Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Cruiser Bicycles

Motorized Cruiser Bicycles The beach cruiser has always been great bicycles to motorize. They just look good with a motor. Use this section to share and discuss about motorizing this classic.

Huffy Nel Lusso - 1st build by a new guy

The beach cruiser has always been great bicycles to motorize. They just look good with a motor. Use this section to share and discuss about motorizing this classic.

Old 08-25-2010, 06:48 PM
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member

Default Huffy Nel Lusso - 1st build by a new guy

After watching motorized bikes in the campgrounds at Oshkosh for several years, I finally decided I had to build one of my own... Did some research, found this forum, opened up the purse strings and ordered some parts!

For a list of stuff I bough to build this bike, see this post later on in this thread.

I'm not the most disciplined when it comes to documenting my work, but I wanted to make this thread a decent description of things that tripped up a first-time bike builder. For you experienced guys, I'm sorry about the excessive prose but I'm hopeful it'll help someone down the road.

I ordered a 2010 Grubee Skyhawk 66cc kit from gasbike.net, mainly because they had a coupon that covered the shipping cost. Turns out they have a pretty good recent reputation as well - I was very happy with the service I got.

I settled on a Huffy Nel Lusso because I like the frame - the welded-in luggage rack was a big part of the decision. I've never been a big fan of coaster brakes anyway, and with the extra weight of the engine I just didn't feel comfortable with them in principle. I ordered a dual-pull brake handle from SickBikeParts.com. With my left hand working the clutch, my right hand will have to handle the braking chores and this way I can get both brakes working. Should have no trouble stopping...

The Huffy cruiser frames have the right sized seat tube for the rear engine mount, but the downtube is oversized and slightly oval where the front mount will have to go. I ordered the universal front mount kit from SickBikeParts.com, and it looks like it will work well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nel-Lusso-Bike.jpg
Views:	810
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	28425   Click image for larger version

Name:	P8223557.JPG
Views:	549
Size:	403.2 KB
ID:	28426   Click image for larger version

Name:	P8223558.JPG
Views:	456
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	28427   Click image for larger version

Name:	P8253559.JPG
Views:	414
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	29181   Click image for larger version

Name:	Finished.JPG
Views:	1169
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	29186  

Last edited by Three-Wire; 09-20-2010 at 06:36 AM. Reason: Updated
Old 08-25-2010, 07:01 PM

Default Step one...

First step was to lube the bearings in the bike. I made a point of getting an un-assembled bike so that I could build it up the way I wanted it without having to disassemble the whole thing first. Now I dont' know a heck of a lot about bicycles, so I've found some pretty good tutorials online that go into great detail about overhauling various parts of the bike. My current favorite is AtomicZombie.com, but the Park Tools website has great maintenance tutorials as well.

My bike had very minimal lubrication on ALL the bearings... The headset bearings and the crank bearings were easy - they were also only lightly oiled on installation and really needed some more grease.

The rear hub felt ok but after seeing what was inside the headset I decided to tear it down as well. It was well lubed, but both bearings on the sprocket side were dry. Took a few tries to get it back together but once you figure out what order the parts get installed things fall into place nicely.

The front hub was my first real hiccup...
Old 08-25-2010, 07:20 PM

Default Front hub

My front hub was very "crunchy" and tight out of the box, practically screaming for some lube. Word of caution for the next new guy, you NEED a 13mm cone wrench for this...

Park Tool Website

I didn't have one and decided to try anyway. I could not get the lock nuts loose from the cones and mangled one of the dust covers in the process... I don't think the dust cover is critical for holding things together but it does protect the balls from the outside world so it's important. My local bike shops all tell me it's okay to ride the bike in its current condition but I'm not too sure.

Regardless, I can't get parts locally. The local shops all plead ignorance of these "cheap bike parts" and none were willing to install a new brand-name hub or order a new wheel. Huffy claims to have all parts you might need, just a phone call away - so I called them. The don't sell component parts, only components. So I can't get the dust cover from them, but they will sell you a front wheel assembly... Except they're out of stock for the next 4-6 weeks.

In the mean time, I'm going to work on the brakes, fender reinforcement, and engine mounting. I'd like to paint the tank and some of the components too...

I guess a set of new wheels is on my list... Anyone have experience with the pair from Custom Motorized Bicycles?
Custom Motored Bicycles - WHEELS HEAVY DUTY BICYCLE
Or these from Amazon?
Amazon.com: Wheel Master Rear Bicycle Wheel 26 x 2.125 36H, Steel, Bolt On CB, Silver: Sports & Outdoors
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P8253560.JPG
Views:	251
Size:	470.1 KB
ID:	28429  

Last edited by Three-Wire; 08-25-2010 at 07:25 PM. Reason: add pic
Old 08-25-2010, 07:32 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: Huffy Nel Lusso - 1st build by a new guy

The wheels I have are basically the same as the wheel master set, made in USA (out of Chinese parts) and they've held up really well to a lot of abuse. I picked up mine at my local bike shop, just asked for a 26" coaster brake wheel and those are all they stock.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:14 PM

I like that welded cargo rack too. I had an idea- to support my cargo rack by bolting supports into the rear canti brake mounts, rather than the rear wheel dropouts. It would look similar to yours but require no welding.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:11 PM

Wheels: Husky Bicycles
Old 08-26-2010, 06:57 AM

Thanks for the feedback about wheels! I like the looks of the Husky's with 11ga spokes... Haven't made a decision yet.

Here's where it sits this morning - I got the engine, carb, and exhaust mounted up last night for a fit check. The air filter has just enough give to it to flex away from the seat tube, but rides the tube pretty hard. I'm tempted t just leave it, since I'm not sure I could put a little bend into it without destroying the part or restricting the airflow. There's always the aftermarket option - offset intake manifolds...

Piston Bikes Offset Manifold

Engine mounting is solid with the universal front mount from SickBikeParts.com, so I think I'll leave it mounted the way it is. I used scraps of an old intertube between the frame and engine mounts to cushion things - this makes engaging the rear mount nuts a bit tricky. Hopefully the reduction in vibration will be worth it.

The crank hits the muffler a little bit. This new Grubee kit has some sort of heat shield on the front side of the muffler and that's what's rubbing, but I don't really want to remove it. Options are a new wider crank or some slight exhaust modifications. I'm leaning towards "reshaping" the exhaust manifold...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P8263561.JPG
Views:	1124
Size:	418.4 KB
ID:	28459   Click image for larger version

Name:	P8263563.JPG
Views:	416
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	28461   Click image for larger version

Name:	P8263566.JPG
Views:	430
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	28463   Click image for larger version

Name:	P8263568.JPG
Views:	393
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	28464   Click image for larger version

Name:	P8263569.JPG
Views:	374
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	28465  

Last edited by Three-Wire; 09-19-2010 at 09:24 PM.
Old 08-26-2010, 07:12 AM

Just bend it ! Take it off the bike first though. Looks like you only need to bend it out away from the engine a touch.

Huffy Tip : Their seats look cool for about a week then start falling apart. Get a new one coming ! Also the peddles fall apart too.

I would remove the rubber between your frame and mount too. It will just lead to problems.

Where is your coaster brake arm ? Looks like its not even on there or hiding very good.

Last edited by r00t4rd3d; 08-26-2010 at 07:20 AM.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:43 AM

Thanks for the thread, I'll be building up one soon and all this information is helpful!
Old 08-26-2010, 09:58 AM

you must have the coaster brake arm,,,,and you will get more power too the rear wheel if you use the chain

lol