is really strong) drive sprocket and is cutting edge.
SB
Old 08-29-2010, 07:57 AM

First of all , those aren't reasonable speeds for a bike. You'll need some light motor bike suspension and matching tires (what if you hit pot hole with that speed?)and rims and a frame which can do the job (like mountain bikes). Not to mention brakes. Second , 1000 W isn't enough for those speeds , more like 2500 W or 3000 W(or even more), because of air resistance (it grows exponentially with speed). At 48 V , you get 1000 W using ~ 20 A continuous, so your motor(and controller) must be capable to withstand at least three times that (Amp wise). Permanent magnet, in wheel motors can do that (Crystalyte comes to mind , series 53xx , or 54xx), other kinds too , but less eficient (less range, more heat). Controller could be some Kelly (depending of what you want), certainly not some RC cheap toy.
There are formulas for calculation of all these parameters(like air resistance) on Endless-sphere forum (link isn't at hand), but you should really do some more research to get idea how to achieve what you want.
Mind you , 15 AH wouldn't get you very far with that kind of setup (juice consumption) , even on the flat ground (20 - 25 miles?) and the "throttle" is the last thing on your shopping list. $ wise (without battery packs) , around 1000 , give or take few hundreds (check the Kelly site and Crystalyte and you'll need some more fuses , switches and, probably , cyclo-comp gadgets ). Good luck !
Old 08-29-2010, 01:50 PM

Thanks Guys,

I'll be back w/ more ?'s shortly!

Cheers!

P.S. Will pm Thud and am checking out some co's zabac mentioned!

www.FireBellyCycles.com

Old 08-29-2010, 06:19 PM

Sorry to be a wet blanket, but I agree that 40mph is neither safe nor comfortable on a bicycle (for most of us). Bicycle tires and brakes will not hold up at that velocity.
If you are determined to build a bike that will do those speeds, it will be far cheaper to do that with a gas motor from a small motorcycle.
Old 08-29-2010, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelbender6 View Post
Sorry to be a wet blanket, but I agree that 40mph is neither safe nor comfortable on a bicycle (for most of us). Bicycle tires and brakes will not hold up at that velocity.
If you are determined to build a bike that will do those speeds, it will be far cheaper to do that with a gas motor from a small motorcycle.
1. I comfortably ride at 40ish often and quite safely. HuckerSteves 70cc shifter does 45+ when he rides w/ the Mosquito Fleet on Moped Monday rides; He's got 1000's of miles on the same tyres and brakes.

2. "Top Shelf" (and even much of the cheap $#!t) Bicycle tyres and brakes Do hold up at those velocities.

3. I'm not looking for cheap, and actually I think your still not entirely correct when the 5000 recharge cycles of the LiFeP04 bat's are taken into consideration.

4. Your not a wet blanket! I get it, we're not advocating riding illegally or in an inherently unsafe manner. This bike will be entirelly legal and safe (w/in reason).

I've not decided what platform I'm going to use but it will be a stout set-up w/ excellent brakes, tyres and componentry; likely full suspension.

W/ that out of the way I'd like to focus on the legistics of making this build a reality. I'm curious about spec'ing out the the components of the system.

They're asking me what kind of max discharge I need when they advertise cells w/ a 3C to 5C rating!
W/ my 48V 30Ah bat's that's up to 150A and 7200W so, I assume, they build a bms that'll control the max output to w/ in the motor's specs? Also they want to know how fast of a charger I want, what are the pro's and con's of fast vs slow in LiFeP04's? Or is it just charger expense?

Cheers! Evan

www.FireBellyCycles.com

Last edited by tyrslider; 08-29-2010 at 11:50 PM.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:18 AM

Check this https://endless-sphere.com/forums/vi...php?f=6&t=8446
That guy (and his partner) can provide you with lot of stuff and advice too. His bike can go over 100 kph , so look for the spec's on that thread (and his other threads - such as "albino project").
Old 08-30-2010, 06:57 AM

Like others here, I get nervous when someone proposes a high speed ebike, because when an innocent bystander gets killed there will be a whole slew of new regs on ebikes and they WILL be enforced. However, if you are interested in speed, go over to Endless-sphere. That forum has lots of builders using high-powered RC motors and LiPo high C batts - jd
Old 09-01-2010, 09:25 PM

Thanks guys!

I'll check it all out.

The bike will likely be liscensed as a motorcycle, though I could certainly fly under the radar w/ it. I've ridden down hwy 99 @ 40mph on my gas bikes and the Fuzz pay no mind. I wear a DOT halfshell, gloves, pants, and a good pair of shoes almost always and I obey posted speed limits, traffic laws etc.

Thanks for the help! Cheers! Evan

www.FireBellyCycles.com

Old 09-07-2010, 02:51 AM

tyrslider: I believe going electric for the speeds you suggest will be very expensive. I have considered electric for our tandem so I can still fit the wife on it and still have my current gear and brake setup. EcoSpeed makes a setup that replaces the crank with there motor crank setup. This is available with a 1000watt motor. I have considered this because It allows you to power the bicycle on all the rear gears so you have better start up and hill climbing. I have also looked at the Phoenix system that uses a hub motor and is available in three windings and three different voltages. The good thing about electric is not needing to register and license where I live. The bad part is limited distance and the weight of batteries and of course more expense.

EcoSpeed, Worlds Best Electric Assist

Electric Bike Conversion Kits, Crystalyte Phoenix, RoadRunner, Sparrow Hub Motors