Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 06-13-2010, 12:05 AM
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member

Default 2 vs. 4 Stroke...

Money not an object. Why would someone pick a 4 stroke over a 2 stroke? and vice versa? Don't 2 strokes make more power?
Old 06-13-2010, 12:41 AM
Motorized Bicycle Member

Default Re: 2 vs. 4 Stroke...

4 strokes generally cost more, last longer, are quieter, use less gas, pollute less, don't require oil mixed in the gas, make slightly less power per displacement, Have a broader torque curve, and foul plugs less.

I'd generally say that a 4 stroke is better in most ways. The exception is in maximum power, where a 2 stroke usually is a little bit better, weight, and cost.
Old 06-13-2010, 01:16 AM
Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles

There have been many threads on this subject...

I totally disagree with the above statement! (except for the fact that they cost more!)
2-stokes don't foul the plugs (if you mix your gas right), they last just as long (if you take proper care of them), they are just as quiet (they both have the exact same mufflers!!), there's zero smoke if you use synthetic oil mixed @ 100:1, they cost less, look better & fit in to more frames, they have far less parts to break, they are much faster!! (there's never been a 4-smoker that could keep up with us on our rides!!), more high performance parts for them & they get 90MPG even after totally hot rodding them!!!

4-strokes are heavier, co$t three times more, they are slower & have way less hill climbing power, they have ten times more parts that can break, require super wide pedal cranks to clear the engine, they have centrifugal clutches (that blow), they're ugly, (they look like you put a lawn mower engine on your bike), they only have pull starts (which break), & no one makes high performance parts for them!

2-strokes rule!!!

Follow VMB on facebook>>> facebook.com/VeniceMotorBikes

Follow VMB on Instagram>>> instagram.com/venicemotorbikes

Last edited by Venice Motor Bikes; 06-13-2010 at 01:41 AM.
Old 06-13-2010, 03:45 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Gezzz,,,I kinda get the impression that you don't like 4 strokes.
Old 06-13-2010, 07:36 AM
Godfather of Motorized Bicycles

[QUOTE=Venice Motor Bikes;189132]There have been many threads on this subject...

I totally disagree with the above statement! (except for the fact that they cost more!)
2-stokes don't foul the plugs (if you mix your gas right), they last just as long (if you take proper care of them), they are just as quiet (they both have the exact same mufflers!!), there's zero smoke if you use synthetic oil mixed @ 100:1, they cost less, look better & fit in to more frames, they have far less parts to break, they are much faster!! (there's never been a 4-smoker that could keep up with us on our rides!!), more high performance parts for them & they get 90MPG even after totally hot rodding them!!!

4-strokes are heavier, co$t three times more, they are slower & have way less hill climbing power, they have ten times more parts that can break, require super wide pedal cranks to clear the engine, they have centrifugal clutches (that blow), they're ugly, (they look like you put a lawn mower engine on your bike), they only have pull starts (which break), & no one makes high performance parts for them!

2-strokes rule!!! [/QUOTE

Thanks for saving me the typing.
Old 06-13-2010, 10:15 AM

that being said,,,
I love the smooth, vibration free feel of my 4stroke
bolts don't vibrate loose... or nuts either (mine) !!!

other than oil changes, mine is virtually maintenance free

Intelligence is learning from your own mistakes,
Wisdom is learning from the mistakes of others

EZ Motorbike Dealer - Fountain Hills, AZ
www.ezmotorbike.com
EZ Motorbike of Fountain Hills
azgrampa@gmail.com
Old 06-13-2010, 10:29 AM
Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted View Post
Gezzz,,,I kinda get the impression that you don't like 4 strokes.
When you read all my reasons; can't you see why?

Follow VMB on facebook>>> facebook.com/VeniceMotorBikes

Follow VMB on Instagram>>> instagram.com/venicemotorbikes
Old 06-13-2010, 10:32 AM

I havent seen any posts about 4 strokes turning into a grenade within the first 200 miles. Havent seen any posts about trying to get the 4 strokes running after building the kit bike. The two strokes are initially cheaper but after replacing the engine three or for times?
Old 06-13-2010, 11:18 AM
Godfather of Motorized Bicycles

I have never grenaded and engine, nor have I had to replace an engine or major component....or even a small component.
Old 06-13-2010, 11:23 AM
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member

i had a in frame 4 stroke with a centrifical clutch. i hatted it. no power! just as loud. cost more. heavier. bulky. even with a widder crank the peddles hit the motor. mine had just as much vibration. with half the power. top speed was about 20mph instead of 40mph. i can peddle faster then my four storke would go. forget about hills. mine was a chinese honda clone 49cc just like the one on the broped site. changing the oil ment you got oil all over the bike and you unless you remove the engine from the bike. 2 stroke forever!!