Badge removal/installation

GoldenMotor.com

ruppster

Mar 3, 2010
maine
I want take the badges off for restoration and don't want to trash them in the process. On my first Schwinn it had tiny brass screws but my other bikes have rivets.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Carefully, very carefully drill the rivet heads off. Don't rush the job and use a drill bit about half the diameter of the rivet head. A center punch will make it easier to center the drill on the rivet head. Most of the time the head will pop off when the drill goes through it then a small punch can be used to drive the rivet out. It is important to use a drill bit smaller than the head. The shank of the rivet will be about half the diameter of the head as a rule. Good luck. Let us know how you do.
Tom

Last edited:

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
if you take the forks and stem out, sometimes you can see the rivets inside the head tube. i've used a screwdriver to push them out enough where you can grab them with some vice grips without touching the badge.

i've also taken a flat bladed knife and very, very carefully stuck it behind the badge and worked them out. it depends on how tight they are. if they don't move, give up on this method. you'll rip the badge. but most of them come out pretty easy.

you can buy new pound-in rivets from a good hardware place, like an industrial fastener shop for about 10cents each. or if you're lucky, you can get them out and reuse them.