Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle Welcome Forum > Introduce Yourself

Introduce Yourself Meet & greet your fellow motorized bicyclists, make introductions and even find others in your area.

Old 11-22-2008, 09:03 AM
Custom MB Buiilder
Default Re: What a great forum

Snow blower, snow bl, OH yea! we have them here I like mine half grape, half cherry!
Oh never mind, that's Snow Cone's I was thinking of,
Only Bikers know why dogs love to stick their heads out of car windows,
Old 12-30-2008, 05:18 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie
Default Hows it goin*all yall!

Hows everyone doin Just came by to say whats up Im glad I found a cool forum that doesnt have constant flame wars lol. Besides hangin out here what does everyone do for fun and to pass by some time?
Old 12-30-2008, 05:20 PM
Godfather of Motorized Bicycles

How's it going?

Everyone here has varied and wide reaching interests.

How about you? Any motorized bikes in your future?
Old 02-20-2009, 07:03 PM
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member

Hey eDJ, I live in the southwest part of the buckeye state. Love to take motorcycle rides in your neck of the woods. I was raised in Lancaster not to far from the mothman city. I just joined the forum last week and have already got a boatload of info. Have you solved the lever problem yet?
Old 02-26-2009, 01:13 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Hey oldcliff,

Yeah, I'm working on a new drive wheel mod made from a skateboard wheel now. I may get
a bit more top end out of it when the season comes. I'm up an running now.

Time was in Ohio the state produced a "Blue Highways" motorcycle roads magazine about the
size of a comic book with maps of the state's best scenic secondary roads for bikers to ride.
The one closest to me is the road between Zanesville to Marietta along the Muskingum River.
In the summer it's one beautiful place thru there. (Google, Ohio's Muskingum River, and look at Wikipedia review of it) In Marietta there is the Ohio River Museum if you take that ride from
Zanesville to Marietta. You can take the tour of the W. P. Schnider which is a sternwheeler
that they give tours thru. Another sternwheeler there is the Becky Thatcher which is now a
theater boat. (I think Becky Thatcher was the girl Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn were sweet on
in Twains stories)

I don't think Ohio offers that publication any more and mine is packed away somewhere. I got it when
I was first riding as a teen. Ohio had this "Dial 1 800 Buckeye" campaign to promote tourism
back in those days. Folks used to just take that Bikers Blue Highways magazines and go for
Sunday drives in the car to see the lovely scenery. (blue highways, if you don't know, are the
secondary roads on a map)

I'm glad you came aboard here. This is one of the best places on the net. It could sure set
the bar for the rest IMO.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:54 PM

I have a "bike bug" out in the shed, not sure if it's the same as your but it looks close .
If you want I could have a look and trace it for you in the morning. If all it does is hold that tin can called a muffler, I may even give it to you. At most, if I ever use the thing, it will be for the motor.
I could take a pic, I'll get my coat on and do it now.
I Have the pics but I won't bother because it is just like yours for sure. It is just stamped steel with a dished curve running down the centre, giving it strength.
You want it?

Last edited by toytime; 02-26-2009 at 05:11 PM.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:13 PM

My outfit was sold by Sears as a "Free Spirit".

I didn't get it as a complete outfit but with the help I got here
have made most all of the missing parts. My present muffler is a lawn mower
muffler screwed into a brass 90 which is threaded to match the muffler
on one side and a 1/2" copper tube sweat solders into the other. (these
are used around washing machines for the bibs the rubber hoses connect
to) the copper tube runs up to the flex tubing off the exhaust. I found
a large 5 x 5" Stanley 90 degree bracket for reinforcing corners like of
screen doors that I drilled and bent for the muffler and tension adjustment
rod. I was able to get the whole thing running OK but here in Ohio 20
mph is all you're allowed with a motorized bike. I've thought of purchasing
another free spirit outfit, or aquabug/bikebug if I found one in fair condition.
Some of the bikes I would like to build would lend themself better to a front
friction drive for me.

At this time a "cargo bike" and a "vintage replica motorbike" are my objectives.
On the vintage, I'll use a Chinese motor kit.

