Chain

GoldenMotor.com

fakeplay

Jul 26, 2009
newburyport ma
Need a new chain, I'd like to use one from a reg bike, will it work ?zpt I don't wanna telln ya how it rip ed off on plum island ma. PS my fakeplay name is only my poker name.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
We need a little more information but if you're asking if bicycle chain will work on a 2 stroke engine the answer is no. The kit supplied chain is referred to as #415, probably a metric version of industrial #41, which many of us use. Both of these are noticably larger than standard bike chain in width and roller spacing. I have no personal experience with it but I've heard that there is a BMX style of chain that will also fit the sprockets used on most engine kits. You'll get lots of other advice here, I'm sure, but I hope I've helped answer your original question.
Tom

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
My dual start dual clutch kit came with 410 chain which is the same size as standard bmx chain and its also the size of my single speed cruiser bike chain.

So when i went to a bike store i picked up 2 sets of diamondback bmx chain at $10 each,one for my engine side and one for peddal side.

But we don't know if yours is 415 or 410 chain, if its 415 you may have to replace with the same thing or maybe #41. You should measure your chain and we can tell you what size you have.

taddthewadd

Mar 1, 2009
Visalia, California
A vendor here told me they only run a BMX chain which is commonly called a 1/8 chain. This will work on some kits and not on others. The reason is it depends on the size of the drive gear that the chain wraps around on your engine. Some are wider than others. If you kit came with a 415 (wider heavier duty chain) then most likely the BMX chain wont work. My kit came with a 415 and the BMX chain wouldn't work. I asked the vendor and he said I could grind the engine gear thinner so it would work with the BMX chain. I believe the tensil strength of a good BMX chain is around 700 pounds which should be sufficient and gives more clearance for your tire.