Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle Welcome Forum > Introduce Yourself

Introduce Yourself Meet & greet your fellow motorized bicyclists, make introductions and even find others in your area.

Old 04-25-2010, 07:23 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie
Default 4 cycle vs 2 cycle; centrifugal clutch or not??

I am ready to by a couple of kits (one for me and one for my wife), but not sure which ones I want. I want to be able to pedal and then when we're tired be able to switch to the motor. Are the 4 stroke 50cc motors that much quieter than the 80 or 50 cc 2 strokes? Also with the centrifugal clutch..what are the down sides as compared to one with a clutch handle? The one I saw and watched was a 80 cc w/o a centrifugal clutch and the guy showing it to me recommended the upgrade to a centrifugal clutch. I also want to tow a bike trailer with gear....and wonder if the 2 stroke would provide additional power for this I might need and wonder if the 4 stroke would also provide sufficient power.

I would appreciate the advice from those out there who know. Thanks for your help. Howard
Old 04-25-2010, 09:23 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: 4 cycle vs 2 cycle; centrifugal clutch or not??

Welcome to the forum. If this is your first build, I would go 2 stroke with a manual clutch. It's just very simple. Just my opinion.
“You're only young once, but you can be immature as long as you like" -Unknown