align the tensioner's axle

GoldenMotor.com

jawbreaker

Jun 30, 2010
vancouver, B.C.Canada
As the bike's rear suport is a V and not in line with the wheel. mounting the tensioner on it will cause the rotation of the tensioner's wheel at an angle to the wheel. I cut the mount a third in on both side and give it a twist so the axle of the tensioner's wheel is the same as the wheel. Then bring it to my local body shop and pay the guy 5$ to have it weld back strong. I have him weld the bolts on inside bracket too so now if I need to reposition the tensioner, I need only one wrench. I also weld a washer where the tensioner's axle go through so it cannot slide down. It really improve the vibration I get from the chain.

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Like Joe said; there's no need to cut and weld the bracket. It can be twisted easily in a bench vice and big Crescent wrench. The other thing to keep in mind is securing the bracket to the frame so it can not loosen and rotate into the spokes. Many before you have learned the hard way that no matter how tight you wrench on the tensioner bolts it can still work loose and cause you big, expensive and sometimes dangerous problems.
Read the threads on tensioner brackets. There's lots of good ideas and information about them here. Use Google search, key word, 'tensioner'
Tom

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
The washer stopping the idler adlustment needs removed and/or a piece of flat steel w/a hole drilled for the tentioner axle and extend it past the (upper) seat stay then secured with a clamp of some sort

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
The chain tensioner that comes with these kits are for the most part bogus. Just shorten the chain! Or is that to logical?
Unfortunately Tim on some bikes you have no option but to run the tensioner. I have one tensioer that is the non-bearing type and has well over 10,000 miles on it. When the tensioner is installed correctly it can last for ever and give you no problems.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I have yet to have a problem with a tensioner wearing out or falling off, even the non-bearing type.

You guys do know that nylon is a great bearing surface. Just run it for a few miles to loosen it up, then use some light oil and even the one's without a "bearing" will last.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I try my best not to use tensioners, but first thing you need is a tensioner to stretch the chain so you don't need a tensioner. But like Joe, Tom, Fair and Corgi said, ya can make em work. I bend em in to place, in place. After synching em down, I bend em with a wrench rite on the chain stay. And/or beat em with a small sledge. But I have issues. snork