Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 02-28-2010, 07:23 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: Need some help and advice......

Huh, yeah, one of those lines is a vent line, then.

If the existing tank is below the carb now, I wonder whether having additional fuel pressure from gravity (from a top tank) would cause a flooding problem. I'm not sure how the fuel from the lower tank gets drawn up to the carb on that setup.

Edit: Oh, I know what would happen - if you leave the petcock from the top tank open long enough, fuel will start coming out of the vent tube in the carb. I think you definitely want to use a top tank as a "hot reserve," but not leave the valve between the two open.

Last edited by Nougat; 02-28-2010 at 07:25 PM.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:39 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Nougat....that's what i am thinking as well. A hot reserve might be the way to go.

I'm looking at drilling a hole in the lower gas tank's cap and inserting the fuel line from the upper tank and filling the lower tank as needed.

Just have to make sure I have the line going into the lower gas cap sealed properly.

I think there are a variety of sealants out there I can use to bond the fuel line to the lower gas cap.

Once I get all the parts, I'll let ya'll know how it ends up and I'll post up a picture of my final set-up

This stuff sure is fun and you guys have lots of great ideas!

Thanks much-George
If some's good...more is better and too much ain't enough.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:00 PM
Super Moderator

Your carb is a diaphram type that 'sucks'. The two lines are for fuel and vent. The same system is used in the new Titan, (HS) 35cc motors. The tank cap is non vented. I would probably go with Bike Guy Joe's advice; run a fuel line down from the upper tank with a petcock between it and the lower. Use the upper as your reserve but remember you'll need to vent the upper tank so fuel will flow when you open the petcock. Retain the non vented cap on your lower tank to prevent overfilling and leakage.
Age and Treachery Will Always Triumph
Over Youth and Skill & "Charlie Don't Ride"