Paint or Powder Coat?

GoldenMotor.com

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
A powder coat is a beautiful finish that's hard & durable...

A spray finish w/hardener and a good gun is almost as fine...

Yet... I ride so much and so often that both the above seems a bit of a waste (unless you own the equipment or "know a guy") as no matter the coating I'm just gonna mess it up, scuffs scars & scrapes are part of the game unless you've a trailer/show queen that never gets ridden lol, my rides (one powder coated, one spray bombed) both could stand a repaint every season heh

So I rattlecan *shrug* still - if you've the cash/resources, defo powdercoat... but no matter what it's gonna get that "used" look if ya use it :p

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Since the bike I built has so many gnarly welds a surface imperfections. I was going to paint it with truck bed liner paint. I hear they do a multitude of colors these days. + That stuff is really tough. Yet nothing like a quality done well sought after paint job. Getting a place to shoot my frame will be cost effective for me I think. Just another thought boss.

Patr1ck

Apr 15, 2010
Tempe, AZ
Since the bike I built has so many gnarly welds a surface imperfections. I was going to paint it with truck bed liner paint. I hear they do a multitude of colors these days. + That stuff is really tough. Yet nothing like a quality done well sought after paint job. Getting a place to shoot my frame will be cost effective for me I think. Just another thought boss.
That would be a really good vibration and noise reducer. Nice idea.

Pat

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I had not thought of it that way. Anything helps! I don't think it will quite thing down that much. Got me thinking though. Was gonna say if one goes this route. Do tape off the threaded area at the bottom bracket etc [cranks]. Those fine threads can get buggered up very easy!

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
depending on how harsh the grit is on the bed liner paint, it might be a good way to lose skin and rip through clothes.

a buddy of mine worked at rhino-liner in the early 90's and had an old 70's Mazda RX-3 he used to autocross. the interior was gutted and he sprayed it all with rhino-liner. he had to tape cardboard over the inside of the door because his elbow was wearing down...

next bike i do i'm gonna powder coat it. there's ads here on Craigs for 55 bucks for a frame and fork. i've spent days stripping bikes, and more days painting them. i think the last bike i did probably cost me over $100 in paint, primer, tape, sandpaper, 3M finishing wheels, clear-coat, aircraft remover, denatured alcohol, rags...etc.

and the gas still eats the paint.

h0tr0d

Mar 23, 2008
I have my frame, springer, mounts , motor cover, and a bunch of other stuff power coated.
Now when fuel drips on it all weekend without me noticing, I just wipe it off and fix the leak instead of scraping off wrinkled up layers of paint and primer.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Pros & Cons
Paint...more prone to chipping and being effected by gasoline
Powdercoat...very difficult to touch up nicks, if you get them.
Paint...unlimited colors to choose from
Powdercoat...basic colors with few options except metallics available from the speciality guys.
Piant...Lots of prep work for a good finish. The more prep, the better the finish.
Powder coat...finish is only as good as the bare metal looks. Won't allow body fillers (bondo) to fillet seams and welds.
Paint... Easily removed or painted if you change your mind about colors later
Powder Coat...You'd better be satisfied with your color choice. Very hard to remove and doesn't take to over painting well.
Paint...Cheaper depending on how much prep work/ materials you use.
Powder Coat...Look for a reputable coater and check his work before you commit. Some do only commercial work, like lawn furniture, and they aren't as particular about results. Custom car/hot rod parts coaters know what a good finish is and will provide it.
Just food for thought based on experience.
Tom

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
We used to powder coat all are racing chassis. No matter how hard we beat them up at the end of the season they looked good as new.

Weyant

Jul 29, 2010
Germany
I know a lot of people do a powdercoat and throw a pearl paint over it for affect. All in how much you want to spend!!