Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle Welcome Forum > Introduce Yourself

Introduce Yourself Meet & greet your fellow motorized bicyclists, make introductions and even find others in your area.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:37 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie
Default very excited

I discovered bike engins a few weeks ago. Got on several different web sites, and got to thinking that since I love to tinker and love unusual gadgets this might be for me. Now the only problem was convincing my wife. I devised myself a plan that made so much sense even to me that it was scary. I reasoned to my wife that seing as how I only live four miles from the factory that I could invest a little money and save alot over the course of the summer. Now my dodge 2500 4x4 gets about 11 miles to the gallon on a good day, that is when it is warmed up, four miles does not warm up a 5.9 gas engin. My motorized bicycle can get 100 to 150 miles per gallon. I will save at least $600 per year. I told her that I can pay for the engin kit and a used bike in less than a month. Needless to say I have a engin kit ordered and should be here any day now. I am VERY EXCITED about this project.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:52 PM
Super Moderator
Smile Re: very excited

Welcome to the forum Indybiker, glad you joined us.

In 2004 I started commuting on my motorized bicycle to work, it was not long before the saving of fuel cost paid for my bike and engine. I have been commuting to work ever since everyday rain or shine, freezing cold or brutally hot. And I love every minute of it.

Old 03-10-2010, 08:01 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: very excited

warning motorising bicicles is addictive
Old 03-10-2010, 11:19 PM
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member

i have an 03 dodge slt quad cab with the 5.7 in it i feel ya man i also have a 84 nissan 300zx with the v6 but then i built my bike and i use it more then anything as a comuter i use my truck for hualin my car for groceries and my bike for fishin trips and so on i average about 33 miles a day on my bike about half a tank if i did that in my truck or car its an arm or leg i got 300 miles on my bike and i paid $27 bucks for my bike from a pawn shop.. hagha and $119 for my engine kit i think its one of the best investments yet
Old 03-10-2010, 11:25 PM

Welcome! You are going to love tinkering with these things
Old 03-11-2010, 03:28 AM

Rotflmao, i love the wifey stories, sound familiar. Welcome to the forum, I am sure you will be happy with your decision, but like before mentioned, watch out these are addictive, next thing ya know you will be trying to come up with a reason to tell the wifey why you need 2 or 3 of these,lol. Stick around here and read around and you will have no problems solving the minor issues. I reccomend reading, and re reading the pre motorized information.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:18 PM

So you live four miles from work, and a warmed up engine gets 11 MPG. You're using roughly 0.75 gallons of gas a day to commute.

If gas is $2.75 (it's higher than that here, but I don't know exactly where you are), that's about $2.06 a day, or $10.31 a week.

A gallon of premix is going to cost $2.75 + oil, figure $1.50 for oil. So $4.25/gallon. Now, let's be a little realistic and say your motorized bicycle will get 80MPG. (It also makes the math easier.) You'll be using 0.1 gallons of gas a day, which will cost you $0.43 each day, or $2.15 a week.

Let's add in the cost of the bike and some accessories, estimating about $250. We'll subtract the motorized bicycle fuel cost from the truck fuel cost, getting $1.63 a day difference. Dividing $250 by $1.63 gives us ... 153.37.

So with these numbers, you will get to the break even point after you have commuted to work the 154th time. That's just shy of 31 weeks. That's also not counting the cost of a helmet and jacket - both of which should be on your shopping list.

Of course, a cheaper build brings that down, as does higher mileage. Another thing you can do to really tip the scales in your favor is to drop your truck insurance from full coverage to liability (if that's possible for you).

Sorry, I was compelled to do the math. But I promise not to tell your wife.
Old 03-12-2010, 06:46 PM

Welcome! These things are fun... They seem to have less mileage than advertised- Oh well. An expansion pipe adds power and i heard it saves some gas, too.
Last night, I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, and I thought to myself, "Where in the world is the ceiling?"

66/80cc Stinger on a Black Huffy.
6-speed shifter kit pulling a trailer.
Everything stock(so far)