Upgrading to 26x2.3 Tires

GoldenMotor.com

bradentonmotorbikes

Nov 4, 2009
Bradenton Florida
Hey guys, I'm about to buy some 26x2.3 tires, and I was wondering if I need to buy any special tubes for them or will standard tubes from like Walmart work. I was also wondering, I currently have 26x2.1's on my bike now, will 2.3's also fit the rims? I cant find any measurements on the rims that tell me a certain size constraint.

Thanks guys!

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
regular tubes will work. most of them will say on the box "26 x 1.95 - 26x2.125" or something.

i run thornproof tubes in my 26 x 2.3's and the tubes say 2.125, and there's no problem

we used to run 16" tubes in our 20" bmx racers to save weight. not good for flats, though.

most 26" rims will fit a bigger tire. the average cruiser rim is the same rim they use for all sizes, just re-labeled. my rims say for 2.125, but i've seen the exact rim say "for 1.95."

it's just marketing, basically.

i've run tires from 26 x 1.95's to 26 x 2.3's on the same rims with the same tubes.

TandocTools

Nov 24, 2009
KS
Is there a problem fitting 2.35s with the drive chain? I have a set I'd like to use, but I read that 2.15 was as wide as you can go.

svc

Jan 10, 2009
sydney australia
I went from 1.95 to 2.3 on my mountain bike. The tyre said i needed some special rims that i dont think i have, so i ignored that. It went in fine on the standard rim and fit's the bike fine except i have to dismantle the brakes a bit more to get the wheel off.
The engine chain rub's very slightly on the tire but that is only because i installed the sprocket with the offset set inwards. If i flipped the sprocket it would be fine but there is NO WAY i am going thru that again. So for now i put up with the rubbing.

Look on your bike with the existing tyre check clearance on the frame, clearance on the chains and your brakes if you have rim brakes.