Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Bicycle Motor > Motorized Bicycle Trouble Shooting

Motorized Bicycle Trouble Shooting Use this area to post problems that may arise, if you could use some help in figuring out what is wrong with your bicycle motor and what needs to be done to achieve top performance.

lack of speed with Chicken Motor

Use this area to post problems that may arise, if you could use some help in figuring out what is wrong with your bicycle motor and what needs to be done to achieve top performance.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:40 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member

Default lack of speed with Chicken Motor

I've got a vintage 60's Chicken Motor (front wheel friction drive). I've adjusted it to manual directions and it starts good and runs like a sewing machine. However, with a 140 lb. person on the bike, it might go 5mph. Also, the next day there is a fuel stain on the floor where fuel has dripped from the exhaust. A friend suggested I change the gas/oil ratio and oil type. Specs call for 24:1 with 30W oil and nothing else. Any suggestions appreciated.

Rick in Indiana
Old 05-25-2010, 10:00 AM
Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles

Default Re: lack of speed with Chicken Motor

Is the engine new, or used????
I would follow your friends advice & use 2-cycle oil!
Keep us posted.

Follow us on facebook... facebook.com/VeniceMotorBikes
Old 05-25-2010, 10:50 AM
The Boy Who Never Grew Up

I had one of those Chicken Power motors and could never get it to run. I did have a manual for it at one time and as I recall it was even less powerful than the Bikebug friction motor. It is also the only engine I've ever seen that came with a gas tank made at the factory from a tin can. That's what mine had and it had the Chicken Power decal on the tank. Seems to me it was made in Indiana onceupona. Yes, change the oil to 2 cycle. I bet opti 2 would give you some more oomph, but don't expect a lot from it. You have a cool antique there and on a 60's three speed it is just right! Post a pix if you can.
SB
Old 05-26-2010, 07:15 AM
Motorized Bicycle Member

Thanks for the input.

Yes, it is used.
What would be the ratio for the 2 cycle oil mix?
I've considered a Bike Bug as a replacement, but sounds like the performance on them is not so good either?
Alternative friction drive recommendations?
I like the Chicken retro look, but.....
I've tried attaching a photo unsuccessfully several times. I've never had any luck on this web site doing it. Sorry.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:08 AM
The Boy Who Never Grew Up

The ratio of oil depends on the manufacturer. I would follow their recommendations. I used to run bikebug motors with Amsoil Sabre professional at around 75-1. I now use Opti- 2 at 100-1 on my HT motors. Some 2 cycle oils use a much richer mix, so it depends on the manufacturer. Not all oils are the same. I don't remember how many CCs the chicken power motor is. The bikebug was around 26 cc's if I remember right. It just depends on what you want the motor for. If you like to pedal, but just want some help on hills or want to cruise along on flats in the mid teens then it is great and I would think the Chicken power motor would be fine. If you're into some speed, greater weight of bicycle and rider or have a trailer, then it might not be adequate. But a running Chicken power motor on a period bike is very cool. I've posted a photo I lifted from the Moped Army website and now recall that the little gas tank was not a food can, but something like a contact cement can with a fitting soldered into the bottom. Very low tech, but the motor seemed well made to me...
SB
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chknpwr011.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	24896