Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 03-18-2010, 05:33 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: What's the real reason for Chain Tensioners

Some important reasons for tensioners are, The enjoyment you get from knowing that something besides the wheels and tires are spinning at various speeds , and it looks mechanically appealing to the eye .
Also , tensioners may even give the impression that your bike is exremely high tech , and you are a person of stature .
Old 03-18-2010, 05:34 PM

Did some modification on my stock chain guide. I did some mill work and belt-sander work on the bracket and drilled for a cross screw (remember, the area you are putting a 1/32" hole into is going to be totally captivated by 1/8" plates and two 5/16" bolts depending on the kit).

Made an aluminum pulley and pressed the bearing into it. It took a little bracket fine tuning to put it dead in line but I have it dialed in now as witnessed by two light gray centered tracks.

The bigger pulley has a much kinder radius on the chain path and spins at a nice roll.

I spent a morning working with chain lengths and half links but all variations put my wheel in a poor position in the drop outs. I was able to get both chains set about right with the wheel pulled full back but really needed to take out just a bit of slack in the drive chain and keep it from slapping the fender. Sorry I don't have any good stories, hope not to.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bike parts_3_15_10.jpg (224.8 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg bike parts_b_3_15_10.JPG (230.8 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg bike parts_c_3_15_10.JPG (247.9 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg bike parts_d_3_15_10.JPG (185.9 KB, 71 views)
Old 03-31-2010, 09:07 PM

I've actually got a story. It's not funny (at least for me) and was probably the worst experience I've had with these bikes so far.

So....Once day I was riding my Huffy Crankbook to the bike shop. The whole assembly process was complete (sprocket, engine...everything) except for the chain. I did not have the right size chain tool at the time and didn't know what else to do. So I rode this heavy gear-less bike 7 miles to my bike shop. After about 45 minutes or so I get there. I mark the chain to where I need it, take it into the shop and get it cut down to size. I then proceed to install the chain for the first time on my bike. It's perfect and I do a last minute check of everything before my first start in the shops parking lot. What I failed to realize is that the damn idler wheel was not on there tight enough and I didn't think of wrapping inner tubbing before mounting it. So I get the bike up to speed, pop the clutch, and vrooooommmm!!!! First thing that went wrong was the throttle. I hadn't lubed up the needle so it was stuck and with the engine racing I went flying from one end of the parking lot to the other in the blink of an eye. This being my first time riding a motorized bicycle so I didn't think to pull the clutch and I had no lever pull brakes! So I make a sharp turn and just barely dodge the curb only to be shot into the middle of the street. So there I am panicking thinking I'm going to get hit by a car on a bike I can't control. But all of a sudden I hear a noise. SNAP!!! The rear wheel locks up completely, stalls the engine and brings me to a complete stop in the middle of the street. I quickly lift of the back wheel and run back onto the side walk. Once there I look down and the idler wheel bent into the spooks Snapping 5 right off and had 3 partially broken off hanging off the side of the wheel. Shocked, angry and very tired I drop the bike and start the "cuss fest." After 15 minutes of calming down I call my friend who brings his truck and drives me back home. After that I stripped the engine off the bike and took the bike back to Walmart. After another 2 months I went out and bought my self a Schwinn Riverside. All is good now. Got 350 miles and counting on my new bike. I know the idler wheel ruined this perfectly good bike but I was actually glad I had it then. I don't know what would have happened if it didn't bend into the spokes.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:31 PM

There Is A Spring Loaded Tensioner That Bolts To The Chain Stay Is Adjustable At Usa Cycles..$29..made By Kore..their Phone Number Is 866 946 5888