Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 08-01-2010, 08:25 PM
Resident Mad Scientist
Default Re: Identifying a jc higgins

Originally Posted by ruppster View Post
I snapped a couple of pictures lets see if they loaded properly. I have to say that I'm loving the lines of the frame. The petcock placement might be problematic though. I'm thinking a reversed cylinder would work nice with the low spot of the tank. The fenders are pretty beat and I really want to salvage the replace the rear reflector. Any ideas? Bairdco I'm counting on you to come up with something for me. I almost forgot! Thanks for the replies you guys rock.
Bairdco will likely know more than I, he's been here longer I believe, but I may be able to tell you something. I've spent a few hours online trying to learn more about my own Higgins. The handlebar stem looks a lot like mine. The rest of the bike, not so much. I would look along the top tube for evidence of a tank, I don't see that frame style too much in pictures without one. I would also look at the front fender for evidence of holes for a headlight mount. Try to see if you can find out what the original paint looked like. The onle other thing I can tell you is: online research. I'm still learning too.

"There is nothing wrong with wanting a motorbike that is an extension of your personal taste and fashion sense; if you must ride somewhere, I say do it with style!"
Old 08-01-2010, 10:44 PM
a guy who makes cool bikes
Default Re: Identifying a jc higgins

the front coaster brake is an exercise in futility. it looks cool, but it's not very functional. you need a lot more leverage than the average brake lever will allow, and i don't want a giant motorcycle lever on my bike.

there's a few guys over at who've made them, and there's a post here, too, but the idea comes from New Departure, a bearing and hub maker from 1890's or so to 1950's.

they made a front brake based on a coaster hub, but they stepped up the action with a finer threaded worm gear.

they show up on ebay now and then for about 3-500 bucks for a NOS one.