Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 08-01-2010, 11:31 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Badge removal/installation

I want take the badges off for restoration and don't want to trash them in the process. On my first Schwinn it had tiny brass screws but my other bikes have rivets.
Old 08-01-2010, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator
Default Re: Badge removal/installation

Carefully, very carefully drill the rivet heads off. Don't rush the job and use a drill bit about half the diameter of the rivet head. A center punch will make it easier to center the drill on the rivet head. Most of the time the head will pop off when the drill goes through it then a small punch can be used to drive the rivet out. It is important to use a drill bit smaller than the head. The shank of the rivet will be about half the diameter of the head as a rule. Good luck. Let us know how you do.
Age and Treachery Will Always Triumph
Over Youth and Skill & "Charlie Don't Ride"

Last edited by 2door; 08-01-2010 at 08:58 PM.
Old 08-01-2010, 03:46 PM
a guy who makes cool bikes
Default Re: Badge removal/installation

if you take the forks and stem out, sometimes you can see the rivets inside the head tube. i've used a screwdriver to push them out enough where you can grab them with some vice grips without touching the badge.

i've also taken a flat bladed knife and very, very carefully stuck it behind the badge and worked them out. it depends on how tight they are. if they don't move, give up on this method. you'll rip the badge. but most of them come out pretty easy.

you can buy new pound-in rivets from a good hardware place, like an industrial fastener shop for about 10cents each. or if you're lucky, you can get them out and reuse them.