Let me know what you're wanting to do with that Bike bug. OK
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BicyclePickup2b.jpg (49.8 KB, 44 views)
Old 04-02-2009, 08:57 PM

Since I've never posted photos of my Sears Free Spirit fricton drive motor and the bike
I've been using as a test platform for it I'll bump this old intro thread of mine to place
the photos here. Bear in mind that this is a 1 hp, 22cc, 30X30 b/s, 7.2:1 comp, 0.10 Kg-M
torque @ 5500 rpm motor which delivers 160 mpg/us gallon 2 cycle that runs 25:1 ratio.

The bike is an old Ross 10 speed 27" wheel that I picked up in a yard sale for $5 bucks and
invested $50 or so in to convert it to a 5 speed upright similar to a cruiser. I didn't go thru
with painting it in the resoration and I have a 26" Schwinn Girls bike which looks just like it
so if I have a date or girlfriend who wants to go riding then we're matched and she won't
feel like she's riding the second rate junker. (little social things status things like this
rate plesantly with the gurlz) When you look at them the only difference is the fact that one is
a mens Ross and the other a womans Schwinn but otherwise they are the same.

In these photo's you'll see the white plastic hood isn't installed over the motor for the sake of
those who are curious about one of these "Free Spirit's", BikeBug, AquaBug, or otherwise Tanaka
front wheel drive motors. I figure there may be a half dozen of us here who have had or presently own one of these. They are a straight foreward bolt on, adjust, and ride outfit. I personally consider it to be the "Rubik's Cube" of bicycle motors as it's built in layers or steps if you will,
and to tune it up and adjust the timing you have to completely dismantle it. Once the tuning
is perfect, then you put the thing together again making sure each step is perfect (otherwise if
you miss something you gotta go back and dismantle it again) Everything has to be right when
it goes back together so that when you start it the only adjustments left are the throttle/idle etc.

I don't get much speed out of this motor and would be lucky to hit 18 mph which is OK as
here in Ohio 20 mph is the legal limit. (but I've crafted a skateboard wheel which is larger
diameter to work in place of the original friction drive wheel and may be able to tweek 24+mph
out of it yet) The little motor isn't much more than a string trimmer motor but it is a quality
piece of work from Japan from the 1980's.

I know Toytime, DOC BLOM, and Bikeguy Joe are famaliar with them and probably some others
here too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ZzMBfront.jpg (97.7 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg ZzSeatview.jpg (78.4 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg ZzLSF.jpg (134.8 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg ZzRSF.jpg (111.6 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg ZzMBriver.jpg (68.0 KB, 33 views)
Old 04-02-2009, 09:59 PM
Super Moderator

Cool...Now when are you going to build an in-frame and a rack mount? Good to see pictures of your ride. Thanks for sharing. Nice looking machine.
Age and Treachery Will Always Triumph
Over Youth and Skill & "Charlie Don't Ride"
Old 04-02-2009, 11:19 PM

I would like to try to build that bicycle-pickup or cargo bike and use the Tanaka on it.

The inframe I have in mind will be a replica of a 1912 Norton I have a photo of. I'll have to stretch the frame and figure how to place the engine. I spend free time now shopping eBay for old springer front forks, old fenders, carbide carriage lights, and all the eye candy necessary to build a vintage replica out of.

Lately the last thing I got a wild hair to do was build that pusher trailer that would look like a tear drop trailer with a tent canvas top over the wagon. I already have a motor for that build. Just gotta get over to the scrap yard to see what's available in 1" square tubing and 3/4" rod
stock. I'd use the bike in the pictures above with the trailer. (can't legally use it here in Ohio though) Still I've been working with the calculator that Fair posted to find ratios and mph/rpm forecast. Looks like a 11 tooth centrifugal clutch and a minimum 80 tooth (8") gear for the drive shaft. (but 100+ would be better) The sprockets on the end of the drive and the wheels will be a 1:1. So, I'll have to go junkin on the scrap yard and see if I can find some old offroad go cart I could find that on. But I like rattin thru junk yards.

Obviously, I do alot of research before I go to the shop and bench. Ya know...."measure twice cut once".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BicyclePickup2b.jpg (49.8 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg 1912 Norton Motorcycle.jpg (53.1 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg Ztrailer4.jpg (24.0 KB, 29 views)

Last edited by eDJ; 04-03-2009 at 11:33 AM.