Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 05-09-2010, 03:26 PM
Default Can You Help With This?

Hello, I'm currently working on a 3 speed vintage road bike, it has a gearing system I've never worked with. I'm just looking for a little information or need to know stuff about this system. How does it work? What is involved for removal, etc. Thanks guys, To see the bike, please visit ....................ADDICTED BICYCLES.................. - Road King Vintage 3 Speed Road Bike

Thank you everyone.
Old 05-09-2010, 05:23 PM
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member
Default Re: Can You Help With This?

Hmmm. Looks kinda like what was used on the old Schwinn and Huffy bikes I used to have. Pin pushes in to alter the ratio. Unfortunatly I never serviced one of them.
The old Sturmey-Archer info here :Old Bike Blog: How to Adjust a Sturmey-Archer Three-Speed Hub should help.

Old 05-09-2010, 08:04 PM
Super Moderator
Default Re: Can You Help With This?

Clean off that hub and look for a brand name. As Alajoyn said, it is similar to the early Sturmey Archer hubs but there is a difference in the way the linkage is attached. I researched parts availability for an 80s vintage Sturmey hub a couple of years ago and could only find parts through collectors but I was able to download an exploded view of my hub which helped me. Good luck, let us know what you find.
Age and Treachery Will Always Triumph
Over Youth and Skill & "Charlie Don't Ride"