Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle Welcome Forum > Welcome to the World of Motorized Bicycles

Welcome to the World of Motorized Bicycles Forum announcements and instructions for posting on motorbicycling.com. To start a new thread choose the appropriate area. No new threads can be started in this area

Old 05-16-2010, 11:49 AM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

Question 2 or 4-stroke

hi my name is jarrett very new here and i only recently realized how attainable these bikes are and i was wondering if there is a reliability or power prefrence? i sorta figured it would be similar to a dirtbike. and as a simple question i will roughly be riding it 2 to 3 miles daily to campus... would a mountain bike or a cruiser be better? these bikes are fascinating and im very excited to build one.
any advice or help would be very appreciated thank you so much
Old 05-16-2010, 03:01 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: 2 or 4-stroke

jturn,
Personal preference should dictate your choice, I Have a beach cruiser, but I'm pushing 50, leaning over all the time is tough, However, front suspension is a good point too, as far as motors go, 2 strokes cost less, drink more $$(oil) are usually louder and (nobody shoot me here)less dependable, a 4 stroke friction drive is simplicity at it's finest, plenty of both types out there. Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Mac
Old 05-16-2010, 03:42 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

thanks mac!,
i was leaning a bit towards mountain on this first try. hopefully it goes well

thank you again sir.
Old 05-16-2010, 04:58 PM
Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor

It really is a personal choice.

First of all, there still isn't a 4 stroke engine that mounts to your frame. The two stroke bike engine was cast to fit a bike frame with built in clutch. Fit being a loose term seeing just how many types of bikes people around the world strapped the chicom girl too. And despite her earned reputation of grenading, the leetle beast can be made to be more reliable. The 4 stroke sits on a platform of some type.

You simply will get more power to the ground, quickly with a well tuned 2-stroke. Don't care what anyone says, a 4 stroke 49cc engine is not a crotch rocket. They do absolutely great for what they are, but then again no manual clutch built in is a bugger too. Some better gear box choices than there used to be for 4 stroke, but nothing fully mature.

Probably read the forums for a few months to get some better advice. I'm just rambling....
Old 06-21-2010, 04:32 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

I'm looking for a 4 stroke,I've had two 2 strokes from grubee,one junk(black stallion) one ok,(skyhawk)looking for info,name of brands what is good or bad etc,any info is appreciated,thanks
Old 06-21-2010, 04:58 PM
Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake nielson View Post
I'm looking for a 4 stroke,I've had two 2 strokes from grubee,one junk(black stallion) one ok,(skyhawk)looking for info,name of brands what is good or bad etc,any info is appreciated,thanks
As stated in above posts, personal preference is what it's all about. I own 2 & 4-strokes built on similar frames being aluminum beach cruisers and the 4-stroke gets my vote for overall performance and reliability. And by nature I am a two-stroke fan. My daily ride is an aluminum Ridgedale beach cruiser with a Huasheng 142F 49cc 4-stroke that is chain driven off the centrifugal clutched 4G t-belt tranny. This is what works for me and can't say enough good things about it...I love this bike! So I can definitely recommend the Grubee 4G HS 4-stroke kit set-up...I ride it everyday.
Nothing is out of my realm,
if it doesn't fit, make it fit! Beer is the answer....what was the question?
A sense of humor costs nothing, why don't people use them more often?
"You can't buy respect.....you have to earn it"
==================================================
Old 06-22-2010, 12:00 AM
Motorized Bicycle Member

My $.02 I had a HT 2 stroke. I will never own one again. If you are over 25, mixing the oil and the noise gets old after the second day.

4 stroke Honda 50 or Subaru 35 are the way to go.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:32 AM
Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles

I find it funny how people say that the 2-strokes are louder?? Both 2 & 4-strokes use the exact same muffler!

Follow VMB on facebook>>> facebook.com/VeniceMotorBikes

Follow VMB on Instagram>>> instagram.com/venicemotorbikes
Old 06-27-2010, 05:44 PM
Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder

Cool Re: 2 or 4-stroke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venice Motor Bikes View Post
I find it funny how people say that the 2-strokes are louder?? Both 2 & 4-strokes use the exact same muffler!
Yup, that is kind of a funny generalization. 2-strokes do seem to be a bit louder with their intake noise...but put a straight pipe on a 4-stroke and an expansion chamber on a 2-stroke and they're both loud as heyell!
Nothing is out of my realm,
if it doesn't fit, make it fit! Beer is the answer....what was the question?
A sense of humor costs nothing, why don't people use them more often?
"You can't buy respect.....you have to earn it"
==================================================

Last edited by scotto-; 11-21-2010 at 04:00 PM.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:40 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by strotter View Post
My $.02 I had a HT 2 stroke. I will never own one again. If you are over 25, mixing the oil and the noise gets old after the second day.

Yus... I must agree - turning my wrist once a month to add 2.6 oz of oil to two gallons of gasoline for my daily driver is indeed a horribly taxing chore, I dunno ifn I can take it much longer in my doddering geriatric state

(that's 100:1 Amsoil mix BTW)