Huffy Santa Fe Motorized Bicycle

GoldenMotor.com

FreeWheeler

Jun 22, 2010
Maryland
Used the wait time to look over everything again. I realized I had the wrong spring on the clutch arm, so I swapped that and got it right. Kept reading about tight clutch and mine was like butter because the spring was wrong and cable adjusted wrong. Now it works firm, but it releases and is adjusted so the locking lever will allow it to sit and idle hands off. I also took some JBWeld and a zip tie, pulled it all the way snug and attached it to the front of the throttle mechanism. Did this because the cable kept popping out of the socket. I tried adjusting the angle on the tube and nothing worked until this little fix. The mechanism works great now that it dried, snaps right back to idle position and full travel.

It shouldnt be long for the master link and 1/2 link, but still a wait. I'm hoping I can get away without using the tensioner. I've read too many horror stories. I used 2 washers to shove the hub over a hair and playing with the chain, it looks like I will have enough clearance.

FreeWheeler

Jun 22, 2010
Maryland
SBP to the rescue!! Amazing fast, links came in the mail today. I was 1/2 link off. Mixed up some homelite and gas, filled er up and it wouldnt start. I went inside to cool off and then tried it again and it fired right up. I know there are still some problems ahead with the rear wheel, but it runs. I put about 4 miles on it and noticed the rear hub is loose again.

FreeWheeler

Jun 22, 2010
Maryland
Looking great FreeWheeler (^)

.bld.
Thanks alot. I havent wandered too far with it yet, but it runs a little better each run. I go for about 3 miles(measured GPS) and park it and inspect it, cool down, go again.

I found a good tutorial on hubs and repacked the bearings today and gave in to using the tensioner. The chain loosened up so much, that it was necessary. It started rubbing and I smelled burning rubber and figured a blowout was the next surprise.

Here's what I studied to finally get the hub tight:

Overhauling a Coaster Brake Bike

FreeWheeler

Jun 22, 2010
Maryland
I'm still not really done with the build. I have a few problems now. The first was that I read(venicemotorbikes ???) suggestion about coaster brakes needing a ton of bearing grease, never can use too much, words to that effect. He might be right on the money, but the result is bearing grease flying all over the place, like the white walls. I dont know what will get that off.

To fix the splatter, I wiped off the excess oozing out of the hub and made something out of string. The coaster brake arm and dust cap dont move, but trimming it allows it to ooze so I wrapped ordinary string around the cap until it covered the gaps. I dont know if it will stop the splatter, but I'm giving it a try. It seems better, but time will tell.

FreeWheeler

Jun 22, 2010
Maryland
I'm fixing the little problems that pop up.

Bearing grease on whitewalls is solved with the string wrap over the dustcap, barely visible have to really look. WD-40 cleaned grease right off the whitewalls.

I had fuel flow problems because the tank cap didnt vent, so I cut 2 notches out of the cap gasket. Tank vents now.

The next problem is getting the idle lower. The idle screw doesnt seem to do anything at all, but throttle travel is full.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Your fun is just beginning! A motorized bicycle requires more frequent maintenance than a pedal powered bicycle. Soon you will be a coaster brake master builder.
Don't forget to clean and lube the front wheel bearings too.
The crank and neck bearings need love as well, just not as frequent as the wheel bearings.

As for your idling issues: remove the air cleaner and remove the idle speed adjusting screw. Look down the throat of the carburetor while twisting and releasing the throttle. You should see and hear the carburetor slide hit the bottom of the carburetor throat. I am a bit leery of the JB weld repair you had to to throttle and you might have throttle cable problems preventing the carburetor slide from closing completely.
The only other thing that may be causing a high idle speed is an intake leak or a horrible crankshaft seal leak. I do not recommend on inspecting the crankshaft seals yet though. That is digging in deep and sorta putting the cart in front of the horse so to speak.

FYI an excellent bicycle maintenance site is Sheldon Brown's (RIP) site:
Sheldon Brown-Bicycle Technical Information

He was a guru on darned near all things bicycle related and then some.

FreeWheeler

Jun 22, 2010
Maryland
Vacuum leak!! Before I suspected that, I had a problem with the choke lever vibrating and moving into the full choke position. I took about a 1/2 inch section of fuel tubing and slid it over the choke lever and it seems to give enough friction to hold the lever where it is put.

Now, here's why I suspect a vacuum leak. I looked at the head from the side and I can see daylight/studs. It idles like when it was fresh out of the box when I put it on partial choke. Am I guessing right?

FreeWheeler

Jun 22, 2010
Maryland
Something went pop. I looked at the head and there's black oil on the cooling fin like it was sprayed from the cyclinder, no power and an awful air compressor like sound.

Now What?

FreeWheeler

Jun 22, 2010
Maryland
GearNut, that would be easy enough to replace but I pulled the head and it was cracked. The crack starts in the combustion chamber and goes clear across the cooling fin. What the heck?

FreeWheeler

Jun 22, 2010
Maryland
I'll see what THATSDAX has to offer in the satisfaction department. He's reputable, stands behind his product. I'll see what he can do.

FreeWheeler

Jun 22, 2010
Maryland
The only other thing that may be causing a high idle speed is an intake leak or a horrible crankshaft seal leak. I do not recommend on inspecting the crankshaft seals yet though. That is digging in deep and sorta putting the cart in front of the horse so to speak.

Thinking back to the first few miles, I smelled burning rubber and thought it was the chain hitting the tire(it was), but the idle had gotten worse and when I roll it clutch pulled, I hear something.

I reinstalled the throttle at the carb and made sure the slide went on the right side. I listened and could hear the slide hitting bottom at full throttle. That could fix the fast idle and the idle screw goes in much further, but the burning rubber, runaway idle and binding sound...

Last edited:

FreeWheeler

Jun 22, 2010
Maryland
Working on the bike, preparing to ship back parts to Thatsdax.com and someone breaks the window in my garage door. I jump out and announce that I am calling the #$%^&* police.

Last edited: