Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 08-22-2010, 12:33 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: Frame shape

Found that my new bike that I bought from ebay is faulty. The retaining nut/locking nut on the left hand side of the crank to keep it tight has a stripped thread. I noticed it had fallen off loose on my first ride. Tried to screw it back on by hand but the dam thing just screws up to about the pressure of like 1NM then strips around absolutely farkin spewin I steered away from buying a second hand bike from ebay for the very reason of maybe picking up a lemon. DOHHHHHHH!!!!!!!
-> Reading this signature was pointless <-
Old 08-22-2010, 03:52 PM
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member
Default Re: Frame shape

So get another nut; it's just not a big deal. Make sure it's good and tight. Don't pedal the thing without the cranks firmly fastened, or you can wallow out the square hole in the crank arm.

As for your earlier comment about using the stronger brake on the rear, remember that due to forward weight shift when braking, the rear wheel skids MUCH more easily than the front. You can get about three times as much braking on the front wheel before your bike will begin to tip up, than you can get on the rear wheel before it skids.

Just about every time I have seen someone go over the bars from braking with the front, it was not from excessive braking force. It was from them flopping forward into the bars like a ragdoll and turning the bike over in the process. When braking hard, just push back against the bars as hard as necessary to hold yourself in place, and you won't do that.
"When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race."
H.G. Wells