Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 06-09-2010, 09:28 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: Friction Drive Kit Questions

If the friction roller is made of mild steel it will wear fairly quickly especially in damp conditions when road grit sticks to the tire and you have slippage. Acts like sandpaper. I had the same problem with mine. I had a .7xx diameter roller and just happened to have a piece of 4130 chromo tubing that was a tight fit on my roller. I cut a 2" piece and drilled it and the roller and pinned them together. Took a dremel tool with a cutoff wheel and made lengthwise cuts in the tubing for traction and worked very well. the 4130 wears less than the mild steel. Hope this helps some.
I don't have a kit, mine is homemade so I cannot comment on your other problems except to say get the smoothest, higest pressure tire you can and run it pumped up hard.
All times wasted wots not spent ridin. Get a bicycle. You will not regret it. If you live. Mark Twain