Does the carb have to be perfectly level?

GoldenMotor.com

wemo101

Apr 6, 2010
NJ
Just got my first BGF kit. Installing it in an old junked diamond back (26" front wheel and 24" rear). It appears that my installation will result in the engine (and carb) tilting forward maybe 15 or 20 degrees. I know that level is preferred, but how much deviation will allow it to still run ok? Thanks

taddthewadd

Mar 1, 2009
Visalia, California
I haven't run mine yet but I ordered a billet intake for my bike which makes the carb slant more. I talked to Troyboy (pirate cycles) and he said it will be ok. He also said he has a bike with a lot of tilt and it runs fine. I will find out how mine does soon.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
You should be fine. The tilt will have to be excessive to effect the float and 15 to 20 degrees should not cause you any problems. Good luck, ride safe.
Tom

wemo101

Apr 6, 2010
NJ
Well, I can report sucess (I Guess). Started first shot, and after a little tweek on the mixture? screw, ran like I knew what I was doing. But I suspect that the motor position makes the front drive gear evr so slightly out of line w the rear sprocket. The idler pulley is getting chewed up after 4-5 miles of use. My guess is others have solved this before so I'll scan the archives ....... I still can't get over how much fun these lil' china girls are!

karryhunt

Apr 17, 2010
South Florida...brrr
Well, I can report sucess (I Guess). Started first shot, and after a little tweek on the mixture? screw, ran like I knew what I was doing. But I suspect that the motor position makes the front drive gear evr so slightly out of line w the rear sprocket. The idler pulley is getting chewed up after 4-5 miles of use. My guess is others have solved this before so I'll scan the archives ....... I still can't get over how much fun these lil' china girls are!
If you chewing up the idler after 4 or 5 miles you better check your aligment. I have 250 miles on mine and it still looks good. I do perfer the upgraded one with the bearing but be careful not to over tighten like I did and strip the threads or it will lool like this.

Attachments

wemo101

Apr 6, 2010
NJ
I'm sure you are right. I'm doing some research now, I might have to re fabricate a new front motor bracket to adjust the alignment. Looking to see how others ahve tackled it. Thanks

taddthewadd

Mar 1, 2009
Visalia, California
I started a thread I think called chain line issues pretty recently and someone posted showing a rear motor mount that swivels. It would be perfect for what you are looking for.

taddthewadd

Mar 1, 2009
Visalia, California
I was mistaken, It wasn't in that thread. It was in another one that I stumbled on when I was doing a search on chain alignment. I tried to find it and no luck.

It was a rear engine mount that clamped onto the seat tube and sort of had a hinge inbetween the clamp and the engine. It would allow you to swivel the rear of the engine left or right. If you swivel the engine to the left then you could have more clearance for the chain to miss the tire and be in better alignment with the sprocket.