Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle Mechanical Components > Lighting and Electrical

Lighting and Electrical Things that go ZOT! Ignition components, batteries, lighting and accessories

Old 05-29-2010, 02:52 AM
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member

Default Gutting the muffler and headlight, tail lights..

Theres this kid that I met today after getting off work.
He also owns a motorized bicycle and says that he gutted the muffler completly and hence that gives him more speed and torque. my question is, is that healthy for our China girls?
I mean if you think about it, that would be pretty much like an expansion chamber without the end...so it seemed plausible.

Finally, What about plugging a headlight onto the white wire of the engine?? I feel that is extra work for the magneto, but I do ALOT of riding at night and so its something I've been thinking about. And is it possible to also hook up a tail light as well?? I was thinking of plugging in the headlight and rigging a switch to it, that way it would only be on when I need it on, same with the tail light.

I hope someone can shed some light on this.

Thanks!
Old 05-29-2010, 11:07 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: Gutting the muffler and headlight, tail lights..

12 VOLTS MINI-GEN MAX For Motorized Bicycle Lighting - eBay (item 400108733087 end time Jun-09-10 22:17:08 PDT)
Old 05-29-2010, 11:12 AM
a guy who makes cool bikes

this forum's full of threads on all those subjects, just do some searching...

on the exhaust, if you gut the muffler, it's gonna sound like a nitro burning leaf blower, and will ostracize you from your neighbors, and it'll make it real easy for the cops to find you.

a lot of people will tell you these motors need back pressure to run well, so gutting it's not a good idea, which is true in theory, but it doesn't really seem to matter too much, going by the amount of people here that have done it.

i gutted mine, but added a Supertrapp universal, clamp on muffler. it's louder than stock, but not obnoxious, and added a boost, much like an expansion chamber.

in the end, it's up to you and how annoying you want your bike to sound,

as for the wires, there's a lot of info on that around, but i never tried it so i dunno.
Old 05-30-2010, 12:38 AM

the white wire will run both tail and head lights. However not when cold and you can tell when it takes from the spark of the motor! so I just run tail light from the white wire and rechargeable nite rider mini-minewt head lights. the tail light works good with the motor, either thru switch or direct. I have done both. seems to work good. use a 6volt 3 watt bulb for best results.
Old 05-30-2010, 12:46 AM

It seems that everyone has different opinions or power enhancing experiences from removing the baffle out of the muffler.
The best outcome I could see from doing it is a teeny bit more power and a whole lot more loud noise.
These bikes are having a hard enough time getting legal or staying legal in many states.
Do you believe that having a really loud one running around your neighborhood will make your neighbors approve of them and be supportive of making/ keeping them legal? Or do you believe that they would see them as a loud, obnoxious, dangerous toy that should be banned from the streets?

Does not come with a fortune cookie."
Old 05-30-2010, 12:16 PM

Thanks for all the information and advice. I really appreciate it. The kid runs his bike by my work place once in a while and it rlly doesn't sound much louder. Imma figure something out. Ill problable gut it and ad some extra muffler tubing and place a universal muffler on the end. Ill see how it goes. Thanks again.

And as for the headlight I'm just gonna run the headlight with the engine and a switch so it wnt b on when I dnt need it.

And as for my neighbors, they ALL love the bike. They think its great and looks like fun. Haven't had a
Single complaint from any of em.
Old 06-03-2010, 01:11 AM

Bairdco, where did you find the muffler at? I'm thinking of just gettin a muffler from a briggs and stratton at my local ace or menards...which ever one has it for cheap.
Old 06-03-2010, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearNut View Post
It seems that everyone has different opinions or power enhancing experiences from removing the baffle out of the muffler.
The best outcome I could see from doing it is a teeny bit more power and a whole lot more loud noise.
These bikes are having a hard enough time getting legal or staying legal in many states.
Do you believe that having a really loud one running around your neighborhood will make your neighbors approve of them and be supportive of making/ keeping them legal? Or do you believe that they would see them as a loud, obnoxious, dangerous toy that should be banned from the streets?
Removing it + removing the air filter allowed me to race a 48cc against a 66cc bike uphill (lost, but only by about 2 bike lengths on ~1/4 mile hill). The 48 was a year old (and badly maintained by the previous owner) and the 66 only had about 500 or so miles.

Though most 2-strokes seem to need a sufficient amount of back pressure, these don't seem to want it. That stupid loud black exhaust with the missing internals I've got seems to wake up whatever motor I put it on.

What would be a really nice thing to see would be a spring-loaded cap (with attached guts) hooked up to a steel cable and shift lever on the bars. Would be well worth the effort. Cruise the neighborhoods quiet-like but power down mainstreet and those middle-of-nowhere back roads.
Old 06-03-2010, 05:19 PM

Haha! Are you familiar with lakes pipes?
They are basically an exhaust with dual outlets. One goes to a muffler, for daily driving, and the other is just a straight pipe outlet. They use a plate that bolts over the straight outlet (dump) to block it off.

Does not come with a fortune cookie."

Last edited by GearNut; 06-03-2010 at 05:36 PM.
Old 06-03-2010, 06:14 PM
a guy who makes cool bikes

i got it from Summit Racing on Ebay. it's a Universal Muffler that attaches with a hose clamp. it comes with 12 silencing discs but that's for cars. i found it works best (for me) with only three discs.