rim tacoing

GoldenMotor.com

N8dogg

Apr 25, 2010
san diego
my back rim is tacoing slightly and I tried taking it to the local bike shop but they wouldnt fix the spokes for me. Is it bad to be riding when the rim is tacoing ? It isnt bad but it does worry me a little

beentryin

Apr 24, 2010
goshen,ohio
you can get them perfectly straight if you work the spokes,but spokes are like head bolts on a car engine ,once you tighten the they stretch,

Junster

Jun 2, 2009
Washington St.
Use a piece of wire wrapped around one of the rear stays for a pointer and spin the rim. tighten and loosen the spokes to true it up then spin the rim and use a box end wrench to bounce off the spokes as it spins. You listen for the tightness. To loose sounds dead to tight sounds to tight. It may take a bit but after the first one you'll be good enough to always do it yourself.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I think you'd be surprised at just how many spokes are loose or too tight after you mount the sprocket/rag joint. The problem is, after you get the wheel trued up, and re-mount the rag joint, it all goes out the window (sometimes).

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
The easiest way (it takes a little time) is to remove the wheel from the bike, remove the tire and tube and use a screw driver on the spoke nipples. Look up "wheel truing" on google for an in depth overview of how to do it, and then take your time.

It really is pretty easy.

noco

Sep 9, 2009
fort collins colorado
wow the title suggested that it had folded.....when i used to ride downhill i would stomp, and slam the wheel untill it was kinda true....but that was just to get you off the hill....the whell at that point was already junk.....hey just tighten your loose spokes and ride some more