AZ Motor Assisted Bicycle Registration

GoldenMotor.com

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
If you would like to register your motor assisted bicycle in AZ you need a bill of sale, or if it is home built you must do the following listed below.

ADOT Response: Hello, you need to take the vehicle to any MVD office for an inspection. You need invoices, etc. for all the essential parts. At that time they will assign the moped a serial number to use as the VIN. Mopeds are legal in Arizona. A moped is a vehicle that meets the following criteria: human powered, aided w/a help motor; engine must be no more than 49cc; and, maximum speed is 25 MPH or less. A driver license is required as well as insurance. Mopeds are registered but not titled. Fees are $10.75. A moped cannot be ridden on public roadways w/posted minimum speeds if the moped cannot attain the minimum posted speed. A cycle (49 cc or above) that does not meet all of the moped criteria but is manufactured primarily for use on public roadways is considered a motor driven cycle and is subject to title and register as a motorcycle to include a motorcycle license or "M" endorsement on the driver license. Thank you.
3/1/2010 7:25:17 AM

Tcams

Oct 18, 2009
Tucson, ZonieLand
Re: AZ MAB Registration

Dont ask me why but reading that got me really confused. That means my brain is Fried and I do have a couple questions.

So If my MAB meets all the requirements of moped and I get a serial # from the MVD I am alloud to go the speed limit as long as my bike can obtain the Limit?

Does the drivers licence have to be a class M or can It be a normal one? I wonder how much moped insurnace will cost?

I would definatly do all this if I was able to MOB the streets WOT and not get hassled by the Porkers.

That would be so awesome.

EDIT: What is a Bill of Scale??

Last edited:

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona

So If my MAB meets all the requirements of moped and I get a serial # from the MVD I am alloud to go the speed limit as long as my bike can obtain the Limit?
I am confused myself Tcams. I believe what it means is that you can only do 25mph, but if the minimum posted speed is 30mph and your bike will not do 30 you cannot ride on the road or street. I have never seen any road/street with a minimum speed limit posted. I do know our Interstates have a minimum HP or engine size posted I believe.

Does the drivers licence have to be a class M or can It be a normal one? I wonder how much moped insurnace will cost?
For a moped you only need a D class drivers license (Normal Drivers License) Anything 50cc and above you need a M endorsement (Motorcycle License)

In the past two weeks I have had many phone calls, emails and going down to the DMV and every time I am more confused then ever.

To past inspection for a moped you will need a mirror, speedometer,horn, head light, tail light and brake light. I have everything except a brake light, but I did see a cordless tail/brake light at JJ Bicycles on Stone for like $30.

Tcams

Oct 18, 2009
Tucson, ZonieLand

"A moped cannot be ridden on public roadways w/posted minimum speeds if the moped cannot attain the minimum posted speed"

This to me is saying if the speed limit is 35mph and my bike is registered as a moped and what not I am alloud to go 35mph becuase my bike can obtain the speed limit.

Im prolly wrong tho. my brain Hurts.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona

"A moped cannot be ridden on public roadways w/posted minimum speeds if the moped cannot attain the minimum posted speed"

This to me is saying if the speed limit is 35mph and my bike is registered as a moped and what not I am alloud to go 35mph becuase my bike can obtain the speed limit.

Im prolly wrong tho. my brain Hurts.
Yeah. it could mean that too laff

Welcome to my past two weeks lol

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona

And the cop that pulls you over will interpreted in a totally different way, then two days later you get pulled over by a different cop and he will interpret it in another way laff

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona

I am hearing more and more MAB riders bikes being confiscated for no proof of ownership by Tucson Police department. It's there way of hitting below the belt and getting us MAB riders off the street.

I just wanted to pass on that I have registered my bikes at National Bike Registry - Prevent Theft: Register your bike in the NBR Database!

They will send you a Certificate of Registration and a tamper-resistant NBR label to identify your bike.

# $10 will cover a bike for 10 years.
# $25 will cover a bike for 30 years.
$25 Family Registration will cover up to 5 bikes at a single address. Each bike is registered for 10 years.

You can even register scooters as well.

The Tucson Police Department and the University of Arizona uses the National Bicycle Registry National Bike Registry - Police Members

So that tells me that registering your Bike with them should be sufficient proof of ownership.

.flg.

Attachments

Last edited:

Tcams

Oct 18, 2009
Tucson, ZonieLand

What exactly is a "tamper-resistant NBR label " Is it like a sticker that I can put on my bike ?

How long did the certificate take to get to you after you paid?

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona

What exactly is a "tamper-resistant NBR label " Is it like a sticker that I can put on my bike ?

How long did the certificate take to get to you after you paid?
Yes it is a sticker for your bike. I just registered all my bikes the other day so I have not received the certificates yet. But they said 3-4 weeks you should receive it.

For $10, it is not a bad ideal for everyone to do. I am gonna carry my certificate for my bike whenever I ride so the TPD can't say I am not the owner and impound it. Plus, if it ever gets stolen, I might just have a better chance of getting it back.

Attachments

Last edited:

Tcams

Oct 18, 2009
Tucson, ZonieLand

Just ordered mine. I would hate to have my bike taken from me for such a stupid reason.

Who have you herd that has gotten theirs taken.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona

Just ordered mine. I would hate to have my bike taken from me for such a stupid reason.

Who have you herd that has gotten theirs taken.
A customer of mine Tony had his bike impounded for no proof of ownership. It was the Black & Green Huffy I built for him. Two members here I believe and one was warned for no proof. And many customers of UsaFreedom have had there bikes impounded for no proof of ownership. Talk to Ed he will tell you all about it.

I believe Tony got his bike out of impound, he was smart enough to save the bill of sale I gave him. I am waiting to hear from him if he got it out and how much it cost him.

I have also contacted the TPD to ask them what proof of ownership they are asking for, so far my emails go unanswered and when I call they say they will have someone contact me.. no one has called me back.

Attachments

Last edited: