Need Magneto for GT2 Starfire 48cc

GoldenMotor.com

2dawgs

Feb 15, 2010
Gilbert, AZ
Received 48cc replacement magneto from Spookytooth; does not fit. Spookytooth said that they don't make magneto replacements for the GT2 Starfire 48cc anymore.

Does anyone know where I can get a replacement magneto?

HELP!

2dawgs

Feb 15, 2010
Gilbert, AZ
Cabinfever1977,

I check both sites and the one's pictured are exactly the same as the one Spookytooth sent me, which does not fit. The old one on my motor has four holes & larger around the shoe than the ones offer by these vendors.

The Spookytooth rep told me if my engine was more than one year old I might as well toss the engine since they don't produce the proper magneto for it. This sounds totally crazy to me; so far can't find one that fits my motor which was made in 08'. Hope it ain't so.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
I also have a 48cc Starfire GT-2 grubee motor from 1-15-09 and was bought from gasbike.net. So i went and looked at my magneto,well guess what it has 6 holes and i do have pics.

Pic 1 is a mag from thatsdax/ pic 2,3,and 4 is my mag, even tho the pullstart is in the way, you can still see the 3 holes on top and bottom and looks the same as the replacement ones.
If you have a diffrent mag you will need to take a pic and show us.

Attachments

Last edited:

2dawgs

Feb 15, 2010
Gilbert, AZ
Talked USA Bikes, said the one I received should work. Decided to try another one and guess what it works fine. The one from Spooky is a tad too small and can't clear the magnet (can only assume it is distorted).

My mistake about the 6 holes; mine was covered in oil and the last 2 holes were plugged.

Anyway, thanks City of Angels for helping me out. Cabinfever thanks for confirming my thoughts that the engine should not be tossed as the Spooky rep told me.

BTW this engine is used and I got it for $50; thus the need for some refurbishment (still cheaper than trying to buy a new one; if I even could).

Last question, the key is missing from the drive sprocket. Does anyone know where to get one and how to replace it?

Thanks again for helping out a mechanically challenged one.